Mail on Sunday RL Coverage

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

mondays liverpool echo has brilliant RL coverage for the local teams, today there is a full page report of the saints. v hkr game and half a page on wire v leeds. with a look forward column to the next round..................not bad for a non rugby league city local paper.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

The Sunday People has regular RL coverage in its paper edition.  I buy one now and again just to support the cause (I'm a committed broadsheet reader).  They had a great little piece on London Skolars a couple of weeks ago for example.  Even though I think the paper as a paper is a load of old rubbish (each to their own!), it may be worth boosting their circulation given their consistent coverage of RL.

Edited by Saintslass, 16 September 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#23 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Write and complain to the MOS, we are far too British...shuffle shuffle moan moan...but not addresses the problem. I always have Stephen Jones in my sights, think I'm in double figures for responses from the editor...let's um know we are alive.

Right, ill write to the MoS if you do mr bull...address on their website

#24 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Ok email sent to the mail on sunday. Easy, done. One email sent. Anyone else fancy a go at standing up for their sport ?

#25 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sorry to upset all you MoS knockers but up here in Cumbria the paper carried a full page of RL including match reports by Neil Barraclough (St Helens v. Hull KR) and Rochard Bott (Warrington v. Leeds)) plus a picture of Westwood's fourth try and an explanation of how the play-off system works.

Sorry to upset all you MoS knockers but up here in Cumbria the paper carried a full page of RL including match reports by Neil Barraclough (St Helens v. Hull KR) and Rochard Bott (Warrington v. Leeds)) plus a picture of Westwood's fourth try and an explanation of how the play-off system works.

I wonder why the paper I bought in north Manchester didn't include the same reports.  Manchester must be classed as southern England!!!!  So, not only do they not know RL, they don't know their geography either.

#26 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

The only time I recall RL getting any sort of mass coverage in the Mail newspapers was when the Long/Gleeson scandal occurred.  They gave over the four back pages to it.  I emailed them congratulating them on the improvement of their RL coverage. But for some strange reason they never devoted 4 pages to RL again AFAIK

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

yet the RL section in the on line version is quite extensive, so they have the copy. 

#28 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

The Sunday People has regular RL coverage in its paper edition.  I buy one now and again just to support the cause (I'm a committed broadsheet reader).  They had a great little piece on London Skolars a couple of weeks ago for example.  Even though I think the paper as a paper is a load of old rubbish (each to their own!), it may be worth boosting their circulation given their consistent coverage of RL.

Same here. The paper is mostly nonsense but as they continue to give RL decent coverage I'll continue to buy it.

#29 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Same here. The paper is mostly nonsense but as they continue to give RL decent coverage I'll continue to buy it.

Fred Trueman used to be their RL reporter.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#30 dazza

dazza
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

The old adage is that the people get what the people want, people who buy the mail don't want to read about RL, its simple, you think those football/RU etc fans who pick up the MOS to find out that its been suddenly replaced with wall to wall RL are going buy it again? its supply and demand, the readership want to read about things that interested and like it or not more people who buy the mail want to know about the football/RU etc, than they do about RL, you getting your knickers in the twist sending a complaint ain't going to give the publishers some sort of epiphany that they must get interested in RL. They'll get interested in RL if there readership demand it but I can't see that happening anytime soon. 

#31 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

The old adage is that the people get what the people want, people who buy the mail don't want to read about RL, its simple, you think those football/RU etc fans who pick up the MOS to find out that its been suddenly replaced with wall to wall RL are going buy it again? its supply and demand, the readership want to read about things that interested and like it or not more people who buy the mail want to know about the football/RU etc, than they do about RL, you getting your knickers in the twist sending a complaint ain't going to give the publishers some sort of epiphany that they must get interested in RL. They'll get interested in RL if there readership demand it but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Most papers sales are dropping like a stone so they obviously aren't listening to their readerships.

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

That's not really true.

RL gets next to no coverage across the various newspapers - are you saying there is nobody in the country that wants to read about RL in the written media?

#33 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think the problem can only be solved by getting RL supporting Sports Section editors of the big papers. This in itself is tricky because the current sports editors probably despise RL if they are from a posh background or will have no interest from a football background, and thus any young journalist wanting to cover RL will get his CV chucked in the bin. Its likely that the younger journalists will have to sneak in through the back door via also doing football/cricket etc

Can the RFL not sponsor budding sports journalists thru Uni?

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Absolutely no way does club RU warrant the coverage it gets in most papers and especially the broadsheets. So why does it get such big coverage? Forget the international angle, I am specifically talking about the club game, whose gates are not *that* much bigger than SL.

#35 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Absolutely no way does club RU warrant the coverage it gets in most papers and especially the broadsheets. So why does it get such big coverage? Forget the international angle, I am specifically talking about the club game, whose gates are not *that* much bigger than SL.

It's a trickle down effect from the international game, works the same for cricket, the county game doesn't really warrant the coverage it gets.

If you a newspaper editor where do you put your resources 

Cricket gives you around 10 test matches a year, 20 ODI and twenty twenty finals day, plus a World Cup every four years

RU gives you 12 international weekend (in front of sold out stadiums) the Heineken Cup final (Once again Sold out) and the premiership final (you guessed it sold out again), along with a world cup every four years and the lions tour every four years.

RL gives you the grand final, the challenge cup final (complete with a fine view of thousands of empty seats), and well really thats it. There a world cup and internationals but thus far rugby league fans have done a decent impression of not caring so why should the media.

If your an editor which sport would you spend your money on, and once you've hired yourself a cricket and a rugby union writer you need to keep them busy so on the weekends when they don't have a major event they can fill the holes once you've run out of things to write about football.

Ultimately i think the amount of coverage Union gets is kind of irrelivent, if you told a sports editor he could only write about football and nothing else i doubt they'd lose much sleep over it. Every sport in the UK if it wants newspaper coverage has to convince the papers it's worth covering instead of championship and league one football, Union and cricket are simply better at it, they make themselves difficult to ignore. League with such a small amount of major events is easy to ignore and till it fixes that nothing will change.

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

I agree but club RU got pretty big coverage even when it really was three men and a dog.

#37 dazza

dazza
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

Most papers sales are dropping like a stone so they obviously aren't listening to their readerships.

So if the MOS started to give coverage to RL and reduce the coverage of RU, you really think there getting to get a massive spike in sales? 

That's not really true.

RL gets next to no coverage across the various newspapers - are you saying there is nobody in the country that wants to read about RL in the written media?

No I'm saying the MOS readership aren't particularly interested in reading about RL, hence little or no coverage, likewise readers of the Hull Daily Mail won't care about RU, is not what the readership that both the papers currently want at the moment, at the end of the day, these papers are business, they need to appeal to their audience for them to buy the paper, focusing on things which the readership find uninteresting and will make them not buy their paper again, is bad business sense not to listen your audience.

It gets bigger coverage, because like it or not, its the bigger game nationally, you can argue about SL getting bigger gates etc, but RU is more in the national conscious and my opinion thats down to the international game (six nations, lions etc) reflected on to the club games. They see the six nations/lions, get interested in the players and hence get knowledge of the club sides and then it snowballs. That's why the big corporates gravity to RU, they know people are interested in the game and want a piece of the action, look at the news today one of the stories about the British Lions at Downing street and the bunny ears to cameron, its publicity and it reinforces that the people making the news play RU.

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

What bunny ears? I have heard absolutely nothing about the RU lions being at Downing Street. It isn't so massive.

#39 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I agree but club RU got pretty big coverage even when it really was three men and a dog.

I don't doubt that there is an element of keeping onside with the RFU, ultimately I'd imagine the club game for both union and league are of marginal value to the newspapers but you've got some space to fill and if they've got a choice between earning some brownie points with the RFU or the RFL i doubt they have to think very long about it.

#40 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

I am not after wall to wall coverage to the detriment / replacement of other sports (although that would be nice), just simple recognition would be a start. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users