Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

September Photo Comp "Open theme" - Closed

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: September photo comp: Open theme (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favourite(s)

1. Bedford Roughyed: Urban Landscape (9 votes [24.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. Bleep1673: The Fully Monty (5 votes [13.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. Bulldog Paddy: Seafront (1 votes [2.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. Exiled Townie: Butterfly (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

5. gazza77: Guy Martin (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

6. Gingerjon: Bexhill (5 votes [13.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

7. Kenilworth Tiger: Owned! (2 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

8. My missus: Storm (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

9. Padge: Kos Harbour (6 votes [16.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

For everybody who has voted can I please ask what you look for in a photo and what sways your vote?

I'm genuinely dumfounded that certain photos have received votes yet gingerjon gets nowt (and no this isn't about my efforts)
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#22 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

I went for -

Gazza - The feeling of speed, the framing, the clarity in the bike and the blurring of back ground.

Padge - The colours, depth of colour/darkness and the lighting.

Don't have a clue about being technically correct but those were my 2 faves this month.

Nothing wrong with gingerjons, just those 2 connected more.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#23 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

For everybody who has voted can I please ask what you look for in a photo and what sways your vote?

I'm genuinely dumfounded that certain photos have received votes yet gingerjon gets nowt (and no this isn't about my efforts)

I take it you've not voted yet then?

I'm always a sucker for a bit of B&W and I love the single person in shot which makes the photo. So GJ and Padge for me.

#24 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

I look at a photo and something 'inside' either likes it or doesn't, nothing to do with the 'technicality' of the shot.  Very hard to put into words, and I don't mean this as a criticism of anyone photos, but as you asked, very briefly - Gazza, Padge & Bedford Roughyed probably the three best photos, but all look like they have come from a glossy brochure.  Gingerjohn - a bleak b/w urban landscape does nothing for me.  Bulldog Paddy - almost voted for that one, just not quite sharp enough.  Kennilworth T - great shot, but I have dozens of my grandsons playing like that.   

The two I voted for, My Missus and Bleeps both made me smile when I first saw them, I 'enjoyed' looking at them, in other words they got some emotional response from me, so that's why I voted for them.

(Explanation about as clear as mud I suppose.)

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#25 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

gazza77, technically spot on, bike and rider sharp, motion blur on tyres and pan blur on background, maybe lacks a bit of drama, could be a practice run, maybe needed something to make it look like its in a race.

gingerjon, though an interesting mono study I find the sky too flat and since it dominates more than half the photograph I feel it should be more dramatic. Also the feeling of isolation of the single figure is let down by the couple of shadows in the bottom left. They could be cropped out.

Exiled Townie, unfortunately most of the leaf is sharp and only a little of the butterfly is in focus. If the wings had been and focus instead of the leaf than  it would have been very good.

bulldog_paddy, good composition let down slightly by the half figure on the right and the foreground dominated by the stack of chairs.  Maybe a different viewpoint could have helped but that may have lost the couple sat on the beach.

Kenilworth Tiger, Excellant exposure in difficult light, crop slightly off, better with less turf at the bottom and getting the top of the head in. Focus spot on with great use of depth of field giving us the slighly blurred observer in the background.

mymissus, potentially great pet portrait, crop a little too tight top and bottom and too much of the bin on the right in the shot. What lets it down the most though is the focus is on the door behind storm, this leaves the dog being a little soft. Sharp eyes are the key to this sort of shot, good that it was taken from a low vantage point another must for animals on the ground.

Bedford Roughyed, another technically excellant shot, sharp, well exposed and good composition but with one small, very small gripe from me. I would have like the whole of the top left middle corner to have been in the shot, this would have given a nice balance to the right hand side.

Bleep1673, good foodie shot, the bits of paper are a bit of a distraction, a knife and fork on the table would have added to it. Sharp and well exposed.

Padge, no comment.

Technnically its between gazza77 and Bedford Roughyed for me, artistically gingerjon as usual has put up something to think about and bulldog_paddy's is in there.

I am leaning towards Bedford's has it has technical and artistic merit, though I still haven't made up my mind.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#26 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

I tend to always vote on the basis of technicality and "like", if there are two that I think are equal technically, then my choice will be based on which I just prefer. I also will only ever vote for one, but that's just my personal choice. So in order of posting...

Gingerjon - well composed, nice lead in lines and the single person in the shot adds to the scale nicely. I agree with Padge however that the sky lacks a little drama given that it is such a large proportion of the image.

Exiled Townie - nicely framed with good colours, however sadly the focus point seems to be on the leaf rather than the butterfly, meaning that the leaf looks sharper than the main subject. 

Bulldog Paddy - nicely composed, and a shot that would be difficult to expose because of the contrast between the light sky and the darker ground. The person at the right of the shot in the front is however a little distracting.

KT - nicely framed and sharp. It looks a little contrived to me, I appreciate it probably isn't however possibly means more to those who know the subjects personally. Shame the top of the head and arm have been lost.

My missus - sadly not as sharp as it could have been and also some parts of the dog have been cropped out. It is however taken from a good angle to get a good image, just could have done with being a touch further back and focused on Storm's eyes.

Bedford Roughyed - nicely composed, focused and exposed. I particularly like the light reflecting from the buildings. Well spotted and shot, my vote went here.

Padge - well exposed in difficult light, sharp and composed using the good old rule of thirds. Would have been my second choice, personally I'd have preferred it had it been taken when the sky was a touch lighter, but that's just my personal preference.

Bleep - nicely composed, exposed and framed, though would have been better imo without the distractions at the edge of the frame.

Mine was selected as I felt it to be one of the best of a bunch shot on that particular day, sharp, good colours and of a subject that is one of the best in his chosen field (road racing). Whether I'm right with my views on my own shot however is up to others to decide!

I actually think that providing constructive feedback on the entries is a good idea, perhaps we ought to do this every month!

Edit: I actually think that the standard of entries is great this and most months. To me, the more that we get the better, and it's good to see a wide range of reasons for voting, as I feel it would potentially put people off if just became a competition based solely on technique. 

Edited by gazza77, 03 October 2013 - 08:00 PM.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#27 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

Great to have the feedback. Never occurred before but right on all points. Something to note next month!

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

gingerjon, though an interesting mono study I find the sky too flat and since it dominates more than half the photograph I feel it should be more dramatic. Also the feeling of isolation of the single figure is let down by the couple of shadows in the bottom left. They could be cropped out.

Why must the sky always be dramatic?  I like GJ's photo. Sometimes the sky is bland so why not have that?

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Why must the sky always be dramatic?  I like GJ's photo. Sometimes the sky is bland so why not have that?

Its when it dominates so much of the photo, my personal preference is in cases like that the sky should have some interest.

I decided to go with Bedford Roughyed's Urban Landscape.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Its when it dominates so much of the photo, my personal preference is in cases like that the sky should have some interest.

I decided to go with Bedford Roughyed's Urban Landscape.

Well I liked it because it didn't have the dramatic sky that almost always seems to be there in such shots.

#31 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

bump

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

bump

We're keeping going until it's appreciated that if you're taking a picture of a dull morning with nothing happening you need a dull sky.

This may take some time.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

We're keeping going until it's appreciated that if you're taking a picture of a dull morning with nothing happening you need a dull sky.

This may take some time.

With added dullness behind the camera.

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

With added dullness behind the camera.

There was the distant sound of a fictitious band.

- Severus, July 2012

#35 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

There was the distant sound of a fictitious band.

Casting aspersions on others will not help you gain votes.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Casting aspersions on others will not help you gain votes.

I'm taking the Bleep approach MORON.

- Severus, July 2012

#37 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

I'm taking the Bleep approach MORON.

Well I hope you get breathalysed then.

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Is it time to close this poll?

#39 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

yep

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#40 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Quite probably. I'll give it until tomorrow night for any last minute votes.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users