Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Reg 2014

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Heard on Radio Leeds this lunchtime that Glenn will still be using this system for 2014 with the Bulls.I. don't have a problem with this as we used this system with respect by not having different players every week.Wonder if most teams will be doing the same as us next season or going it alone.Will things change for 2015 ?

#2 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Bad news. It seems a few teams are ditching this ridiculous idea and I was sorely wishing we would do the same. Will not be rejoining DREMA until we sever our links with a mollycoddled club that constantly breaks the rules and should have been thrown out of the competition.

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Has it yet been confirmed that DR will continue next year?

With so much to be decided regarding the new league structures for 2015 I would have thought that this would be putting the cart before the horse for the RFL to make such commitments. What about a club that might find itself DR'd with another club which may be threatening to replace them the following season for example? That would make a pretty pickle, now wouldn't it?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

Don't like the dual reg system at all, wev done better the last few weeks when the super league clubs have taken their players back, looked more of a team

#5 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't like it it unsettles teams and it unsettles players eg Tebby

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

There's an article in todays League Weekly with quotes from RFL people saying that the DR system will continue in it's present form in 2014. It also adds that they may make alterations for the 2015 season but it looks like no change for the foreseeable future.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 crispin1415

crispin1415
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

DR is a system implemented by SL clubs for SL clubs to save money on running an u23's. It was then arrogantly sold as a magnanimous gesture by the SL clubs which would 'improve' the quality of the championship. To ensure that they got what they wanted SL clubs undermined the championships meetings about the system by setting up 'partnerships' before any meeting took place. 

Obviously once the season got underway they realised they had over 23's who had nowhere to play and so were made available to the championship partner or anyone they could get them out to. We have had the situation whereby some players have appeared for up to five clubs over the season just to get a game.

I am pretty much a neutral supporter of the game and favour attending at championship games and find myself feeling alienated by the rfl and its weaknesses when dealing with SL and its clubs. The only interest they have in the championship supporter is when they want to sell out a big event which sadly like many others I continue to buy tickets for and so perpetuate the situation. I watch the forums and despair at the patronising way the modern supporters of the so called 'big clubs' treat comments by fans from championship clubs and believe there is no life outside of super league. I will keep attending in the hope of change and a strong rfl that will make decisions for the good of all rugby league but I feel my enthusiasm ebbing away.

#8 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'm not sure how much an use it's been for the club. I don't have all the stats possibly someone does but we haven't really had many players from DR certainly the second half of the season. AOB played 3/4 of the season , and a couple of others for the odd game. Did we really need to DR ? Plenty of times we heard from Glenn " the team picks itself" we are down to the bare bones". In principal I don't have a huge problem with DR but it doesn't seem to have worked for us.
From what I have read DRs were going but it seems not, Donny have fallen out with Wakey. York have split from Hull and are possibly going to Cas. Not sure where that leaves Cougars though.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

DR is a system implemented by SL clubs for SL clubs to save money on running an u23's. It was then arrogantly sold as a magnanimous gesture by the SL clubs which would 'improve' the quality of the championship. To ensure that they got what they wanted SL clubs undermined the championships meetings about the system by setting up 'partnerships' before any meeting took place. 

Obviously once the season got underway they realised they had over 23's who had nowhere to play and so were made available to the championship partner or anyone they could get them out to. We have had the situation whereby some players have appeared for up to five clubs over the season just to get a game.

I am pretty much a neutral supporter of the game and favour attending at championship games and find myself feeling alienated by the rfl and its weaknesses when dealing with SL and its clubs. The only interest they have in the championship supporter is when they want to sell out a big event which sadly like many others I continue to buy tickets for and so perpetuate the situation. I watch the forums and despair at the patronising way the modern supporters of the so called 'big clubs' treat comments by fans from championship clubs and believe there is no life outside of super league. I will keep attending in the hope of change and a strong rfl that will make decisions for the good of all rugby league but I feel my enthusiasm ebbing away.

I broadly agree with your comments, although no player could have appeared for "up to five clubs over the season" under the aegis of DR.

DR is a SL invention for the benefit of SL clubs and shouldn't be perceived as anything but. To attempt to analyse whether it has benefited one club rather than another is to lose sight of this fundamental. I believe that it is to the long-term detriment of Championship clubs, but can understand them being seduced by the short-term benefits.

• jaw likes this
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 jaw

jaw
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm not sure how much an use it's been for the club. I don't have all the stats possibly someone does but we haven't really had many players from DR certainly the second half of the season. AOB played 3/4 of the season , and a couple of others for the odd game. Did we really need to DR ? Plenty of times we heard from Glenn " the team picks itself" we are down to the bare bones". In principal I don't have a huge problem with DR but it doesn't seem to have worked for us.
From what I have read DRs were going but it seems not, Donny have fallen out with Wakey. York have split from Hull and are possibly going to Cas. Not sure where that leaves Cougars though.

I believe the DR with Cas is dead in the water, and has been for quite sometime. The DR that the Cougars had with Cas was pretty poor to be honest. The writing was on the wall when Daryll Powell took over the coaching reigns at Cas. I could be wrong but the last time we played a DR player was around March time and the players who did play were pretty average apart from Emmett who Salford ending up signing on a permanent basis. Prior to that only a couple of Cas players played when we were hit with injuries at the start of the season. Good luck to York, maybe you'll do better than we did with them, just remember this season they did have the smallest squad in SL. I personally hope the Cougars can go into next season without the need for DR as the the likes of Halifax, Featherstone, Sheffield, Leigh and Barrow have this season. DR does nothing for Championship teams IMHO.

#11 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Agreed. When we needed obrien when we had injuries and at our business end of the season Bradford took him back just to play a hat full of first team games, just to try him at first team level once they knew the playoffs were out of their sight, yet the club who he played for the vast majority of the season needed him for big matches and the bulls wouldn't make him available. That's a prime example why dual reg is poor and we are only doing Bradford a favour, nothing in it for us whoever than getting used by a poor superleague club so if I was dews I'd l kick it on head too. We don't need Bradford!

#12 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Excellent post Crispin1415, which I am in full agreement with. I've been a supporter of RL as a whole for 25 years and my love for the game has been eroded in recent times by the way the fans, players and clubs have, as you say, been patronised by SL, the RFL and attitude of supporters who claim to have the wider interests of the game at heart. Never thought I'd give up as a Dewsbury fan, but the dual reg with Bradford was a really painful kick in the throat - not just the implied status of becoming a second/feeder club to them and the belittling of Dewsbury as a club, but also the fact we have become bedfellows with a club who have wrongly been held up as a shining example to others.

I know just how you feel about "big events" too and the guilt that now comes with attending them. I want to go to the World Cup, I want to go to Challenge Cup Finals, I want to see representative games, I would love to see the game expand and more than anything I want to love Dewsbury RLFC. But with developments like dual reg, the lack of promotion and relegation, clubcall, the constant change in league structures and the patronising hype that has to come with everything in the game, it is increasingly difficult to do this. 

#13 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Part of reason challenge cup couldn't sell out is probably to do with this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users