Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OLD SWINTON O/T

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Some might find this interesting.http://www.youtube.c...AuBvejjs&sns=em

#2 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Pure nostalgia, magic, not a dry eye in the house I'll bet.

#3 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

I knew you'd love it Keith!

#4 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Superb. Swinton & proud of it.

#5 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Brilliant piece so many memories

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Superb. Swinton & proud of it.

Superb, Clifton, Pendlebury & proud of it

#7 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Wrong thread

Edited by Bleep1673, 16 September 2013 - 02:38 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#8 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm from Swinton, Keith

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm from Pendlebury but when it comes to Rugby League I'm from Swinton and proud of it

#10 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Don't recognise the street with the black dog in the middle and the Red Rose Ales and Stout off licence on the corner OR

the Mobil petrol station with the high ground behind.

DID spot Wedgwood Road, Clifton near where I grew up (a few moons ago)

#11 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

The Mobil petrol station was the one on Worsley Rd opposite White Swan.

#12 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

As I was driving back from Boston to Vermont today after watching my second favorite team, the New England Patriots, demolish Tampa Bay United, ( the second time Utd got its ass handed to it in the course of 8 hours (Yeah, Spelly!) I passed through Manchester, New Hampshire, the home of many "satanic mills" just like the Acme mill portrayed in this collection. No coincidence it's called Manchester!

It reminded me to comment on many Saturday afternoons spent at Station Road. When I was a kid, we would walk along the footpath from Hospital Road past the Acme Mill and the Swinton Baths (where I learned to swim with kids from Grosvenor Road School, and I would stand with my  5 foot tall mother (she who just turned 100) down by the wall on the main stand side, Pendlebury Road end. My Dad stood with his Newtown/Wheatsheaf/Agecroft pits buddies up away from us as he was taller and could see over the assembled multitude. My mother would shout "offside" regardless of what was happening on the pitch!

As I grew older, I would meet my work buddies in the Blue Bell in Monton and we would watch from the Station Road side of the tunnel. This was the swinging 60s and we were Champions not once but twice!  My life revolved around watching and playing Rugby League and listening to Radio Luxembourg!  And the 60s music stuck with me for the rest of my life just like the Lions did! 

One other aside, we lived right on the line between Swinton and Pendlebury, so I can't say whether I'm from one or the other, but, and this is for Blue Monkey's sake, my Dad's from Clifton! And the bus with the team and the trophy went down Hospital Road close to my house.on its way to the Town Hall.  The Swinton Town Hall, I think it was called!!

To get back to the music, "The long and winding road" would seem to be the right anthem for right now, but I can't wait to join you all in a raucous version of "The boys are back in town" one of these days!!

To coin a phrase, you can take Geoff out of Swinton, but you can't take Swinton (Lions) (or the 60s music) out of Geoff!

Posted Image

#13 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Geoff - I don't know whether you recorded any memories for the Swinton Lions Tales project done by the Trust but this is exactly the sort of reminiscence that was required linking life in S&P to the Lions.

Check it out!

http://www.swintonlionstales.co.uk

#14 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

One other aside, we lived right on the line between Swinton and Pendlebury, so I can't say whether I'm from one or the other, but, and this is for Blue Monkey's sake, my Dad's from Clifton! 

Yes, I'm a Cliftonian, born Whitehead Road (1946) and grew up in Simpson Avenue (1953->) - Clively Estate, although both my parents were Pendlebury folk through and through. Many happy hours spent trainspotting at Clifton Junction and Pepper Hill bridge in the summer. Going to the match up Rake Lane (before Queensway was built) across the farmland near the Beehive pub and arriving opposite the Windmill via Engine Brow near ‘the Bug’ cinema. (Kids’ matinees mid-1950s).

Only went to Cromwell Road (1957-62) but geography was always my strongest subject - I've always been fascinated by maps.

Hospital Road is completely within Pendlebury, hence the old RMCH was often informally called Pendlebury Children's Hospital.

Part of the actual boundary between Swinton & Pendlebury is close to Hospital Road. It's the tiny brook which flows behind East Drive and crosses Manchester Road to enter the Dell (between Grosvenor Road School and the May Road estate) before crossing under the A580 to join Folly Brook near the Swinton Park Golf Course. And that's only part of the S & P boundary. Slack Brook (culverted) forms the boundary between Pendlebury and Clifton as it heads off the join the Irwell at Agecroft.

Very strange to say but Boundary Road next to Swinton station is not the actual S & P boundary. The exact spot is where the row of houses on Station Road ends and B&Q car park is. There used to be a cobbler's shop at this point which had a 'parish of Swinton' boundary stone outside. The cobbler's shop was Wolstencroft's. One of his sons (Brian) was in my class at Crommy.

Edited by Blue Monkey, 25 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#15 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

"Hospital Road is completely within Pendlebury, hence the old RMCH was often informally called Pendlebury Children's Hospital."

Yes, I must be getting old to have forgotten that!
Posted Image