Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Club Call

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

He should flip a coin. Lets have a laugh!
Posted Image

#22 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

He has said if he's made to do club call he's going to toss a coin. Good on him.

Best out of three?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

it would certainly make the news..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I firmly expect Wire to pick the winner of the Huddersfield / Hull game.

Saints & Leeds have great play-off track records and know how up their games to get to finals. Saints also have a pretty decent record at the HJ stadium.

Edited by Saint Toppy, 17 September 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#25 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think Wigan/Leeds, Wigan/Saints will be too tempting for Wire to pass up.

Both those matches could end up with bumps, bruises and sendings off.  Who would pass up that oppertunity???

Wire to pick the winner of Huddersfield/ Hull.

He may toss a coin, but not nessasarily live on TV and it maybe a coin with 2 heads.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#26 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Is there any reason why Tony Smith couldn't put two balls in a bag and pick the team Warrington will play that way?

I don't like the gimmick and there would be no better way than for him to hold a press conference and do exactly that in order for him to show it up for the silly gimmick it is

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

I don't like the gimmick and there would be no better way than for him to hold a press conference and do exactly that in order for him to show it up for the silly gimmick it is

And if they lose, everyone blames him for showboating and not picking the other team.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#28 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

What would happen if he refused to make the call?

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#29 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

What would happen if he refused to make the call?

The chairman did it last time because he refused to.

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

And if they lose, everyone blames him for showboating and not picking the other team.

Yep - I do understand why the RFL put Club call in place, it does technically give the highest ranked team an advantage, but in reality that advantage is eroded by the fact that it can be used as extra motivation by the chosen team.

Even at the moment where it has never really been used and they have always gone with the lowest placed team, people will still state that Leeds were motivated to beat Wire and Wigan due to the fact they selected them.

Now it's easy for somebody like Smith to manage this emotion as he is an intelligent bloke who knows that he hasn't made a choice - the issue is that in sport emotions are very important players and doing things like this can absolutely give Leeds players some motivation, and add more pressure to Warrington players (to use these teams as an example).

Like I say, good in theory, in reality I don't think it's an advantage, and based on that I'm not sure why they should have it.

Maybe one solution would be to give Warrington the Clubcall and they can opt to pass it on to Wigan, so basically the top ranked team always genuinely has the advantage.

#31 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Why doesn't he pick who Wigan play instead? That way the team left cant be motivated because he didn't pick them, they were the only ones left ;)
Posted Image

#32 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Why doesn't he pick who Wigan play instead? That way the team left cant be motivated because he didn't pick them, they were the only ones left ;)

I was worried until I saw the wink.

#33 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Club Call - nobody likes it, but everyone seems to be talking about it!

Everyone I meet seems to think Wire should pick the Giants, but I'm going for Leeds. 

Its a genuine conundrum for Warrington and perhaps the first time its been a 50-50 call.

#34 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wire would be daft not to pick Leeds,a team that have just played a hard fought game,a team who will have picked up a few knocks.A team they took to the cleaners a week earlier.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I think it's been a conundrum every year. We should just pick the lowest placed team, which was Leeds.

If Leeds beat is so be it.

#36 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yep - I do understand why the RFL put Club call in place, it does technically give the highest ranked team an advantage, but in reality that advantage is eroded by the fact that it can be used as extra motivation by the chosen team.

Even at the moment where it has never really been used and they have always gone with the lowest placed team, people will still state that Leeds were motivated to beat Wire and Wigan due to the fact they selected them.

Now it's easy for somebody like Smith to manage this emotion as he is an intelligent bloke who knows that he hasn't made a choice - the issue is that in sport emotions are very important players and doing things like this can absolutely give Leeds players some motivation, and add more pressure to Warrington players (to use these teams as an example).

Like I say, good in theory, in reality I don't think it's an advantage, and based on that I'm not sure why they should have it.

Maybe one solution would be to give Warrington the Clubcall and they can opt to pass it on to Wigan, so basically the top ranked team always genuinely has the advantage.

I don't usually chime in on Rugby threads, but why should the highest ranked team need any extra advantage?

I have said for a few years now, when talking sport, that seeding in any sport is stupid.  Put all the names in a hat and draw them out and you play whoever is drawn.

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

I agree with Nigel Wood, its for once a very difficult decision whoever wins this week is probably capable of winning the comp, even Hull who lets be honest cant play as bad as the CCF

Psst willy, a little tip for you mate. Don't ever set yourself up as a clairvoyant.

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

I don't usually chime in on Rugby threads, but why should the highest ranked team need any extra advantage?

I have said for a few years now, when talking sport, that seeding in any sport is stupid.  Put all the names in a hat and draw them out and you play whoever is drawn.

That's a terrible idea when this is still part of the Super League comp. You may as well not have the 27 rounds.

What you are talking about is a cup comp - the Challenge Cup!

#39 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

He needs to man up and take responsibility, slopey shoulders and excuses already and they haven't even played yet!

He's an Aussie. Were you expecting anything else?

rldfsignature.jpg

#40 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

The purpose of Club Call was to generate media interest in the latter stages of the play-offs. It's certainly worked this year!

So Wire have a tough call to make. Wow! It's a tough sport. Just get on with it, and to be honest, Tony Smith getting all stroppy about it, just adds to the column inches. Whatever happens tomorrow, it will generate interest and we're always moaning that no one pays any attention to our sport.

Should be fun. Just enjoy!