Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Graham - shoe in for England?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Peacock has been amazing this year and if he changed his mind about playing for England would be brilliant off the bench.

In order (and including for the same of comparison Sam as a prop even if be plays 12 or 13)

Sam
Jammer
George
(All three starting)
Peacock
Crabtree

And if you wanted another I would have a punt with Scott Taylor who by all accounts has been far and away Wigan's best this year. That being said you'd consider Tom Burgess and Hill in there too. Morley is quite a way behind now for me but is still a very handy player.

#22 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Its amazing, we've never before had this much depth in the national team. The fact we're having this debate is evidence that homegrown talent has been improved in quantity and quality. I think we're in a purple patch at the moment, very exciting as long as macca can gel them together!

#23 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

Its amazing, we've never before had this much depth in the national team. The fact we're having this debate is evidence that homegrown talent has been improved in quantity and quality. I think we're in a purple patch at the moment, very exciting as long as macca can gel them together!

I agree 100

I agree 100%. Could this be the year?

#24 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

I agree. Picking the 17, seemingly, used to be a case of listing around 12-14 shoo-ins and having a minor debate as to which players could fill the other few spots.

Edited by faz'_nose, 16 September 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#25 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thought Ellis has been pretty impressive for Hull in recent weeks and I think experience not to do stupid things will be crucial against the Aussies. The fact he learned everything he knows at Wakey (like our Benny) has nothing to do with it, by the way!!

You make a great point there. Over the years we've made too many mistakes when under pressure and trying to force the game. It will be a tournament for mistake free rugby & big defence.

Also, we have rarely been able to dominate a game up front and set a platform to get a kicking game going.

I'd go with Ellis albeit he hasn't pulled up any trees this season. For similar reasons I would go for Morley.

After reading the thread I get the unusual feeling that we have a forward pack that can genuinely go head to head with the Aussies - it's been a long time between drinks.......!!

It's brewing up nicely.....

#26 go for the 1 pointer

go for the 1 pointer
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Graham

Roby

Hill/Mossop

Westwood

Ellis

Sam B

George B

Hill/Mossop

Crabtree

+ 1 Hooker/half back 

With Tom B and Luke B in the squad

#27 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Sam Burgess still plays like a prop. Packing down at 13 is essentially the same as packing down at 8 or 10 these days. I think big George needs to be used as impact off the bench. After 20 mins when defences are starting to tire a bit, someone like him running onto a ball from 10 15 yards out is really gonna test any defence.

in the pack I'd go for

8. S Burgess

9. Roby

10. Graham

11. Ellis

12. Hock

13. O'Loughlin

Bench

Crabtree
Westwood
G Burgess

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#28 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hasn't Crabtree made more yards this season than any other prop bar Peacock?..

Stop letting facts cloud your judgement, they have no place on this thread!

#29 FearTheVee

FearTheVee
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Shame the WC has come a year early for Walmsley - he's been absolutely immense for Saints this season.  I would imagine his stats are better than a lot of the SL props being mentioned on this thread, and he offers genuine impact.

#30 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Shame the WC has come a year early for Walmsley - he's been absolutely immense for Saints this season.  I would imagine his stats are better than a lot of the SL props being mentioned on this thread, and he offers genuine impact.

I'd still consider him anyway, his size and power could be real handy coming off the interchange bench.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#31 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

http://www.superleag...ts/player_stats

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#32 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Maybe we should create separate threads where we discuss the various positions for the England squad?

Anyway, I'd say Jammer should be an absolute certainty for a starting role for England. If O'Loughlin is fit then I'd have Sam Burgess as the other starting prop with George Burgess and Chris Hill coming off the bench.

#33 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'd challenge anyone to watch Warrington's games against Huddersfield this season and then reassess Hill's position in the pecking order relative to the admittedly likeable Crabtree. Hill has owned 'the cuddly prop' three times this season, just as Mossop did on Thursday.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#34 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Though In his defene, Wigan's entire forward rotation was based on bashing Crabtree, so he has earned a fair bit of respect. He's always looked good at international level and would have top quality support around him.
Looking at this another way I would lose no sleep at all about a pack based around any of these props - burgesses, Graham, Hill, Crabtree or Mossop. Too early for Taylor and Walmsley for mine and I wouldn't be worried to see them in the mix.
Given the front row strength, I would look at Sam in the back row, with Ellis as work horse, Westwood off the bench and lockers if fit we'll be we'll set. Happily, no one has got injured yet. Fingers crossed they get through the next few weeks unscathed.

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Is the expression not "shoo in" ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#36 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Sam Burgess still plays like a prop. Packing down at 13 is essentially the same as packing down at 8 or 10 these days. I think big George needs to be used as impact off the bench. After 20 mins when defences are starting to tire a bit, someone like him running onto a ball from 10 15 yards out is really gonna test any defence.

in the pack I'd go for

8. S Burgess

9. Roby

10. Graham

11. Ellis

12. Hock

13. O'Loughlin

Bench

Crabtree
Westwood
G Burgess

My problem with Westwood coming off the bench is he doesn't bring that instant spark that the change is meant to. He's far more effective starting and giving 60/70 great minutes. Hock gives that initial "oomph" off the bench

#37 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

My problem with Westwood coming off the bench is he doesn't bring that instant spark that the change is meant to. He's far more effective starting and giving 60/70 great minutes. Hock gives that initial "oomph" off the bench

I'd agree with that.
Posted Image

#38 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'd agree with that.

So would I

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#39 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Great pack but McBanana's selection of half backs will ultimately let the England side down.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#40 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

More to the point, what programme is Graham on, now that his Australian season is over, the World Cup is still a fair way off. Any other Bulldogs player or one from other eliminated clubs who is at or near WC level will be in the Aus or NZ train-on squad. Where is Supermac's train on squad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users