Mid December Grand Final

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 paulmac

paulmac
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hey guys you can shout me down as another Aussie who dosn't get the English game if you like,but I was thinking to myself the other day about how much I hate summer over here in Aus because there is no RL. It made me think that perhaps there is an opportunity for Super League to cash in on the Aussie tv market by starting the season in April (maybe Easter weekend) and finish in mid December.

Some pros for this would be Australian superstars like Billy Slater, Greg Inglis or even your own Sam Burgess could jump on a plane soon as their NRL season finishes and have a mini stint ala Andrew Johns at Warrington. It would even be possible for mini Kangaroo tours to recommence with say four club matches aswell as tests rather than the shotgun tours we get now. We would also keep summer rugby and all the benefits that entails. My only downside is what would happen in a World Cup year. Now over to you guys to be shouted down.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

why don't you move your season?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 paulmac

paulmac
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

And it begins. We know the NRL aren't going to move our season. I was just thinking it would be a way for players to earn a bit of extra coin. If a players team was eliminated from the finals your club could have say Feleti Mateo for September, October, November so roughly 12 games. When no foreign player can make the dream team it says a lot about the current state of imports.

#4 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

And it begins. We know the NRL aren't going to move our season. I was just thinking it would be a way for players to earn a bit of extra coin. If a players team was eliminated from the finals your club could have say Feleti Mateo for September, October, November so roughly 12 games. When no foreign player can make the dream team it says a lot about the current state of imports.

or says home players have improved and are now as good as the imports if not better, which must be the case with the number of UK players now playing in the NRL

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

You're just an Aussie who doesn't get the English game.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hey guys you can shout me down as another Aussie who dosn't get the English game if you like,but I was thinking to myself the other day about how much I hate summer over here in Aus because there is no RL. It made me think that perhaps there is an opportunity for Super League to cash in on the Aussie tv market by starting the season in April (maybe Easter weekend) and finish in mid December.
Some pros for this would be Australian superstars like Billy Slater, Greg Inglis or even your own Sam Burgess could jump on a plane soon as their NRL season finishes and have a mini stint ala Andrew Johns at Warrington. It would even be possible for mini Kangaroo tours to recommence with say four club matches aswell as tests rather than the shotgun tours we get now. We would also keep summer rugby and all the benefits that entails. My only downside is what would happen in a World Cup year. Now over to you guys to be shouted down.

I think there is some merit in this. You could even have a mid season break perhaps the Challenge Cup Final could bring down the curtain on the first half of the season. It would also mean when there is another major sporting occasion like the Olympics or soccer World Cup they would not be distracting the media and spectators away.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

If you moved your season, then maybe some of the underpaid Suer League players could earn some extra coin rather than the NRL players NRL players that already earn significantly more

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Also, when would international matches be?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hey guys you can shout me down as another Aussie who dosn't get the English game if you like,but I was thinking to myself the other day about how much I hate summer over here in Aus because there is no RL.

With the exception of Townsville & Brisbane the aussie summer isn't so hot that players couldn't play in it. Far easier for them to move their season.

If the SL moved back to winter there would be far more disruption due to snow & frozen pitches.

#10 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

With the exception of Townsville & Brisbane the aussie summer isn't so hot that players couldn't play in it. Far easier for them to move their season.
If the SL moved back to winter there would be far more disruption due to snow & frozen pitches.

When was there ever snow and frozen pitches before mid-December?

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

I don't have a hankering for a switch back to Winter, but I'd pull our season forward not push back given the choice.

Start on Boxing Day with local derbies, we'd then have a season that took in all the UK bank holidays plus the play-offs and grand final would be pulled forward, meaning we'd be able to showcase our major event a month or so earlier and whilst the british weather offers no guarentees it would greatly increase the odds of it being played out on a dry track watched by folk in shirt sleaves - which is what summer rugbys all about afterall!

If the Aussies left there season as is, our players would have the added advantage of being able to earn some "extra coin" by guesting down under onc ethere involvement in the UK season was over and judging by the recent recruitment of British talent for the NRL they need our help, would be a win win!  ;)

#12 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

When was there ever snow and frozen pitches before mid-December?

7/8 December 1990 major disruption especially in Wales and the Midlands. The M6 was completely closed for 2 days.
I travelled to North Wales on the Friday with some friends . We couldn't get through to the cottage we had booked and spent 2 nights in Llanwrst.
On the way back on the Sunday we were fortunate to have ice axes and crampons so were able to help other motorists.
There was even an abandoned Securicor van near Birmingham Airport.
But your right that was a bit of an exception. To prove this, the same weekend the following year 1991 we were sunbathing on the beach in Barmouth.

Edited by bearman, 13 September 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

7/8 December 1990 major disruption especially in Wales and the Midlands. The M6 was completely closed for 2 days.
I travelled to North Wales on the Friday with some friends . We couldn't get through to the cottage we had booked and spent 2 nights in Llanwrst.
On the way back on the Sunday we were fortunate to have ice axes and crampons so were able to help other motorists.
There was even an abandoned Securicor van near Birmingham Airport.
But your right that was a bit of an exception. To prove this, the same weekend the following year 1991 we were sunbathing on the beach in Barmouth.

I remember it well as I was stuck near Corley Sevices for hours before a lorry driver took down the central reservation barriers and I turned round and went back to London. Interestingly, the Widnes game that afternoon went ahead as I watched it on Grandstand when I got home.

I have no desire to go back to winter rugby.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Players don't get enough rest as it is.  The last thing they need is more opportunity to play games.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I don't have a hankering for a switch back to Winter, but I'd pull our season forward not push back given the choice.

Start on Boxing Day with local derbies, we'd then have a season that took in all the UK bank holidays plus the play-offs and grand final would be pulled forward, meaning we'd be able to showcase our major event a month or so earlier and whilst the british weather offers no guarentees it would greatly increase the odds of it being played out on a dry track watched by folk in shirt sleaves - which is what summer rugbys all about afterall!

If the Aussies left there season as is, our players would have the added advantage of being able to earn some "extra coin" by guesting down under onc ethere involvement in the UK season was over and judging by the recent recruitment of British talent for the NRL they need our help, would be a win win!  ;)

I like this idea.

I'm a big advocate of summer rugby for a number of reasons, but I do find it an unhappy coincidence that this wonderful summer sport has its finals series played in the wind and rain (insert British summer joke here if you're of that bent).
People called Romans they go the house

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yes, have thought this a few times. The Boxing Day and New Years Day derbies often attracted very good crowds, even now as friendlies you can get ok crowds, so I think to launch the season on Boxing Day could actually be very good.

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Yes, have thought this a few times. The Boxing Day and New Years Day derbies often attracted very good crowds, even now as friendlies you can get ok crowds, so I think to launch the season on Boxing Day could actually be very good.

No thanks.  We cover enough of winter anyway.  We should start in March and finish in late Sept/early Oct.  The Aussies have got it right.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

No thanks.  We cover enough of winter anyway.  We should start in March and finish in late Sept/early Oct.  The Aussies have got it right.

But without midweek games that isn't possible with our structure.

The Aussies have a different structure which allows for a shorter season.

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

It's not so much the European game you don't understand as the weather.  The last thing the RFL needs is for bad weather to disrupt arguably their biggest game of the season.  Admittedly, December's free from snow more often than not but 2010 was a bad December.  Frost would be a threat.

#20 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Lets think how it would effect some players.

They would be expected to play as well as they can. Until a load of Aussies want some extra cash. They would then be dropped and have no chance of playing in the biggest game of the season the GF.

Sounds like a daft idea to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users