RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mail on Sunday RL Coverage

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

On many occasions, the Daily Mail don't publish the Friday night rugby league results in its Saturday edition!

Edited by Saint Billinge, 18 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#42 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Absolutely no way does club RU warrant the coverage it gets in most papers and especially the broadsheets. So why does it get such big coverage? Forget the international angle, I am specifically talking about the club game, whose gates are not *that* much bigger than SL.

Football typically gets about 70% club RU gets about 10% more like 20% during it's european competition which is similar for most other sports.10-15% seems about right. It is market driven and nobody has shown any evidence it is not. To illustrate this look at what happened regarding the "Daily Telegraph Camapaign" for better RL coverage. The last 12 online articles have generated just 1 comment between them as the dpmestic season's climax approaches followed by the biggest world cup in history. Based on that it is less popular to the readership of the Daily Telegraph than UFC and Squash.  

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,567 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Football typically gets about 70% club RU gets about 10% more like 20% during it's european competition which is similar for most other sports.10-15% seems about right. It is market driven and nobody has shown any evidence it is not. To illustrate this look at what happened regarding the "Daily Telegraph Camapaign" for better RL coverage. The last 12 online articles have generated just 1 comment between them as the dpmestic season's climax approaches followed by the biggest world cup in history. Based on that it is less popular to the readership of the Daily Telegraph than UFC and Squash.  

I think one of the things that has happened is that Rugby League fans have more or less given up on the national press and other media. They rely on the internet and LPL etc., because they are sick of the shoddy treatment we get from the national papers, radio and TV.

So, in a way, it's our fault, but if it wasn't for the years of (mostly) indifference and (occasionally) malice from the London-based press, they'd all be selling more papers.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,153 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Football typically gets about 70% club RU gets about 10% more like 20% during it's european competition which is similar for most otherwise sports.10-15% seems about right. It is market driven and nobody has shown any evidence it is not. To illustrate this look at what happened regarding the "Daily Telegraph Camapaign" for better RL coverage. The last 12 online articles have generated just 1 comment between them as the dpmestic season's climax approaches followed by the biggest world cup in history. Based on that it is less popular to the readership of the Daily Telegraph than UFC and Squash.

Yes, I can't dispute that. But IMO its chicken and egg. People become accustomed to there being no RL in the Telegraph over the years and just don't bother going there.
I did used to comment on the articles but invariably found it hijacked by union trolls just looking for a squabble so eventually sacked it.

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,503 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

For the opening round of the Aviva Premiership there was an aggregate crowd of 112k (boosted by a larger Twickenham crowd) plus vieiwing figs for 2 live matches of 198k. 

So 310k were interested in watching the RU club opening round.

For the opening round of the Super League there was an aggregate crowd of 64k, plus viewing figures of 284k.

Across the written media which of these two opening rounds do you think attracted the most coverage? Now there will be many reasons, but general interest is not one of them.

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,153 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I am not after wall to wall coverage to the detriment / replacement of other sports (although that would be nice), just simple recognition would be a start.

This is an important distinction. Anytime you complain people jump up and say 'soccer etc are more popular'....which is true except that whilst RL may not be the most popular around, it certainly warrants more than zero coverage.

#47 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

You only need to look at the Daily Mail website sports section to tell you everything you need to know about their paper edition. 

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,159 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

you mean like this?

#49 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

online coverage seems ok and video from super league website available.

#50 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I think the problem can only be solved by getting RL supporting Sports Section editors of the big papers. This in itself is tricky because the current sports editors probably despise RL if they are from a posh background or will have no interest from a football background, and thus any young journalist wanting to cover RL will get his CV chucked in the bin. Its likely that the younger journalists will have to sneak in through the back door via also doing football/cricket etc

Can the RFL not sponsor budding sports journalists thru Uni?

The amound of people willing and available and qualified to write about the sport is not the problem - believe me! In fact the number of people qualified to write about any sport will never be a problem, it's the fact that journalism is on it's backside and nobody is willing to pay anyone, certainly not for RL coverage. The problem is at the top, not the bottom and I don't think that's going to be fixed ever if I'm honest.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#51 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

RL has always been the poor relation when it comes to media coverage - for some reason RL seems to be the only sport to get criticised for selling its rights to Sky - and people use this as a reason why our coverage has dropped.

Not quite true. Cricket gets an almighty slagging for selling their rights to Sky. Doesn’t seem to have done them a lot of harm in terms of press coverage.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#52 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Not quite true. Cricket gets an almighty slagging for selling their rights to Sky. Doesn’t seem to have done them a lot of harm in terms of press coverage.

Cricket provides regular international series which seem to capture the [national] public imagination, whilst on the other hand, RL.. errm, even in a world cup year, doesn't. Sadly, that probably gives us the reason.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,159 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

The hierarchy of headline-grabbing sports events now seems to be 

World Cup 

International series

European competition

National competition

are we half way there yet?

#54 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

The amound of people willing and available and qualified to write about the sport is not the problem - believe me! In fact the number of people qualified to write about any sport will never be a problem, it's the fact that journalism is on it's backside and nobody is willing to pay anyone, certainly not for RL coverage. The problem is at the top, not the bottom and I don't think that's going to be fixed ever if I'm honest.

If the game had more money then the RFL could fund a number of journalists at several key media outlets. Maybe this is what union does already???

#55 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Cricket provides regular international series which seem to capture the [national] public imagination, whilst on the other hand, RL.. errm, even in a world cup year, doesn't. Sadly, that probably gives us the reason.

True, but even at county level though, the papers seem to give far more column inches to that game when at a guess more people watch RL both on TV and at grounds

SQL Honours

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,503 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

The hierarchy of headline-grabbing sports events now seems to be 

World Cup 

International series

European competition

National competition

are we half way there yet?

Well, let's see - it will be interesting to see how our World Cup is covered, although the signs are already that we can expect better coverage than our club comp.

I suppose the problem is that our club comp already starts from a low level. 

Will be interesting to see how our World Cup games compare to the Rugby Union Autumn Friendlies, I think this is a bit of a benchmark, especially on the weekends where we have games on the same date as England RU.

#57 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

DoSnt Sam tomkins have a sponsored nandos column in the mail .

Offiah has a weekly on in London evening standard

#58 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

True, but even at county level though, the papers seem to give far more column inches to that game when at a guess more people watch RL both on TV and at grounds

County cricket has never really drawn massive crowds, though the Saturday of a roses match at Park Avenue in Bradford used to be packed on a nice day. The other days were a non-event though, but playing when most of the population is either at work or school I guess that was to be expected. Truth is, the county game rides on the back of test cricket, and even the one day 'knock-about' cricket draws big crowds at international level which adds ot the papers' interest. If only RL were the same?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#59 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ok email sent to the mail on sunday. Easy, done. One email sent. Anyone else fancy a go at standing up for their sport ?

My current wife likes the Mail - I detest it.

I lost my rag 2 years ago and wrote to the editor at the Mail asking why there was never any match reports of Friday night games in Saturday's editions.

Fair play to him, he replied staring it was due to meeting print deadlines and the games finished too late.

I replied, stating that other papers managed it and, maybe, that he didn't really have the heart for the job....

It's a pile of manure. The Mail is just full of opinion & not fact - bit like my current wife actually...

It's a bit like when I emailed the Head of Sport at the BBC and pointed out that when I watch Match of the Day it would help a bit if the time was displayed next to score on the screen so I knew what bit of the freakin game I was watching...!!

The clown wrote back stating I was the first person to ever raise this as an issue but that it could not be done "for technical reasons" - what a load of crepe.

I've taken the credit for the fact that they do now flash a time up but I can't watch the programme anymore as,it too, is full of opinion. As I said to the fella in my closing e-mail, "just show me the game fella, with a little clock on show and I will make my own opinions...."

#60 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

On many occasions, the Daily Mail don't publish the Friday night rugby league results in its Saturday edition!

They didn't yesterday.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users