James Graham - shoe in for England?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

More to the point, what programme is Graham on, now that his Australian season is over, the World Cup is still a fair way off. Any other Bulldogs player or one from other eliminated clubs who is at or near WC level will be in the Aus or NZ train-on squad. Where is Supermac's train on squad?

He needs to fly back to the UK, now, surely.

#42 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Watching the Bulldogs v Knights match on Premier Sports today and it got me thinking about Graham and the England squad. He's generally considered an automatic for England, but I wonder how people think he has gone this year.

Haven't seen many Bulldogs matches this season, but when I have seen them, Graham doesn't seem to have had the same wow factor as last season. Can't think he's done owt wrong mind!

He obviously had the big suspension at the start of the season, but how has he been going generally this season?

Is he likely to be as devastating as usual for England in the World Cup this year, or is he not currently playing his best footy?

Last season Graham could easily have been awarded the 'Best Prop in R/L' title and easily too. He was simply superb and surprised me as to how differently he could play the game.

I have high lighted your last line because as you may have deduced from my previous comment, I never considered his England form at even close to being described as devastating.

Relentless, of course, but for all he put in I always thought that he achieved so little especially against the top two S/Hemi sides, who habitually handled him with comparitive ease.

This term he has not been so effective but again, considering the decline that his team has displayed he has still managed to sustain a high regard and possibly, has also even enhanced his own reputation too. 

He certainly is going to be a shoe in and rightly so, however it depends on how he is directed to play that matters. If MacNamara insists that he carries out those old bulldozing tactics with which he was utilised for previously, for England, then I contend that his presence will not be fulfilled to anywhere close to what he displays in the NRL. 

#43 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Forwards will not dominate enough in this World Cup to dictate the play.

A team that can hold their own in the forwards will have done enough if their Backs cut loose in attack.

Not many teams have Forwards that good to win a game nowadays, the Halves set the play and the backs decide the score.

#44 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's a pretty good choice on props.  How about we just pick 8 props each match????

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#45 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Forwards will not dominate enough in this World Cup to dictate the play.

A team that can hold their own in the forwards will have done enough if their Backs cut loose in attack.

Not many teams have Forwards that good to win a game nowadays, the Halves set the play and the backs decide the score.

Is that more of a hope than a belief?

This is possibly the first series for the past 40 years that Australia on paper at least, are not seeming to have the most dominant pack.

They are very likely, possibly going to field the oldest pack and again, possibly the least mobile one within a similar 40 year period, something of a change as the same old personnel look likely to be there again in force.

Australia with the backs they have are favourites understandably but the maxim still applies that if the pack fails the backs will flounder.

Maybe this time they will not outlast all opposition, hen their backs will need to be doing more defending than their opponents, that will be a distinct change for them and could easily tip the balance in a tight match, who know's then what the outcome will be?    

#46 Saints 4 Life

Saints 4 Life
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hope he gets picked for England it will be good to see the mighty Jamma play.

#47 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

It's a pretty good choice on props.  How about we just pick 8 props each match????

Only if Nathan Brown is coach.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#48 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

i would go with:

sam burgess
roby/lunt
graham
westwood
ellis
o'loughlin

george burgess
hill
morley
roby/lunt
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users