Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

marwan koukash at it again..

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Chris Hamilton just said on Radio Manchester "really positive news for the club", "hopefully things will develop".

edit - and they say the RFL board would need to give explicit permission for someone to own two clubs - although not sure if that covers the Mrs Koukash being an owner scenario

Edited by Rascal Bongo Stork, 12 September 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#62 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Imagine that...

devilred001_zpsc311ee4a.jpg

;) 

Edited by Hornetto, 12 September 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#63 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Marwen Koukash wants Barton to become a destination, water parks, have some ownership of the stadium.

He is talking and listening to fans about what they want and hopefully work with the stadium to achieve it.

He is a property dealer and maybe there are reasons behind the interest.

#64 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

minor update  http://www.mancheste...r-rugby-6057864

#65 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

I wouldn't call that "minor". It is quite significant especially for Oldham fans. In their shoes, I would not know what to think. On the one hand, it's great that anyone wishes to invest and the only way is up, on the other the implication is feeder club status.

Would also worry about any involvement in the Latics if I were a Reds fan. Too many interests, not enough focus on Salford.

#66 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I think this is a really bad move.  People should not be allowed to own two RL clubs in this way.

That's me.  I'm done.

#67 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I can't see anything in that article that says he's been given permission (other than the headline)

Rugby League bosses will not stand in Marwan Koukash’s way should the Salford Reds owner press ahead with plans to buy Oldham RL club.

For any individual to own a second professional rugby league club, they simply need permission from the RFL’s board of directors.

Obtaining this would probably be a formality for Koukash who claims he is serious in his intention to both buy the Championship club and build them a new stadium.

It was the RFL themselves who persuaded Koukash to buy and save Salford last Christmas.

Koukash has also expressed an interest in buying Oldham Athletic FC which would also not present any problems.

Koukash would ideally like to see Latics sharing the same stadium with their RL neighbours.

A senior spokesman for the RFL told MEN Sport: “To own a second club, any individual simply needs permission from the RFL board for this to happen.”

Koukash is expected to hold talks this week with his Oldham RL counterpart Chris Hamilton to discuss a possible buyout.

Roughyeds would welcome Koukash interest

Koukash wants to buy Oldham Athletic and Oldham RLFC

Hamilton has welcomed Koukash’s interest and Salford and Oldham are already involved in a dual registration scheme that allows young Reds players to play for the Roughyeds.

If Koukash does take charge of Oldham he is expected to put either a family member or a business associate in charge of the club's daily running. That would leave him free to oversee affairs at Super League Salford.

Such a set up would not be new to rugby league.

Super League has already seen Gary Hetherington in charge at Leeds with wife Kath having a similar role for Hull FC.

Wigan Warriors’ chairman and owner Ian Lenagan has strong links with professional football. He is also the chairman and owner of Oxford United FC.

Lenagan, who is from Wigan, set up a business in Milton Keynes and later became involved in Oxford United. Oxford’s players trained with the Warriors players earlier this season.

Dave Whelan also had a major say in the running of Wigan Warriors while Wigan Athletic were a Premier League club.

Meanwhile, Koukash will meet this week with Reds coach Brian Noble to discuss pre-season plans.

Shoddy journalism, it looks like to me

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#68 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Rugby League bosses will not stand in Marwan Koukash’s way should the Salford Reds owner press ahead with plans to buy Oldham RL club.

You seem to have skipped the first line.

#69 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

You seem to have skipped the first line.

Yes, but I also read the actual quote, which doesn't say that. The article also later states that there "probably" won't be a problem, which implies that nothing as been agreed

EDIT: The story is the quote “To own a second club, any individual simply needs permission from the RFL board for this to happen". Everything else reads as speculation

Edited by brooza, 18 September 2013 - 02:25 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#70 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

i can't see the RFL board of directors standing in his way. they desperatly need people with funds to invest in the game, and like him or loath him the Doc seems to be willing to do that at this present time.

#71 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

It's about time the game was shook up again and moved forward and maybe Koukash is the guy to do it. After being inivative for the early years of SL the game seems to have reverted to the beer bellied, suited, naive, narrow minded, we know best mindset of the Clubs board rooms which almost sent our game under.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#72 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

I think this is a really bad move.  People should not be allowed to own two RL clubs in this way.

I seem to remember when Ian Lenagan left London to take over at Wigan he had to surrender his shareholding with the London club.

I wonder what the situation is,and how it may be viewed,when Gary Hetherington is joint owner (?)/chief executive at Leeds;Kath Hetherington is now chief executive at Wakefield and their son-in-law James Rule is part owner chief executive at a 3rd Super League club,Widnes ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24048026

Does an outright owner of 2 clubs in separate leagues differ from a family with such an important role at 3 clubs in the same division ?

I am aware that the RFL do not police shareholders very well.

How will it be viewed in the relegation season next year - if that is the case - when Leeds and Wakey play Widnes on the artificial turf if the result is crucial ?

#73 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

The underlying theme is that Koukash wants Whitebank for grazing...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#74 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

The underlying theme is that Koukash wants Whitebank for grazing...

not much grass on the pitch for grazing
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#75 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

He wants to get Oldham back into the SL if the article is anything to go by.

Oldham is a lost hotbed of RL. Could be huge for RL around Manchester if there are two big clubs on the outskirts of the city.

"The Manchester Derby"?
Posted Image

#76 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

i see nigel wood is still claiming responsibity for getting koukash involved in RL.........when all along it was eamon mcmanu.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#77 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

the updates continue, contact been made and positive talks with ORLFC Chairman Chris Hamilton http://www.mancheste...mission-6062458

#78 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 978 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

I think the guy is ace.

#79 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I think the guy is ace.

So do i

#80 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

co-sign.. love the Doctor..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users