1989 Grand Final

Fantastic Match

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Watched this last night having recorded it from Premier Sports and fantastic fast open game, no five drives and a kick just non-stop rugby. I was tired watching it.

Steve "Blocker" Roach seemed to punch every player he tackled!

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

What an unbelievable team the raiders had back then with players like meninga, Daley, Stuart, Lazarus, Clyde, belcher, Walters bros, Also andy currier and Shaun Edwards playing for balmain.

#3 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

What an unbelievable team the raiders had back then with players like meninga, Daley, Stuart, Lazarus, Clyde, belcher, Walters bros,

A star studded team which was humbled by Widnes that very same year.  ;)

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Indeed!

#5 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

'89 is tough to beat as far as drama goes. It's not considered the best ever for nothing.

But if you can, I highly recommend watching '90 and '91 Grand Finals also. Both games are Raiders vs Panthers. As far as pure quality football goes, I consider both to be of higher standard than '89.

Ricky Stuart's kicking masterclass in '90 is pretty much the best I've seen.

'91 is probably and even better game than '90, even if it had the wrong result. It was a tremendous game.

#6 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

1989 was the start of the Tina Turner year's and the game was starting to go from strength to strength.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

A star studded team which was humbled by Widnes that very same year.  ;)

Widnes v Canberra is available in full on YouTube. That high shot on Jiffy is still shocking, but the game is a good one to watch again.

The commentary in the first half, when the Green Machine was all over the Chemics is of the "we're further behind the Australians than ever" and "I fear for the future of the English game" variety. It's like an audio version of this website. B) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Widnes v Canberra is available in full on YouTube. 

I know, it's my upload. :tongue:

Well, the one by widneswidnes is. Mine is in sections, because at the time it wouldn't let me upload the full match in one go.

Edited by Bomb Jack, 18 September 2013 - 05:27 PM.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

I know, it's my upload. :tongue:

Well, the one by widneswidnes is. Mine is in sections, because at the time it wouldn't let me upload the full match in one go.

Thanks! That's the one I downloaded, then joined together for more convenient watching.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

What an unbelievable team the raiders had back then with players like meninga, Daley, Stuart, Lazarus, Clyde, belcher, Walters bros, Also andy currier and Shaun Edwards playing for balmain.

You forgot to mention the best of them all, playing on the wing for the Raiders.

#11 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

You forgot to mention the best of them all, playing on the wing for the Raiders.

So i seems did you  :tongue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users