Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tourists only come to the UK for London - London Deputy Mayor

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,951 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Err aren't the two major airports for the UK in London, with direct connections to alsmost every major city in the world. That would make it pretty hrad not to vist London if you were travelling to the UK

One of the major 'London' airports is in Crawley but thankfully most people have the sense to catch the first train away from there.

28m391z.jpg

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Wasn't there a rather large sporting event in London in 2012?

The Challenge Cup Final wouldn't account for all of those visitors, though.

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I've written to Bradford Council about the state of the paintwork on Five Rise Locks at Bingley ... it's a disgrace.

It may well be British Waterways' responsibility to maintain the facility but it's a major tourist attraction of national importance and the Bradford Council Tourism Unit should keep a watching brief..

Needless to say, the Bradford Council website does not offer an e-mail address for people to contact the Tourism Unit.

<_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Go to the Lake District anytime and there is every nationality under the sun walking around.

I find this very difficult to believe.

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've written to Bradford Council about the state of the paintwork on Five Rise Locks at Bingley ... it's a disgrace.

It may well be British Waterways' responsibility to maintain the facility but it's a major tourist attraction of national importance and the Bradford Council Tourism Unit should keep a watching brief..

Needless to say, the Bradford Council website does not offer an e-mail address for people to contact the Tourism Unit.

<_<

On 2 July 2012, British Waterways ceased to exist in England and Wales 

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

me too. ain't no sunshine when she's gone in the Lakes

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

On 2 July 2012, British Waterways ceased to exist in England and Wales 

Thanks, I hadn't realised that.

Seems like the Environment Agency is in temporary charge till 2015. No signs seen on the towpath though.

Either way, something needs to be done at Five Rise Locks.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks, I hadn't realised that.

Seems like the Environment Agency is in temporary charge till 2015. No signs seen on the towpath though.

Either way, something needs to be done at Five Rise Locks.

Maybe if the government set up a body paying people out of the public purse to look after these things then they would be in a good stat of repair.

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

You are under the sun every day, even when its persisting it down. :tongue:

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

There seems to be a general *whoosh* on the part of this forum as everything the deputy mayor said seems to have been taken the wrong way.

He did not say that foreigners only visit London so the fact that York is full of Yanks or the Lakes full of Japanese (never seen any myself) isn't particularly relevant.

He said that the main reason why people visit the UK is to see London after which they may also visit Oxford, York, Edinburgh etc. In his view, Oxford etc don't the pulling power of London and few tourists would come and see them without seeing London first.

He said that other cities should try to sell themselves as part of a package that includes London. IMO he is right.

#31 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

BBC article link re the reduction in tourist numbers in the Lakes in 2012 and impact of Olympics. Note references to high numbers of Japanese and Chinese tourists in the Lakes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-19267744

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

References to but no numbers.

Now the claim that Beatrix Potter is used to teach English in Japan doesn't ring true to me and I teach foreigners English for a living. I don't think I can ever recall a Japanese student making any reference to Potter or the Lake District (or one of the Brontes either). They are very modern and thus obsessed with Harry Potter.

Nor do I recall seeing large numbers of East Asians in the Lakes (and I've lived in Kendal as well as West Cumbria) or that many foreigners at all.

#33 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Err aren't the two major airports for the UK in London, with direct connections to alsmost every major city in the world. That would make it pretty hrad not to vist London if you were travelling to the UK

There are no major airports in London. There are something like 24 international airports in the UK  if they are not interested in visiting London they will not.

Edited by dhw, 20 September 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Glasgow, Birmingham and Manchester are big enough that if people wanted to visit Scotland, the Midlands or the North and not bother with London then they could.

The thing is that whilst the UK has some really nice places, it has few that would make people travel thousands of miles to visit. Especially considering that foreigners do not like our food, even we do not like the climate, we're relatively expensive and geographically isolated.

The big draw card is London. Edinburgh, Oxford, York etc also see a fair of trade as does Manchester for entirely different reasons but I don't think very many people would come to the UK just for Oxford.

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

References to but no numbers.

Now the claim that Beatrix Potter is used to teach English in Japan doesn't ring true to me and I teach foreigners English for a living. I don't think I can ever recall a Japanese student making any reference to Potter or the Lake District (or one of the Brontes either). They are very modern and thus obsessed with Harry Potter.

Nor do I recall seeing large numbers of East Asians in the Lakes (and I've lived in Kendal as well as West Cumbria) or that many foreigners at all.

An old story but...

http://www.independe...ter-478964.html

The reasons for Japan's fascination with Potter are complex but they stem from the important part her books play in Japanese schoolrooms. They are used because Potter's use of language is straightforward and her sentences are short. It has also been suggested that her stories appeal because they are rooted in nature and play to Japanese schoolgirls' love of kawairashii, or cuteness. As a result, Cumbria receives 11,000 visits a year from Japanese tourists, who contribute 5 per cent of its tourist income. Most visit Hill Top cottage, which was Potter's home.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

An old story but...

http://www.independe...ter-478964.html

The reasons for Japan's fascination with Potter are complex but they stem from the important part her books play in Japanese schoolrooms. They are used because Potter's use of language is straightforward and her sentences are short. It has also been suggested that her stories appeal because they are rooted in nature and play to Japanese schoolgirls' love of kawairashii, or cuteness. As a result, Cumbria receives 11,000 visits a year from Japanese tourists, who contribute 5 per cent of its tourist income. Most visit Hill Top cottage, which was Potter's home.

I know it's the sort of thing that they would like but I've yet to come across a Japanese student who mentioned her or had been to Cumbria. I've also been to Potter's cottage and never saw any Japanese people there. Never seen many in Cumbria at all.

Either I'm just very lucky or the whole thing is overstated.

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I know it's the sort of thing that they would like but I've yet to come across a Japanese student who mentioned her or had been to Cumbria. I've also been to Potter's cottage and never saw any Japanese people there. Never seen many in Cumbria at all.

I've been to the lakes and seen whole coach parties of Japanese tourists, the last time I went to the lakes on the train there was a group of about a dozen Japanese student types in the same coach. I've also seen occasional couple wandering about. Not sure whether they go in for wandering off up the hills but I've certainly seen plenty around the usual tourist haunts.

Evidence of Japanese tourists in the lakes...

https://www.google.c...istrict;620;400

#38 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

I liked seeing the whole country and meeting locals ... you can't say you've seen the UK if you only stay in London.

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

foreigners do not like our food

I've only just read this.

I'm basking in the warmth of of generalising the entire planet's population (UK excepted) and an entire country's diet.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#40 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Not sure of your timescales since living in Cumbria/The Lakes, but in my 12 years of living here, the Japanese/Chinese tourists have gone from (IMO of course) virtually zero to days where the tourists from those countries are to be seen in every part of Ambleside if I spend a couple of hours there.

One of the other reasons for reduced tourist numbers outside of London in 2012 was the decrease in the number of long haul flights from airports outside of London in recent years. Most tourists from Asia have to come into the UK via London. As flights were booked because of the Olympics the tourists didn't have the flight availability to connect from London to elsewhere, hence a proportion of them simply didn't travel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users