Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whilst its quiet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

This is a post I did on the "foodand drink" thread on the AOB Forum.
It didnt get any reponse there.
Does anyone here know this as a Barrovian dish?

When I was a kid my mother used to make a dish she called "tatie ash".
I think it was a traditional Lancashire dish based on cheap lamb probably scrag end and potatoes and onions all cooked together a bit like a hotpot. I hated it but think I might like it now.
Does anyone have a recipe for this?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Ron.....my mam's, (she's 87), Tatie hash is minced beef with potatoes and onions done in a big saucepan. Its like a hotpot but with out a crust on top.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#3 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Has your mam put in for the coaching job too Lee or is she sticking to making Tatie Hash ??? :tongue:

Posted Image

#4 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

tell you what Rog... she wouldnt stand for any ###### from the players

Lee Morton

#5 walneyite

walneyite
  • Coach
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Tattie Hash, also known as Tater Hash and Tatie 'ash is a traditional Lancashire dish of boiled potatoes, chopped onions and corned beef stewed long in butter and milk. When cooked, potatoes are mashed (or hashed). Traditionally this was served accompanied by pickled red cabbage and/or pickled beetroot. Sometimes the top is covered with a pastry........

1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm cubes
2 tins of corned beef, cut into 3cm cubes
2 onions, sliced
1 carrot, finely diced
gravy powder
salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
4 tbsp butter

For the Crust:
120g plain flour
60g butter, diced
cold water to bind

Method:

Add the potatoes to a flame-proof casserole (or Dutch oven) then add just enough of a 1:1 mix of water and milk to cover. Bring to a boil then cook for about 10 minutes. Add the onion, carrot and corned beef and boil for 30 minutes. Roughly mash (it should remain a little lumpy) then add enough gravy powder to turn the liquid brown (but don't let it get too thick). Season to taste and dot the top with the butter. Continue simmering gently as you prepare the crust.

Now make the crust. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add just enough water to bring the mixture together as a dough. Roll out the dough onto a greased baking tray then transfer to an oven pre-heated to 200°C and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve the hash spooned onto plates and top with a piece of the pastry. Accompany with pickled red cabbage and/or pickled beetroot.
A negative mind will never give a positive life....... ;-)

#6 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Tattie Hash, also known as Tater Hash and Tatie 'ash is a traditional Lancashire dish of boiled potatoes, chopped onions and corned beef stewed long in butter and milk. When cooked, potatoes are mashed (or hashed). Traditionally this was served accompanied by pickled red cabbage and/or pickled beetroot. Sometimes the top is covered with a pastry........
1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm cubes
2 tins of corned beef, cut into 3cm cubes
2 onions, sliced
1 carrot, finely diced
gravy powder
salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
4 tbsp butter
For the Crust:
120g plain flour
60g butter, diced
cold water to bind
Method:
Add the potatoes to a flame-proof casserole (or Dutch oven) then add just enough of a 1:1 mix of water and milk to cover. Bring to a boil then cook for about 10 minutes. Add the onion, carrot and corned beef and boil for 30 minutes. Roughly mash (it should remain a little lumpy) then add enough gravy powder to turn the liquid brown (but don't let it get too thick). Season to taste and dot the top with the butter. Continue simmering gently as you prepare the crust.
Now make the crust. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add just enough water to bring the mixture together as a dough. Roll out the dough onto a greased baking tray then transfer to an oven pre-heated to 200°C and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve the hash spooned onto plates and top with a piece of the pastry. Accompany with pickled red cabbage and/or pickled beetroot.

Thanks Mate, That sounds like a fancier version of corned beef hash ( just corned beef mashed into potatoes) but I'm definitely going to try It your way. I'm sure my Mams was made with cheap cuts of lamb though.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

theres obviously many forms of the dish Ron ??

Lee Morton

#8 walneyite

walneyite
  • Coach
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Mate, That sounds like a fancier version of corned beef hash ( just corned beef mashed into potatoes) but I'm definitely going to try It your way. I'm sure my Mams was made with cheap cuts of lamb though.

my nanna did similar and think it was recipe above..
She also loved having worcester sauce added...... change corned beef for lamb..
Enjoy. ;-)
A negative mind will never give a positive life....... ;-)

#9 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

I've just found this which seems to fit the bill

1 kg under shoulder, neck and shin of lamb (Cut into 3-4cm thick pieces) perferably regional lamb, eg Bowland Lamb
700g thinly sliced onions
1kg peeled King Edward potatoes
25g plain flour
40g salted butter, melted
150ml chicken stock or beef stock
3tsp sea salt
White pepper
Hotpot dish - stoneware, diameter 8"/21cm, height 3.5"/9cm
Method:

Season the lamb with 1 teaspoon of salt and a good pinch of pepper, dust with the flour. Put the lamb into the base of the Hotpot dish.
Sweat off the onions in 15g of butter with one teaspoon of salt for 4-5mins (to sweat is to cook without colour in a covered pan, on a moderate to hot temperature). Spread the onions evenly on top of the lamb in the Hotpot dish.
Slice the potatoes horizontally (2mm thick). Place in a medium size bowl, add the remaining 25g melted butter, season with 1 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of white pepper, mix well.
Put the sliced potatoes evenly on top of the onions, reserving the best-shaped rounds for the final layer and add the chicken stock.
Place the Hotpot, covered in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes on 180-200C (Aga equivalent bottom of the baking oven) then for approximately 2½ hours on 130C (Aga equivalent in the simmering oven).
Remove from the oven, take off the lid or cover, return to the oven on 180-200Cfor 30-40 minutes or until golden brown (Aga equivalent bottom of the roasting oven).
Serve with pickled red cabbage and glazed baby carrots.

I'll let you know which I prefer after I've tied both the lamb and the owned beef versions.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#10 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Any true Barrovian say "me mam" never "my mam" now behave yersels will yeh.

#11 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Not sure what this has to do with the Mighty Raiders but anyway.....

I was talking to Adam Clay's Mam a few matches ago and she said Adam was raised on Lancashire Hot Pot.

So there y'go!
Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users