Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

marwan koukash at it again..

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

apparently he wants to buy OLDHAM RLFC & OLDHAM ATHLETIC,build the town a new stadium and get the rugby club back into super league and develop a rivalry with salford to match wigan & st helens..

http://www.mancheste...-marwan-5910958

Marwan Koukash wants to launch a sensational double swoop for Oldham Athletic AND Oldham Roughyeds.

The Salford Red Devils owner, who last week underlined his commitment to transform the club into Super League heavyweights by announcing 12 high-profile new signings, had been linked with a move for Latics as we exclusively revealed in June.

And in a frank interview with M.E.N. Sport he has revealed that he not only remains interested in taking over at Boundary Park - but that he has also set his sights on adding Championship One Roughyeds to his portfolio and wants to build a new stadium in Oldham for the pair.

Dr Koukash reckons he can drag the rugby club into Super League and create a St Helens-Wigan style rivalry between them and Salford.

is this guy for real? :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

is he even allowed to own 2 RL clubs?

Edited by roughyedspud, 12 September 2013 - 08:00 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#3 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

What an absolute idiot. I wish he'd take his money and his ambition and go an embarrass rugby union with it.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#4 dredgie

dredgie
  • Coach
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

You aren't allowed to own two RL clubs - one of London's problems when Lenagan bought Wigan and he had to unload his London shares.

Still,he is the only owner of a RL club to feature in Private Eye

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

theres ambition.....then theres blind stupidity

so...can he own 2 RL clubs under RFL laws?

OLDHAM RLFC

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

You aren't allowed to own two RL clubs - one of London's problems when Lenagan bought Wigan and he had to unload his London shares.

cheers.........so its blind stupidity then lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Didn't this story come out months ago? It certainly sounds familiar

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Still,he is the only owner of a RL club to feature in Private Eye

Is that two RL clubs or two SL clubs?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Is it just me or does anyone else think this fella is a breath of fresh air? he is constantly in the papers, he has a high profile, bags of cash, and wants to be involved with rugby league! he should be applauded for his enthusiasm, and he may help to attract other money men into the sport.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

he was rumoured to be interested in latics a couple of months ago......wanting to buy us is new

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Oldham's current stadium wouldn't even allow them into the Championship so why anyone would whinge about being built a new stadium I have no idea. It certainly sums up Rugby League fans though.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Oldham's current stadium wouldn't even allow them into the Championship so why anyone would whinge about being built a new stadium I have no idea. It certainly sums up Rugby League fans though.

the whinge is it's so far from reality its never going to happen...

if he wanted a RL club & a football club he should have bought us not salford lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#13 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

the whinge is it's so far from reality its never going to happen...if he wanted a RL club & a football club he should have bought us not salford lol

Salford being a force in RL seems far from reality so far. I think this is one guy who sticks by his word and prides himself on that.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#14 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Assuming for a moment ownership rules could be dealt with by Mrs Koukash owning a club, or by some other means, is he rich enough to fund such a venture?

Clearly he's got a few bob, but I was under the impression he was into the tens of millions rather than hundreds, clearly I'm probably wrong, but he'll need to spend or under write a fair wedge to make this a reality!

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

ive wondered how much he's worth too...

his "horse racing empire" costs a fortune,he's committed to spending a few quid at salford...

add to that another RL club...plus a black hole football club....plus a new stadium!!

id say he'd need £250m+ to be able to fund all that

OLDHAM RLFC

#16 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Salford being a force in RL seems far from reality so far. I think this is one guy who sticks by his word and prides himself on that.

acutally it is'nt.....they are already in SL and already have a new stadium....spending a few quid on the squad is all that was needed

OLDHAM RLFC

#17 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

What an absolute idiot. I wish he'd take his money and his ambition and go an embarrass rugby union with it.

I trust that was with tongue firmly in cheek. I certainly hope so!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#18 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

I really cannot understand the Doom and Gloomers.    Especially from Oldham.     Oldham RL are a sleeping giant and under Mr Hamilton they will stay asleep.   

Dr K  is a breath of fresh air and although I am disappointed he is looking at Latics for Mrs Koukash to take a stake in the Roughyeds would be great.

He may also be looking to buy control of the Oldham Chron - (is it still Hirst Kidd & Rennie ?) & then he will print his own publicity.

A MAJOR man and dont doubt his willingness to upset a few dinosaurs along the way.

Edited by Segovia Carpet, 12 September 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#19 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

absolute breath of fresh air into the sport and i cant beleive people are knocking him and suggesting he goes elsewhere
we should be trying to attract more of the likes of him and Nahaboo instead of putting them off

seems to me that there is a lot of jealousy from the teams with no prospective backers and a fear of the "sleeping giants" finally waking up and challenging their place at the top table

#20 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Let him do it.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users