TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Club Call

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Smith ain't daft, he's distancing himself from the decision. Nothing to do with me, not the coaches choice, chairmans choice for financial reasons. No motivation for the other team as its a financial and not playing decision.

He also knows his stance and comments will generate column inches.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#42 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

chairmans choice for financial reasons. No motivation for the other team as its a financial and not playing decision.

So he'll pick leeds as they'll bring more fans?

#43 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

So he'll pick leeds as they'll bring more fans?

Not necessarily so, Leeds may bring more fans, they may not. It isn't the only factor. Only the bean counters at Warrington will know which is the more financially rewarding. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#44 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Not necessarily so, Leeds may bring more fans, they may not. It isn't the only factor. Only the bean counters at Warrington will know which is the more financially rewarding.

Leeds or Huddersfield and you think Huddersfield may or may not bring more supporters!!! It's not personal Padge, honest. You just keep posting contentious stuff.

rldfsignature.jpg

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

I may have missed something, but Smith has never mentioned that the decision will be made on financial grounds. He has said, he wants nothing to do with it, he'll leave it to others and if he has to do it he'll flip a coin.

I'm pretty sure the club is more ambitious than picking a club which will deliver a bigger crowd - especially when we don't get the gate receipts in full - so with all due respect Padge, I think your comment on that was a red herring.

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Leeds or Huddersfield and you think Huddersfield may or may not bring more supporters!!! It's not personal Padge, honest. You just keep posting contentious stuff.

I don't know how many either team will bring. There are however other financial considerations. Leeds last week attracted about 1.000 more for the play-off game than Huddersfield did for the league game. So at first glance you would say, financially its Leeds. The problem is you don't know the in stadium spend. Do Leeds supporters not bother with the bars etc so much, do Huddersfield supporters have a better spend per head ratio. The bean counters will have a finger on what each bar takes for each visiting team, and since the visitors mostly occupy one end and they know how many are in that end they have an idea how much they pull out of their wallets.

If its Leeds are the corporate's more likely to be filled with people watching the game than with free loaders buying extra drinks in the bar.

As the gate money is split evenly for play-offs the financial benifits of 1,000 people is far less than for a league game so you want the ones who are spending in the ground.

I don't know the figures, and my proposition is only based on reasoning it out as to why one club could be more beneficial financially than the other. 

Of course there could also be another big incentive financially, getting to and winning the Grand Final is a massive financial incentive, maybe the bean counters may just look at that.

#47 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I may have missed something, but Smith has never mentioned that the decision will be made on financial grounds. He has said, he wants nothing to do with it, he'll leave it to others and if he has to do it he'll flip a coin.

I'm pretty sure the club is more ambitious than picking a club which will deliver a bigger crowd - especially when we don't get the gate receipts in full - so with all due respect Padge, I think your comment on that was a red herring.

I never said that Smith said that, I said he was distancing self from the decision and leaving it to the business to decide. As a business you will decide what financially is the best decision.

Read my previous post, especially the last line.  ;)

#48 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Get hudds picked. They'll bring fewer fans, which should keep the atmosphere subdued. We seem to have the measure of them.
Let Leeds and wigan belt each other all over the park.

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Smith's been told to change his mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24185944

Strange if its just down to on-field stuff that the other three are involved.

:biggrin:

#50 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

He was very quick to say we'd pick the lowest placed team without actually looking at what the possible outcomes could be. Its a slightly more awkward choice than the complete no brainer if sts had won.

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Smith's been told to change his mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24185944

Strange if its just down to on-field stuff that the other three are involved.

:biggrin:

not strange at all. These people will be involved in plenty of on-field decisuons, signings, coaching appointments etc.

#52 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

not strange at all. These people will be involved in plenty of on-field decisuons, signings, coaching appointments etc.

Yes, because of the financial implications.

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

tbh both Leeds and Hudds pose a threat. Part of wants us to shake it up and go for Hudds. If it backfires fine - live with it.

#54 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

tbh both Leeds and Hudds pose a threat. Part of wants us to shake it up and go for Hudds. If it backfires fine - live with it.

Does it really matter, whoever you chose you have to beat and then you have to beat the winner out of the other two.

You have to beat two out of three.

Its a good sideshow though.

#55 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

That's a terrible idea when this is still part of the Super League comp. You may as well not have the 27 rounds.

What you are talking about is a cup comp - the Challenge Cup!

But the play off's are a terrible idea - only done for making money.  The one who wins the league are the champions, but in this way more emphasis seems to be put on the grand final winner, which in my opinion is wrong. 

If they are going to have playoffs, it should really be:

1st v 4th----------

Semi no 1---------------

5th v 8th----------

Final

6th v 7th----------

Semi no 2---------------

2nd v 3rd----------

None of the 2nd chance, club call and other such stuff.

Or, the top 8 names in a hat and draw them out, play the games and then draw the names again etc...

As an example, Leeds lost in 1st playoff, but won in 2nd so go forward.  This shouldn't happen - they lost, therefore they should be out.

#56 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

But the play off's are a terrible idea - only done for making money. The one who wins the league are the champions, but in this way more emphasis seems to be put on the grand final winner, which in my opinion is wrong.

1st v 4th----------

Semi no 1---------------

5th v 8th----------

Final

6th v 7th----------

Semi no 2---------------

2nd v 3rd----------

Or, the top 8 names in a hat and draw them out, play the games and then draw the names again etc...

As an example, Leeds lost in 1st playoff, but won in 2nd so go forward. This shouldn't happen - they lost, therefore they should be out.

Meanwhile the other team who lost first game then won the next its ok for them to advance?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#57 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

Who else reckons its gunna b a Leeds Hudds final ? I cant be the only

one! ;)

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

But the play off's are a terrible idea - only done for making money. The one who wins the league are the champions, but in this way more emphasis seems to be put on the grand final winner, which in my opinion is wrong.

1st v 4th----------

Semi no 1---------------

5th v 8th----------

Final

6th v 7th----------

Semi no 2---------------

2nd v 3rd----------

As an example, Leeds lost in 1st playoff, but won in 2nd so go forward. This shouldn't happen - they lost, therefore they should be out.

so your reward for finishing 1st is playing 4th? Isnt it better to finish 5th then you can play 8th. Have you thought this through?

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

Does it really matter, whoever you chose you have to beat and then you have to beat the winner out of the other two.

You have to beat two out of three.

Its a good sideshow though.

well no it doesnt matter, but we have to pick someone.

#60 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Who else reckons its gunna b a Leeds Hudds final ? I cant be the only

one! ;)

You are not alone ha ha

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users