Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

marwan koukash at it again..

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

I wish more like him would come into Rugby League.

#82 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Oldham is a true hotbed of rugby leage, the number of top class players that have come from Oldham in the last 10-15 years is amazing, Harris, Sculthrope, eastmond, sinfield, McDermott etc.

#83 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

I wish he'd buy London. And I'm a Salford fan

#84 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

I wish more like him would come into Rugby League.

they said the same about dessie johnson at barrow.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#85 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Did they. How long was Dessie at Barrow before he got found out?

#86 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Oldham is a true hotbed of rugby leage, the number of top class players that have come from Oldham in the last 10-15 years is amazing, Harris, Sculthrope, eastmond, sinfield, McDermott etc.

Hot bed? Barry McDermott started out over 20 years ago, seems they produce one star every four years. Salford produce a star every what? 10 years. I don't know what Koukash is up to but the logical conclusion may be he wants to resurrect Oldham from the doldrums and link them to Salford for the start of developing a player (and fan) pathway. Goegraphically that works with them being on opposite sides of the M60 ring road. Koukash then just needs to promote the game in the big hole in the middle.

The fears over a "feeder club" must be grounded in the continuing wishful thinking that Oldham can one day make it back to Superleague, don't therefore destroy the dream!!. In reality for me Koukash needs fans and juniors and Oldham is somewhere he may get them like Hetherington has with south Leeds.

Even without Koukash making them a "feeder club", like Hunslet, Oldhams position and status already makes them a feeder club as your list of players fed to big clubs (directly from the junior clubs or ORLF) of long standing shows. We were "feeding" Leeds with top players in the 1960's.

Merger by stealth is alive an well I think.

#87 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

well good morning sunshine......lol

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#88 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Even without Koukash making them a "feeder club", like Hunslet, Oldhams position and status already makes them a feeder club as your list of players fed to big clubs (directly from the junior clubs or ORLF) of long standing shows. We were "feeding" Leeds with top players in the 1960's.

Merger by stealth is alive an well I think.

I doubt it or why talk about buying Latics and arranging a ground share?

He hardly needed to do that. To win Oldham round he only needed to talk about developing Whitebanks and that would cost millions less.

A de facto feeder status is very much implied but there doesn't seem to be a strategy of running Roughyeds down.

Edited by Northern Sol, 20 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#89 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

cos theres nothing to run down lol

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#90 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

cos theres nothing to run down lol

Well Oldham might yet win promotion to the Championship this season.

If Khoukash then takes over, finds or builds a ground and supplies plenty of finance, who knows what the future holds. Maybe as a feeder club, maybe as a SL club despite protestations from the Leeds delegation.

Comparisons with Hunslet are stupid. Hunslet's population base has been halved by slum clearance etc. Oldham is still a large place with over 200,000 waiting to be wooed. A successful Oldham have great potential.

#91 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Oldham........... Maybe as a SL club.......

So what next? Buy Rochdale and make them an SL club?

Not for me.

#92 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Comparisons with Hunslet are stupid. Hunslet's population base has been halved by slum clearance etc. Oldham is still a large place with over 200,000 waiting to be wooed. A successful Oldham have great potential.

A better comparison would be Huddersfield about 20 years ago.

That's me.  I'm done.

#93 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,610 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Not for me.

Well that's alright because they're not trying to win you over.
Posted Image

#94 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not really.

Most people who knew the club well (I'm talking the 1000 who show upto games now rather than the extra 2000 whilst we were winning) acknowledged that he wasn't good for the club.

You could tell that he was a fairly rich man using RL to get himself some publicity and try to cover himself in glory.

The scrapping of the reserve team and no attempts of ground improvements and youth structure pointed right towards that.

Koukash on the other hand doesn't seem to showing the same signs as Des. Des' main focus was the TEAM and how well they did. Koukash seems to mainly be speaking about the club as a whole and ensuring it is built up properly. Des did none of this. Fair enough Koukash has brought in some quality players (as did Des) but I think the main reason he has done this to get fans through the gates.

They're similar in some aspects yes, but I don't think they have the same ethos on how to run a rugby club.

#95 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Not for me.

Not for you because you are so fixated on defending the status quo you can't see the wood for the trees. You are not a relative of GEORGE iii are you. You know, as in lets squash any emerging colonies because they will never amount to anything and we know best.

#96 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Not for you because you are so fixated on defending the status quo you can't see the wood for the trees. You are not a relative of GEORGE iii are you. You know, as in lets squash any emerging colonies because they will never amount to anything and we know best.

It's ironic that someone who spent so much time deriding anyone who didn't believe in pins-in-a-map and back-of-a-fag-packet expansion should now be deathriding anything that looks like growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users