Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Roughyeds to be bought by Koukash?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Dr Koukash allegedly has around 500 million in his personal kitty, which is growing year upon year. I'm not actually sure that he's bothered about making money from his sporting ventures. Think of him as a very low level Abramaovich, who's only in it at Chelsea for the ego trip and personal glory.

Posted Image

#62 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 700 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

TAOHF - just spat my dinner out laughing at BP and Bernabau mentioned in the same sentence ha ha....

To be honest I'm not sure what the Doctors motivations are to be involved with us.

He cant seriously think you can make a profit out of RL.  Most of the clubs are up to their eyeballs in debt and those the rest haven't admitted it yet.

OAFC is probably more attractive but he'll have to spend a few million to try to get Latics back in the Prem to try to get a payback.

I can see the Doctor getting some comeback on getting BP/Whitebank as part of buying OAFC and flogging the land on for houses and building a joint ground for us both.

On the subject of CH, he's going to want some sort of pay day or position in the new regime or both.  Personally i'd rather see a clean sweep and new faces all round.

#63 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

until you get to the promised land of the premiership 40 million, if it's that easy to make a profit in RL how come our CE a former accountant cant manage to make any

cos he's not very good at accounting lol

seriously though...widnes in 2009 (irrc) made a profit of a million quid while still in the championship,with crowds of around 3500-4000...

*found the link
http://www.runcornan...hted-1m-5885429

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#64 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

On the subject of CH, he's going to want some sort of pay day or position in the new regime or both. Personally i'd rather see a clean sweep and new faces all round.

chris will probably keep a position within the club during the transition period and be part of a actually multi person board for a change instead of CH being sat at a desk on his todd.

Edited by roughyedspud, 19 September 2013 - 06:29 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#65 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

New stadium eh? Has a site been identified? Will it get planning permission? What's the timescale?

Preliminary work has already begun on delivering the new North Stand at BP and it's supposed to be ready for next season. So how do you think Oldham Council will react to completing this and writing off £5m of ratepayers money?

Unless Dr. K is proposing to refurbish the rest of BP I don't see how it works albeit I'd love to see a brand new stadium i.e. at Beal Valley. 

#66 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

theres plenty of room at boundary park for a new stadium....and has excellent motorway links...

only problem with BP is the way the pitch faces....needs turning 90 degrees

OLDHAM RLFC

#67 OutsiderLookingIn

OutsiderLookingIn
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

http://www.roughyeds...over/#more-9783

‘Positive’ talks on takeover

CHRIS Hamilton, owner of Oldham Rugby League Club (1997) Ltd, has confirmed that he has had ‘positive’ talks with Dr Marwan Koukash about his plans to buy the club.

Following a series of telephone talks they met on Tuesday night.

Said Chris: “The meeting was a positive one. We are still in the early stages, with a lot of work to be done, but we will continue with the process in terms of moving things forward.

“There isn’t much more I can say at the moment, but we will keep people informed.”

The wealthy horse racing magnate and owner of Salford Red Devils has said he will press ahead with plans to buy both Oldham RL Club and Oldham Athletic FC.

A key part of his ambitious plan, according to reports in the M.E.N., is to build a new stadium in Oldham to house both clubs as well as other sports such as basketball and netball.

He told the paper: “Why can’t I take charge of three clubs ? I know I can and I fully intend to. Owning three clubs can work and they can all prosper, it’s not a problem.

“The talks I had with Chris Hamilton on Tuesday night were extremely productive.

“We still have a lot to do, but I am very hopeful things will come off pretty soon.

“I would like to reach a deal with both clubs and then look at building what would be a sporting destination in Oldham with a new stadium.

“I know for a fact I can look after the interests of all three clubs and make them all a major force.”

#68 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Dr Koukash allegedly has around 500 million in his personal kitty, which is growing year upon year. I'm not actually sure that he's bothered about making money from his sporting ventures. Think of him as a very low level Abramaovich, who's only in it at Chelsea for the ego trip and personal glory.

That is a fantastic post with analysis about a Palestinian refugee and a Russian you have never met.

Did you just work that out from press coverage ?

I bet you have already worked out I am on an ego trip and personal glory from what I have just typed out.Amazing. 

I am in awe.No need to inform you about my personal kitty.

I am just surprised with your amazing knowledge that you haven't informed the Oldham followers the purchase price of both Oldham sports clubs.

#69 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

That is a fantastic post with analysis about a Palestinian refugee and a Russian you have never met.
I bet you have already worked out I am on an ego trip and personal glory from what I have just typed out.Amazing.
I am just surprised with your amazing knowledge that you haven't informed the Oldham followers the purchase price of both Oldham sports clubs.

Not really sure what you hoped to gain from this quite frankly bizarre attack, but I hope your period clears up quickly.

Posted Image

#70 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

:shout: Jesus!!!! Pick up your hand bag and go for a ###### sweety.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#71 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

This club could be bigger than Salford under new Management with the right investment plan and in the right location.

#72 mbna

mbna
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Lactics and Rugby do not mix and never will!!

#73 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Can't be any worse off than at present - the only way us up!

#74 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

when we have the same owner...latics fans are just gonna have to suck it up

Edited by roughyedspud, 19 September 2013 - 11:02 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#75 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

It works at Wigan , Huddersfield and Hull why not at Oldham.

Reading the article by CH I was astounded by his comment. " Why should I be replaced "

Simply because you have lost the trust and respect of a lot of fans would be the cry.

I cannot believe that anyone who has accumulated so much wealth who wants to expand his sporting empire would not want any apart fromthe best people available to run the club with or for him.

In my book that rules CH out on the majority of points apart from possibly his passion.

Edited by HARRYRUBY, 19 September 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#76 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

You may be right there Harry?

There is bound to be some wag on this forum who would suggest that good old Marwan should also contact a certain local buisnessman before he starts throwing the folding stuff at ORLFC PLC!!!

OOPS! LOL!

#77 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

The Doctor is no fool and rest assured the deal will be done on his terms. Great for Oldham if he decides to buy.

#78 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

only problem with BP is the way the pitch faces....needs turning 90 degrees

Why? So it can face Mecca?

#79 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

If all this happens it will be truly exciting and hopefully will put us back to at least the top end of the Championship, if not beyond at some time. It will also see us playing in proper surroundings. However there are a few doubts in my mind. What do others think.

1) Is it all just hot air?

2) Will CH muck it up by insisting that he has a part to play when we all know that a completely new set up is whats needed? If he refuses to walk away and insists on being part of the deal then Mr Koukash may be the one to walk away. Is CH daft enough to stop the development of the club he claims to love?

3) Is this linked in with the bid for Latics? (In other words if the Latics deal fails will MK still want to push ahead with the rugby club on it's own?.)

4) Latics directors seem disinterested, or is it just a business ploy to get the most from a deal? If they are happy with what they have then will we feel the backlash as MK seeks his entrance into football elsewhere?

5) Are the Council so stupid as to stand in the way of a really good stadium being built in the town by using archaic and nonsensical planning rules for the sake of it?

My thoughts:

1) 20% possibility of it being just hot air.

2)  Part 1. Probably. Part 2. Probably.

3) and 4) Same question really I suppose, and my thoughts are that it's the football he wants and if he doesn't get it I don't think the rugby will go ahead on it's own. Probably being unduly pessimistic here, I hope!

5) I really don't know but if they did then they should all be taken out and shot. However I can think of several buildings that have contravened planning rules but have gone ahead anyway. Should we have a multi denominational religious facility under the stand at the eastern end?

At the end of it all I really do want this to happen, and quickly, as it's the best bit of news this club and this town have had for many many years. If we waste this opportunity and it fails to materialise through petty squabbles and stupid politics, then I fear this would be our very last chance.

#80 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

I agree that this is the very last chance and, if Hamilton is seen to have blocked it, and he can gloss it up any way he wants, but people will know, it's the end of his club anyway, as it's and his own credilbility will have gone down the toilet. This could only mean speccies deserting in their hundreds from a club with no future, with the inevitable administration round the corner. So, let's see how much Hamilton does love this club, or is it just hollow words. This is obviously the worst case scenario, but us realists have learned to expect this over the years. Obviously, like all true Oldham fans, I sincerely hope I'm wrong and would be delighted to be proved so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users