RL memories

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Pretty simple thread.... impossible to wreck with the same old trolls (I hope)........

I once run onto the field after a Leeds v Widnes game (wasn't a fan of either club) in the late 80s and got Kurt Sorensen's tie ups. To my amazement they had K Sorensen written on both of them and I wore them in every match from U10s to U15s.

In the mid-80s I also got Wigan legend Andy Gregory to autograph a programme to 'helmet head' which was the tease name for one of my school mates.

You get the gist ......

Edited by Scubby, 12 September 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#2 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't think my experiences are as grand, nostalgic or cool as yours, but it still meant a lot to me.

Living in South Wales access to modern RL players isn't so easy but some years ago i was on a coaching course with former Hull Kr, Crusaders utility Mark Lennon. What a bloke! Full of great stories and was very very helpful.

I've always had a lot of time for Mark, travelling from Australia every year to represent Wales off his own back says a lot.

Edited by welshmagpie, 12 September 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#3 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've got some blades of grass from Headingley that were taken as a souvernir of our 1982 JohnPlayer win over Hull KR.  Couldn't get near enough to the players to get anything sunstantial like tie-ups / headbands / tape.  Oh & Alex Murphy once asked me to hold his bag while signing autographs before a game at the boulevard. I did as I was told, then got his autograph.  Our kid asked me if I knew who it was & I said "No, I just joined the queue cos everytone else was doing it!"

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#4 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

When playing in the under 14s at Dewsbury Moor we got to the Yorkshire Cup Final at Headingley against Stanningley, and were in the home dressing room.

Seem to recall the week after most of the lads were wearing various items of Leeds kit in training!

We also once enticed Eddie Rombo into singing "no woman no cry" in the changing rooms as Dewsbury were using the club at the time and Eddie didnt know much English.

I also line danced with Stanley Gene, Michael Mark, Charlie Wabo and Nico Slain in Brooklands Bar in Batley one Saturday night, was arguably the most surreal experience I have had on a night out but worthy of a mention in this thread.

Happy days.

Edited by buford t justice, 12 September 2013 - 12:41 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#5 CNH 320

CNH 320
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

I saw this thread and thought it’s time I signed up having read the board for a few months.

A few of my memories:

In the mid 80s when the Leeds dressing rooms were in their old place at the corner of the ground, it was easy to mill around and catch players as they went in. One mid week match I asked Tony Currie (later to be London coach) for his autograph as he was about to go into the changing room. Next thing I knew he said “wait here” and disappeared into the changing room with my autograph book. A few minutes passed and the changing room door creaked open. Out pops Tony’s with my book stuffed full of the whole team’s autographs. I’ve still got that autograph book now and often look at it. What a gent.

A few years ago when Leeds had won the Grand Final (I think 2007) Kevin Sinfield and Willie Poaching came into work with the trophy. There I was thinking the trophy wasn’t to be touched under any circumstances. The next thing I know Kevin Sinfield had thrust it into my hand and I was waving it around like I’d won it myself at Old Trafford. Somehow I can’t see that ever happening with the FA cup.

Finally, not a story about a player but I’ve also got fond memories of last year’s heritage day at the RFL. We arrived to see just about every RL trophy had been laid out on a table – including gems like the old Regal Trophy, county championship cups etc. Not a security guard in sight, just a couple of people from the RFL chatting to anyone with an interest. I was asking about the original challenge cup and the RFL official asked me if my 4 year old would like a picture with it. So he picked up the trophy and handed it to my son while I took the picture. I know we all knock the RFL at times but days like that reminded me of why the sport is great. To get hands on with the game’s heritage is something that I doubt happens very much with other sports.

#6 7723

• Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I remember getting the chance to play at Central Park when I was younger. I scored a try and kicked a goal.

I also have a Wigan Rugby ball fully signed from the 1993 squad. It is still in great condition and you can make out all the signatures.

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I saw this thread and thought it’s time I signed up having read the board for a few months.

A few of my memories:

In the mid 80s when the Leeds dressing rooms were in their old place at the corner of the ground, it was easy to mill around and catch players as they went in. One mid week match I asked Tony Currie (later to be London coach) for his autograph as he was about to go into the changing room. Next thing I knew he said “wait here” and disappeared into the changing room with my autograph book. A few minutes passed and the changing room door creaked open. Out pops Tony’s with my book stuffed full of the whole team’s autographs. I’ve still got that autograph book now and often look at it. What a gent.

A few years ago when Leeds had won the Grand Final (I think 2007) Kevin Sinfield and Willie Poaching came into work with the trophy. There I was thinking the trophy wasn’t to be touched under any circumstances. The next thing I know Kevin Sinfield had thrust it into my hand and I was waving it around like I’d won it myself at Old Trafford. Somehow I can’t see that ever happening with the FA cup.

Finally, not a story about a player but I’ve also got fond memories of last year’s heritage day at the RFL. We arrived to see just about every RL trophy had been laid out on a table – including gems like the old Regal Trophy, county championship cups etc. Not a security guard in sight, just a couple of people from the RFL chatting to anyone with an interest. I was asking about the original challenge cup and the RFL official asked me if my 4 year old would like a picture with it. So he picked up the trophy and handed it to my son while I took the picture. I know we all knock the RFL at times but days like that reminded me of why the sport is great. To get hands on with the game’s heritage is something that I doubt happens very much with other sports.

Great stories! Welcome to the board.

#8 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

I've got a piece of rafter from the Theepenny Stand.

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I've got a piece of rafter from the Theepenny Stand.

.... and one half of a set of goal posts from The McAlpine.

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Better Laurence, better. Not quite Carling though.

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Had some good nights in Trinity legend Brian Briggs' pub in Wakey. He was a mate of my dads & told some great tales. The one about what happened to 2 blokes who made the mistake of breaking into his pub in the early hours is magnificent...

Bumped into Adrian Morley in a pub a few months ago. Almost shy and unassuming with his family. No big shot stuff.

I was sat in the stand at Cas close to the touch line not long after Lee Crooks had arrived from Leeds. He was right on the line waiting for the restart when a sour faced old girl in the front row stood up and leaned over and said "pubs are oppen cock" - you had to be there to appreciate the look of distraction on crooksy's face for a second or two...

It's not RL but I was on a train that had been delayed that eventually pulled out of Donny station. The ticket collector made his way through the carriage with the old "tickets please" - across from me was a bloke hidden behind a broadsheet who ignored 3 terse requests before lowering the paper & delivering a resounding "when you can run your f*****g trains on time you can see my f*****g ticket - now ###### off..!!" And he did as he was told - you don't mess with Jackie Charlton when he's not happy..

Went to school with Russell Smith, Tony Marchant, Neil James & Barry Johnson - all good lads but perhaps not the most focused of scholars...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users