Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oh dear Aussie refs

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's not just the issue of neutral refs though. We have seen the Aussies insist on certain refs getting certain games....or not.

The decision making should also be neutral too.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

It's not just the issue of neutral refs though. We have seen the Aussies insist on certain refs getting certain games....or not.

The decision making should also be neutral too.

I believe the Ref decision making in the Tri Nations Games was a two from three vote.

That makes it hard when at the time there were not many French or even Kiwi Refs up to Test level, the Kiwis will always go for an NRL style Ref as their players are familiar with their style.

I am sure the Australians felt they did not get the "rub of the green" in the 2008 WC final. (the Ref was Klein, regarded as English at that point)

The losing team will always feel decisions go against them, that is the nature of people.

How many top shelf French Refs have been brought through in the SL system?

Edited by AndyCapp, 15 September 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#23 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

was it an aussie ref who allowed salford to have 14 players on the pitch at the same time.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#24 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

was it an aussie ref who allowed salford to have 14 players on the pitch at the same time.

I don't know was it?

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

I believe the Ref decision making in the Tri Nations Games was a two from three vote.
That makes it hard when at the time there were not many French or even Kiwi Refs up to Test level, the Kiwis will always go for an NRL style Ref as their players are familiar with their style.

I am sure the Australians felt they did not get the "rub of the green" in the 2008 WC final. (the Ref was Klein, regarded as English at that point)

The losing team will always feel decisions go against them, that is the nature of people.

How many top shelf French Refs have been brought through in the SL system?

Had a referee made decisions like Henry Perenara did in the 2011 game at Wembley (Briscoe no try and not sending off Tony Williams) *against* Australia, he certainly would not have reffed the final.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Just watched the Manly v Cronulla game and the VR gives a try to the Manly winger that, to me, was exactly the same as the disallowed effort by Danny McGuire last night against Saints. IMO both players lost control of the ball at the last moment. Strangely the Aussie CR's reasoning was that there was insufficient evidence to disallow the try after the on field ref had indicated he thought it was a try.

rldfsignature.jpg

#27 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

How does the ref stop a team putting an extra player on?

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#28 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Just watched the Manly v Cronulla game and the VR gives a try to the Manly winger that, to me, was exactly the same as the disallowed effort by Danny McGuire last night against Saints. IMO both players lost control of the ball at the last moment. Strangely the Aussie CR's reasoning was that there was insufficient evidence to disallow the try after the on field ref had indicated he thought it was a try.

They run a different VR system in oz were the ref gives his opinion and the the VR needs to have evidence to over turn it. There is another important difference and that's in the Manly game the winger however slight got part of his hand on the ball. The explaination by SC was that if there is separation you then have to get your hand to the ball to nullify a knock on. The forearm which is what McGuire used wont do it.

#29 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Just watched the Storm v Knights game and there were, for me, some more contentious decisions. Slater is tackled legally by Boyd and McKinnon comes in to complete the tackle and accidentally catches Slater on the head as Slater falls into the tackle. No swinging arm or malicious intent from McKinnon yet the officials gave a penalty which Melbourne score a try from. McKinnon then comes in to tackle a Storm player and turns into him using his shoulder. A clash of heads results in the Storm player going off with a broken jaw. Cameron Smith even tells the ref it was a shoulder charge. A kick to the corner is knocked back toward his own try line by Laelua, the ball hits a Storm player and is re gathered by Laelua who passes off the floor without a hand laid on him to his winger who dives in at the corner only to see the "try" disallowed. A kick by Melbourne is fielded on the full by, I think, Boyd who is then clattered by a Storm player who never looks at the ball and forces Boyd to lose the ball. Knock on, line drop out! Slater follows a high kick and bats it back. The ball hits a Knights player who made no attempt to play the ball. A second Knights player picks the loose ball up and is given offside. Also in the Cronulla game the Sharks FB deliberately shoulder charges the Manly winger into touch to prevent a try. No penalty, scrum H and F to Cronulla. I'm really enjoying the NRL play offs but some of the decisions are baffling at times.

Edited by deluded pom?, 22 September 2013 - 07:51 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#30 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Just watched the Storm v Knights game and there were, for me, some more contentious decisions. Slater is tackled legally by Boyd and McKinnon comes in to complete the tackle and accidentally catches Slater on the head as Slater falls into the tackle. No swinging arm or malicious intent from McKinnon yet the officials gave a penalty which Melbourne score a try from. McKinnon then comes in to tackle a Storm player and turns into him using his shoulder. A clash of heads results in the Storm player going off with a broken jaw. Cameron Smith even tells the ref it was a shoulder charge. A kick to the corner is knocked back toward his own try line by Laelua, the ball hits a Storm player and is re gathered by Laelua who passes off the floor without a hand laid on him to his winger who dives in at the corner only to see the "try" disallowed. A kick by Melbourne is fielded on the full by, I think, Boyd who is then clattered by a Storm player who never looks at the ball and forces Boyd to lose the ball. Knock on, line drop out! Slater follows a high kick and bats it back. The ball hits a Knights player who made no attempt to play the ball. A second Knights player picks the loose ball up and is given offside. Also in the Cronulla game the Sharks FB deliberately shoulder charges the Manly winger into touch to prevent a try. No penalty, scrum H and F to Cronulla. I'm really enjoying the NRL play offs but some of the decisions are baffling at times.

With out re watching it its hard to be specific but on a couple of those of your description. The high tackle on Slater if there's contact with the head its a penalty in the modern game intent doesn't matter. The other one is the offside it doesn't matter if the first players contact is accidental or not. If the offside player plays at the ball it's a penalty if it hits the offside player accidentally its a scrum.

#31 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Agree about the cronulla fullback definate shoulder charge

#32 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

The 7th tackle try was appalling ... but it was great to see certain players, who milk penalties that often lead to tries, having a great whinge about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users