Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Raymond Fletcher - RL Journalist, statistician and author.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sad news I learned late yesterday with the passing of the former Yorkshire Post RL correspondent and all round good RL guy Ray Fletcher.

His reports of matches were the first ones I sought out as a teenager following RL in the late seventies in the days well before the worldwide coverage of the internet.

Not sure if he was born in Hull but he certainly went to the Boulevard School as a kid and was a lifelong Hull FC supporter.

Don't know if any of you will recall but Dave Woods gave him a mention during the commentary of the Hull v Wire cup semi final, saying Ray was very ill but would be thrilled with Hull FC's performance that day.

His passion for the game in general is highlighted in the following obituary. 

http://www.superleag...mourns-death-of

RIP Ray.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

Condolences to Ray's family and many friends within RL. RIP Ray.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Rest in peace. Sit and enjoy the sight of the white clover...

Condolences to Ray's family and friends.

I read hundreds of his articles as a kid. As OF has mentioned, he was THE voice of RL for a long time.

God bless

#4 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Very sad news indeed. I couldn't count how many of his match reports, interviews and articles I must have read over the years.

All ways spot on, well written, expertly researched and educational to all who read them- Sports journalism at its best.

The Game has lost a great asset indeed.

My deepest condolences to his family.

#5 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have a Rothman's RL yearbook from the 1987-1988 season, the first year I got into the sport......I'd never put the thing down, loving to read about all the different team's colours, grounds and stats from the season.

RIP Ray

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Very sad news.  I've read hundreds of thousands of his words.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Really sorry to hear the sad news. Ray Fletcher was the reason I used to buy the Yorkshire Post. As has been said, he was a lifelong Hull supporter. I remember him saying he still liked to be called a 'black and white ####' by former Rovers director Percy Johnson whenever they met.

A great loss to the game, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Sad news I learned late yesterday with the passing of the former Yorkshire Post RL correspondent and all round good RL guy Ray Fletcher.

His reports of matches were the first ones I sought out as a teenager following RL in the late seventies in the days well before the worldwide coverage of the internet.

Not sure if he was born in Hull but he certainly went to the Boulevard School as a kid and was a lifelong Hull FC supporter.

Don't know if any of you will recall but Dave Woods gave him a mention during the commentary of the Hull v Wire cup semi final, saying Ray was very ill but would be thrilled with Hull FC's performance that day.

His passion for the game in general is highlighted in the following obituary. 

http://www.superleag...mourns-death-of

RIP Ray.

I dare say he was born in Hull, mate. I remember him saying he went to Chiltern Street Infants, which was about as close to the back of the Threepenny Stand as you could get (unless you lived down Roy's terrace).

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#9 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Rest in peace. Sit and enjoy the sight of the white clover...

Condolences to Ray's family and friends.

I read hundreds of his articles as a kid. As OF has mentioned, he was THE voice of RL for a long time.

God bless

Nice thought, well said.

#10 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

To absent friends...

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

The quality of the Rothmans Yearbook was testimony to his hard work and dedication.

RIP

A Fev Blog

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

He was a stickler for accuracy.  In 1997, when we had that World Club Championship, I sent him a cutting from a Sydney newspaper.  You'll recall that the UK clubs in the bottom half of the draw had byes in weeks when they weren't playing because there were 10 Aussie clubs and 12 UK clubs.  Anyway, the Aussie paper's league table gave the UK teams points for the bye weeks.  Ray had a dicky-fit and called me about it, saying he needed to check the competition rules with the RFL to make sure the Rothmans was right.

Anyway, the UK tables turned out to be right.  No points for a bye.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"