• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Dear people of the West,

I am going to appeal to one or more newspapers for help in searching for a woman who who was very important in the history of women's involvement in rugby league. As far as I can tell from electoral records, she was still in the Huyton-Roby area near Liverpool well into the 1950s.

Can anyone advise as to which newspapers I should contact who may be amenable to a feel-good RL story, or publishing a letter?

Also, does anyone have any idea as to local history groups I may be able to get in touch with that might help?

Anyway, thanks very much if you can help,

Victoria

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#2 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

PS. Also looking for anyone who was involved in Merseyside Amateur Rugby League Association at any point. Please get in touch if you were or know anyone who was.

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

The local papers covering the Liverpool area are The Daily Post and the Liverpool Echo

I played in the NWCARL in the 1980s and we used to go and watch Huyton play occasionally. The club chairman of the team I played for then used to play for Liverpool City in the 60s. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 15 September 2013 - 11:17 PM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#5 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks, Griff. Have contacted both.

Is your club chairman still about, do you know?

#6 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Another way is to contact radio merseyside they regularly broadcast appeals for long lost friends on Rodger Phillips lunchtime show

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, Griff. Have contacted both.

Is your club chairman still about, do you know?

Unfortunately the last time I saw him he had emigrated to Spain (he was over on a family visit) but I have no idea where and have lost contact with any mutual friends who may know. Have you tried tracking down Mr Huyton, Geoff Fletcher? He began his career there as a player in 1978, then player/coach but ended up running the place virtually single handed before its eventual demise in 1984? 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users