Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Graham - shoe in for England?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Watching the Bulldogs v Knights match on Premier Sports today and it got me thinking about Graham and the England squad. He's generally considered an automatic for England, but I wonder how people think he has gone this year.

Haven't seen many Bulldogs matches this season, but when I have seen them, Graham doesn't seem to have had the same wow factor as last season. Can't think he's done owt wrong mind!

He obviously had the big suspension at the start of the season, but how has he been going generally this season?

Is he likely to be as devastating as usual for England in the World Cup this year, or is he not currently playing his best footy?

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I thought he was rubbish today

It's time to park the camels.

#3 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

He's been a top performer for the Bulldogs since his return. He should be an automatic selection

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#4 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I believe his return from his very long ban coincided with Canterbury's form picking right up and I don't think that many people would consider that to be a coincidence.

From what I've seen there hasn't been a problem with his form, he's just been utilised a bit differently in the sense that he's now often a starting prop for them whereas last season he was mainly used from the bench. He's still a world class player and will contribute much to the cause. He'd be an automatic selection for me. 

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Watching the Bulldogs v Knights match on Premier Sports today and it got me thinking about Graham and the England squad. He's generally considered an automatic for England, but I wonder how people think he has gone this year.

Haven't seen many Bulldogs matches this season, but when I have seen them, Graham doesn't seem to have had the same wow factor as last season. Can't think he's done owt wrong mind!

He obviously had the big suspension at the start of the season, but how has he been going generally this season?

Is he likely to be as devastating as usual for England in the World Cup this year, or is he not currently playing his best footy?

He's been a starting prop this season, usually playing for 60 minutes, so his impact won't have been as obvious as last season.  However, whenever I have watched the Dogs, as I do every time they play (although yet to watch today's game), the commentators wax lyrical over his tackle count and hit ups.  So I would say he is playing just as well as ever he did but being on from the outset means we don't notice his impact as much.

The Dogs as a team haven't performed as well as they did last year.  They fell way behind early doors with Jammer's ban, injuries and whatever was going on in Ben Barba's head meaning he was dropped for a few weeks.

#6 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Chris Hill's another shoe in for England

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Chris Hill's another shoe in for England

Not sure I'd say "shoe in" for Hill. If we assume that England will go with four props, and that Sam Burgess plays at 13 with Lockers being crocked again. From the ETS there is Carvell, Hill, Morley, Mossop & Crabtree, plus Graham, plus maybe a Burgess or two. Be interesting to get that down to four.

#8 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Not sure I'd say "shoe in" for Hill. If we assume that England will go with four props, and that Sam Burgess plays at 13 with Lockers being crocked again. From the ETS there is Carvell, Hill, Morley, Mossop & Crabtree, plus Graham, plus maybe a Burgess or two. Be interesting to get that down to four.

Appreciate your view hill and mossop stand out all season IMHO in SL

Carvell and Morley, very bitty season

Crabtree is to hit and miss, for his size doesn't make enough yards.

So hill,graham, mossop and burgess

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

What order would people put the props in then?

Baring in mind I've not seen any NRL, I'd go with:
Crabtree, Mossop, Hill, Carvell, Morley from SL off the top of my head. Probably missed someone out!
Graham, and George Burgess to add to that. Possibly Tom and Luke.

There's 9. Who'd you have as the four?

And where would you put Sam Burgess if all are fit?
Posted Image

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

From those ,I'd go Mossop,Hill,Graham and George Burgess with Sam Burgess at 13

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#11 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

From those ,I'd go Mossop,Hill,Graham and George Burgess with Sam Burgess at 13

If have Crabtree for Hill personally. Dream Team this year and never disappoints for England.
Posted Image

#12 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hill has never been knocked back in a game even when they are playing below par, although crabtree was selected for dream team he doesn't always have a top game especially when Giants are under the cosh.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

If have Crabtree for Hill personally. Dream Team this year and never disappoints for England.

Crabtree reminds me a lot of Ian Kirke,both should dominate games with their sheer physical size but very rarely do.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#14 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Crabtree reminds me a lot of Ian Kirke,both should dominate games with their sheer physical size but very rarely do.

frank Bruno types- no killer instinct when it matters

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#15 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hasn't Crabtree made more yards this season than any other prop bar Peacock?..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#16 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

If I was going to put the props in order I'd go:

Sam Burgess
James Graham
George Burgess
Eorl Crabtree
Tom Burgess
Chris Hill
Lee Mossop
Luke Burgess

I rate Mossop and Hill, Mossop outclassed Crabtree on Thursday. But I can't see them making a break or completely getting on top of the opposition. They won't do anything wrong, but I can't see them having a real impact. Graham and S Burgess will both play 70 minutes likely and do 40ish tackles and touch near 200m and get through the hard work. The likes of Crabtree and the Burgess twins for myself will be more likely to make breaks and make serious metres.

But back to the thread and Graham has been exceptionally good this year. He's played a different role to last but the doggies form picked up on his return. He has to start at 10 in my opinion.

#17 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Appreciate your view hill and mossop stand out all season IMHO in SL
Carvell and Morley, very bitty season
Crabtree is to hit and miss, for his size doesn't make enough yards.
So hill,graham, mossop and burgess

Burgess? You've got to be more specific than that. It's like saying you'd have "the big bloke" at prop!!

#18 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

We've got a bit of choice there. Against the Aussies, think I'd probably start with Graham & George Burgess, and then have Lee Mossop and one of Hill, Crabtree, Morley or Carvell on the bench.

I'd also go for Chase to cover in the halves when Sinfield goes to hooker should we need it and would then have Liam Farrell on the bench, starting Ellis & Westwood in the 2nd row, with Sam Burgess at 13.

#19 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Burgess? You've got to be more specific than that. It's like saying you'd have "the big bloke" at prop!!

Which ever one is in form.... Sam's no.13

We've got a bit of choice there. Against the Aussies, think I'd probably start with Graham & George Burgess, and then have Lee Mossop and one of Hill, Crabtree, Morley or Carvell on the bench.
I'd also go for Chase to cover in the halves when Sinfield goes to hooker should we need it and would then have Liam Farrell on the bench, starting Ellis & Westwood in the 2nd row, with Sam Burgess at 13.

Ellis is nowhere near good enough for the England squad IMHO.... Finished.

#20 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Which ever one is in form.... Sam's no.13

Ellis is nowhere near good enough for the England squad IMHO.... Finished.

Thought Ellis has been pretty impressive for Hull in recent weeks and I think experience not to do stupid things will be crucial against the Aussies. The fact he learned everything he knows at Wakey (like our Benny) has nothing to do with it, by the way!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users