Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mail on Sunday RL Coverage

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I bought a copy of the Mail on Sunday yesterday expecting to see match reports on the two Saturday play off games.  I bought the paper in Manchester so it was the northern edition (if they still have different editions).  I scanned the sports pages from top to bottom and found absolutely nothing.  Other sports were covered to a greater or lesser extent.  There were two short paragraphs on canoeing, a report on the triathlon, cycling, golf and three pages on union etc.  Football, of course, received blanket coverage.

All I could find on League was the score for Warrington v Leeds.  Underneath that was a reference to St Helens v Hull KR with "L" for late kick off.  The game kicked off at 5pm FFS, so it was hardly late.  The icing on the cake though was a full page match report and photo on Everton v Chelsea ..............and this kicked off at 5:30pm!!!!  The lazy so and so's couldn't even be bothered to check teletext to get the saints score.  Absolute disgrace.  An e-mail to the Mail is on its way

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Daily Mail in "rubbish newspaper" shock! :O

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Daily Mail in "rubbish newspaper" shock! :O

It is a shock though.  Surely, at the very least, a couple of paragraphs could have been expected.

#4 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

You got everything that you deserved for buying the Mail. I suggest you try a newspaper next time.
People called Romans they go the house

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

You should have bought the Express. Apparently Sam Tomkins is leaving the UK because he "knows too much" about the death of Diana. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

see http://www.dailymail...ague/index.html

http://www.mailclass...tion-readership  shows the circulation and readership of the dailies and sundays

Clearly, The Independent is the best newspaper as it has the lowest figures and is hugely loss making, whilst The Mail must be more or less the worst  as it has the second highest figures and makes a profit.

I think that yes, it would be in our interests for our sport to have much more coverage in the high circulation successful  press rather than in the low circulation press failing press, but that might not go down well with those media snob forum members who despise popularity and profit in whatever form.

Disclaimer: I don't buy the Mail, nor the Guardian, nor the Independent: they are all as bad as each other, the Mail's populist and anti-intellectual stance being matched by the Guardians elitist pseudo-intellectualism.

#7 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

You got everything that you deserved for buying the Mail. I suggest you try a newspaper next time.

Not quite the point though is it

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

The Indy is off any future shopping list of mine, following that Mike Calvin 'article'. Their sales can carry on dwindling into oblivion as far as I care.

The Mirror, last time I looked through a copy, was a pretty cruddy looking publication, but Nigel Wiskar's online column is good fun.

The Grauniad's Australian connection makes their online edition good for NRL in particular.

To be honest, although they cover Rugby League very little, the Telegraph usually is the best-written of the national papers.

Edited by Futtocks, 16 September 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#9 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Saturday's Times had no mention of Hull v Catalans. Sunday's had a column on Wire v Leeds and 3 full pages of RU. It'll never happen but sometimes I dream of a RL megolamaniac media baron buying up newspapers left,right and centre and acting as if RU didnt exist. And sacking Stephen Jones. And that div from the Independent

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

Saturday's Times had no mention of Hull v Catalans. Sunday's had a column on Wire v Leeds and 3 full pages of RU. It'll never happen but sometimes I dream of a RL megolamaniac media baron buying up newspapers left,right and centre and acting as if RU didnt exist. And sacking Stephen Jones. And that div from the Independent

It's our own fault though apparently because we sold out to the ghetto that is Sky TV. If only we'd have gone to a major player like Rugby Union did, maybe we'd get some better coverage.

#11 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

You should have bought the Express. Apparently Sam Tomkins is leaving the UK because he "knows too much" about the death of Diana. ;)

Very good. :biggrin:

#12 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

It's our own fault though apparently because we sold out to the ghetto that is Sky TV. If only we'd have gone to a major player like Rugby Union did, maybe we'd get some better coverage.

Well it's easy to rubbish that opinion, but we have to remember that union went into their Sky deal from a much stronger [media] position than we did, so the effects of our decision can't really be considered in the same way. Not saying I totally swallow the idea btw, but it can't be dismissed in quite such a disparaging way either imo, as there are many separate but interdependent things which add up to where we are now vis a vis the various media.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Well it's easy to rubbish that opinion, but we have to remember that union went into their Sky deal from a much stronger [media] position than we did, so the effects of our decision can't really be considered in the same way. Not saying I totally swallow the idea btw, but it can't be dismissed in quite such a disparaging way either imo, as there are many separate but interdependent things which add up to where we are now vis a vis the various media.

It can tbh. If that is a reason people are ignoring the game, I assume the Aviva Premiership will now get ignored that it has 'sold its soul' to BT.

RL has always been the poor relation when it comes to media coverage - for some reason RL seems to be the only sport to get criticised for selling its rights to Sky - and people use this as a reason why our coverage has dropped.

#14 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

today I've got the Grauniad which has a 14 page sports pullout. Vast amount of football,obviously.There's more Athletics,Cycling,Boxing,Triathlon &Racing than RL. Reckon we draw with Tennis. RU has four full match reports. It has a bit on the front page about the RU European competition breakaway. It has a half page opinion piece on the back page about Bath and Leicester. RL? 3/4 of a column, wedged in next to a picture of SaracensvGloucester, which has to cover Saturday's play off games & a review of the ones to come.

Obviously I'm stating the bleeding obvious by pointing all that out but sometimes it's good to share....

#15 wilson

wilson
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Sorry to upset all you MoS knockers but up here in Cumbria the paper carried a full page of RL including match reports by Neil Barraclough (St Helens v. Hull KR) and Rochard Bott (Warrington v. Leeds)) plus a picture of Westwood's fourth try and an explanation of how the play-off system works.

#16 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I take the Mail, daily, simply because I like to read about other than ######'s a***s and cover to back banal celebrity coverage or constantly about rubbish such as BB, BGT, etc. Or all of the TV garbage the Sun, Mirror, Star, etc can uncover. But!
Being an R/L fan I have to admit does create a definite paradox, one which aggravates me so much to the extent of firing off occasional and sometimes regular letters of complaint over the non-coverage that Rugby League receives within its sports coverage.

In this instance the DM is an absolute disgrace, something I have complained of innumerable times but sadly to no avail. They are completely committed to Onion, why even Football has to play second fiddle to it within those pages at times also!

For R/L there is no appetite whatever. That is unless something of a misdemeanour crops up within the sport, whenever such occurs there is always and, without exception, column space to be found in which to exploit this to the fullest and finest detail too?

I have also in the past written to the RFL urging them to ban the Mail from our big games and, to make it known that they have taken such a course of action until that paper can be bothered to give our sport the rightful positioning in this country that it warrants.

Admittedly that would leave it behind onion and football still, but to no imaginative manner in the way it currently does.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Can't confirm the figures but Wikipedia notes that  MailOnline (also known as dailymail.co.uk) is the website of the Daily Mail, a tabloid newspaper in the United Kingdom and a division of Associated Newspapers Ltd. The MailOnline website is one of the most visited newspaper websites in the world,[2] with over 100 million visitors per month in August 2012.

I've already posted a link to their on line coverage of league but I reckon you need to be a fan already to deliberately go to their on line coverage. Wonder how many hits they get?

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,269 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

I assume the Aviva Premiership will now get ignored that it has 'sold its soul' to BT.

I'm still waiting for the start of season expose that more than half its teams are basically bankrupt.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm still waiting for the start of season expose that more than half its teams are basically bankrupt.

To be fair, at the start of the 2012/13 RU season, the Guardian had a two page feature on the plight of RU in Wales. Dead on its bum, basically with ageing and dwindling crowds as young people turn to football. There was an interview with Richard Webster (ex Salford) who is now head coach at a well known Welsh RU club (so well known I can't remember who it was) who revealed that they're struggling for players and even had to field just 14 for one match a year or so previously. 

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

stop being chippy.