Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Player Points

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

I was just reading the league Weekly report of the match, and noticed amongst other things (Liam W being described as Alex W etc) that Walton received a 7 whilst every other Batley player received an 8 or above.

Now I was there, and other than one knock on in the second half, I didn't think Walton was our worst player at all. He did so much hard work and made the hard yards. I am mystified why this should be the case. The lowest score on the Leigh side was also 7. I do not think that Walton was as bad as Maden or Higson for example.

I really do wonder where these ratings come from!

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Walton gave away a silly penalty for running behind our man othet than that I thought he did OK. Walmsley was the only dog I was a little disapointed with

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

I wouldn't read anything into the ratings in League Weekly. They'll probably be little more than a mere after thought for the reporters, and have always been pretty wide of the mark. One reporter - Maurice Bamford I think, used to give players who were injured early in a match a rating of '4'.

Posted Image

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I wouldn't read anything into the ratings in League Weekly. They'll probably be little more than a mere after thought for the reporters, and have always been pretty wide of the mark. One reporter - Maurice Bamford I think, used to give players who were injured early in a match a rating of '4'.

I just think it's indicative of the poor standard of match reports, not just in LW. The reports in the Batley News are simply awful. I used to teach 10 year old who could do better. In fact they are simply summaries of the scores rather than reports. A very poor standard.

#5 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

I thought the write up was pretty good in the League Express today.

#6 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Didn't read it. I usually only get the LW but might consider transferring my loyalties!

#7 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

ones in league express normally are , i know malcolm haigh does them when we are at home

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#8 flyfisherman

flyfisherman
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

I just think it's indicative of the poor standard of match reports, not just in LW. The reports in the Batley News are simply awful. I used to teach 10 year old who could do better. In fact they are simply summaries of the scores rather than reports. A very poor standard.

Spot on. On I am not sure some watch the game

#9 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

Agree with comments on Batley News coverage. I've taken the sports guy to task on a number of occasions i.e. using wrong names under pictures etc. The whole standard of the paper has gone south since it was taken over and changed its' format and match reports, of all sports, is a joke. No league tables for the local cricket and in years gone by when I ran a local amatuer team we always got good coverage from reports club secretaries would send in. I commented yesterday that I too was disappointed with Walmsley yesterday, every fault came from him, knock-ons and a couple of penalties given away in poor positions defensively. Unless injured, can't see why Faal didn't play, he's been on good form lately. Would he have got the ball down for that try though!! That was magic from Brev. Walton I though was as effective as any forward, always there on the drive, in fact if you watch the game again, see how many times Walton, Campbell and Johnson took the ball forward from dummy half or first receiver, they did all the forwards' work for them. 

#10 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

I can see why Faal was not picked............the Moore Faal defensive combination can be a bit leaky at times.  Moores tackling has improved considerably but his size puts him at a disadvantage near the line.  Faal tend to hang back and doesn't seem to read the opposition plays as well as Maun or Bretherton or struggles to get into position.  Whether he plays against Fev may come down to the weather forecast.  If dry then his running with the ball and ball handling may see him restored to the side but if the weather is like Sundays then perhaps we will see Bretherton or Maun at centre.   

#11 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Did anyone notice walton was caught out for two of there trys hope jk was noticing this as imho this lets him down at times seemed leigh used this tatic all the time to try and isolate campbell.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Matty Crowther got a 5 for Eagles at Oldham in 1997.  He was a sub and didn't get on.  He was only entitled to a 1 for "on team sheet".

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users