Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Now or in the finals
HTH.
Or to be serious - it was inevitable.

To be serious, it wasn't.
I enjoyed club call. I think it worked against Wire, as frankly the choice was Hobson's choice for them.
I think they should have chosen Leeds, as they were a class above them only 2 weeks ago, and seem to have a few walking wounded.
2 great games.
Leeds will need to be at their very best to win, with Pat, the Moose and Sam wanting to win their last home game for the club.

#102 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

That's not the decision I would have made but I'm very happy because it sets up some cracking possibilities for the final:

Leeds vs Huddersfield - an all Yorkshire affair with an intense local rivalry (if this forum is anything to go by).

Warrington vs Leeds - a rematch of last year with Wire now having some experience of the big day under their belt.

Wigan vs Warrington - the final which the game has seemingly been crying out for.

Huddersfield vs Wigan - the LLS winners against the CC winners.

All of those combinations have something special about them and I believe that the game will benefit from Warrington's decision even if they don't.

Lots to look forward to!

Edited by MrFussy, 22 September 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#103 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Did they say how they picked it?

They said they decided before this weekend to choose the winner of Hudds/Hull.

So basically, "anybody but Leeds"
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#104 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Have Wigan conceded their game against Huddersfield then?

Since Warrington couldn't choose Wigan their potential presence in the GF is out of their control, so the sensible choice is to take the team you would least like to see at OT that you can pick from. I think they made the wrong choice, Leeds would be easier to beat at the HJ Stadium than OT, one of their favourite hunting grounds.

I just can't see the logic for Warrington choosing Huddersfield, after their performance on Thursday and form over the course of the season. However its certainly the ties the RFL would prefer, as there was a much greater risk of Hudds making the GF going to Wigan and that would be a disaster for GF attendance.

I'm happy from a rugby fan point of view though as we didn't get repeat fixtures.

Edited by giwildgo, 22 September 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#105 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Since Warrington couldn't choose Wigan their potential presence in the GF is out of their control, so the sensible choice is to take the team you would least like to see at OT that you can pick from. I think they made the wrong choice, Leeds would be easier to beat at the HJ Stadium than OT, one of their favourite hunting grounds. I just can't see the logic for Warrington choosing Huddersfield, after their performance on Thursday and form over the course of the season. However its certainly the ties the RFL would prefer, as there was a much greater risk of Hudds making the GF going to Wigan and that would be a disaster for GF attendance. I'm happy from a rugby fan point of view though as we didn't get repeat fixtures.

If Thursdays match was a factor, I think it would be that Hudds have lost to Wigan and then beat an underperforming Hull side, so their recent matches have lacked the intensity of Leeds (away at wigan, loss to wire then close win at Saints).

The benefits could swing either way. Huddersfield players will be fresher but not necessarily have the mindset, whereas Leeds players will be in the right frame of mind but very battered and bruised.

Ultimately, I would have rather Wire picked Leeds as there's a gig in London on Friday night that I wanted to see and now I'm going to miss it.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#106 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yes I'm sure that was reason behind it, hmmm......

And Widnes are playing who next weekend? Widnes are changing their shirt colour next year I believe to primrose and blue......that way they can at least play in the same colours as a team that wins challenge cups and makes the finals play offs/grand final. Or are they just going to mix blue and yellow together to make a green(with envy)shirt? 

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#107 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

What are you bangin on about love?

#108 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

It was the correct choice. If we take the Wigan win at Hudds the other week, why the Hell would we basically hand them, on paper, the easier task while we have to play the side that's made a habit of winning the whole thing.

#109 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Exactly

#110 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

How about Leroy Cudjoe to win with a 90m intercept again

Dear God, no.

Can you imagine Paul Anderson in a Nathan Brown esque mode, jumping up and down on the touchline as Cudjoe went past?

There could well be a bit of damage down the touchline and possibly with the stand foundations.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#111 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Since Warrington couldn't choose Wigan their potential presence in the GF is out of their control, so the sensible choice is to take the team you would least like to see at OT that you can pick from. I think they made the wrong choice, Leeds would be easier to beat at the HJ Stadium than OT, one of their favourite hunting grounds. I just can't see the logic for Warrington choosing Huddersfield, after their performance on Thursday and form over the course of the season. However its certainly the ties the RFL would prefer, as there was a much greater risk of Hudds making the GF going to Wigan and that would be a disaster for GF attendance. I'm happy from a rugby fan point of view though as we didn't get repeat fixtures.

I won't be in the slightest bit worried about the attendance if Huddersfield reach OT. I'm sure many fair weather fans will come out of the woodwork. If OT is below capacity so what. If Huddersfield beat Warrington they and their fans deserve their day out on the big stage.

rldfsignature.jpg

#112 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

It was the correct choice. If we take the Wigan win at Hudds the other week, why the Hell would we basically hand them, on paper, the easier task while we have to play the side that's made a habit of winning the whole thing.

I don't think Huddersfield are the easier task. Of their two performances in the playoffs, I think last Thursday is more indicative of the level of performance of Huddersfield this season. Unless we are expecting rain to influence the tactics in Warrington next Saturday, then the evidence of the week before is fairly irrelevant. Also if Leeds are such a threat to win it (and they are), why not take them at home, after a rest and they did it tough against Saints. Surely the chances are better of beating them at the HJ under those conditions rather than OT, unless of course you're confident you'll win under either scenario.

As a Wigan fan, I'm happier to play Leeds than Huddersfield because of the reasons above - I just don't think we are good enough to beat either when it matters.

#113 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

I won't be in the slightest bit worried about the attendance if Huddersfield reach OT. I'm sure many fair weather fans will come out of the woodwork. If OT is below capacity so what. If Huddersfield beat Warrington they and their fans deserve their day out on the big stage.

Not saying they don't deserve it, but the RFL and Sky would be concerned about the attendance for their showpiece. There is no way that there are enough fair weather fans in Hudds for it not to be an issue in an 77k capacity stadium.

#114 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Yeah because Wembley was deserted when Huddersfield played Wire there, and Twickenham was a ghost town when they played Saints...poor trolling

#115 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Will Huddersfield win again this year?

#116 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not the challenge cup, we didn't get there. I can only assume you weren't watching

#117 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I have heard the Huddersfield sporting public were in Manchester today supporting
Out of Towner's United
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#118 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

There really is some poor trolling on here!!

Giants at OT will be just as good as anyone else, the public of Huddersfield like success and a good win over Warrington would set the town alight!

And as most people on here keep forgetting a lot of tickets for OT and the coming RLWC have been bought by fans outside the north!

So wake up and look outside people.

Giants for OT and Salford for the CC in the next 3 years, Widnes for the playoffs and London and Wakey to drop down a division in 2015 both to come back by 2018 through the new structure having rebuilt

The game is going through a great rotation, no, really, it is!

#119 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yeah because Wembley was deserted when Huddersfield played Wire there, and Twickenham was a ghost town when they played Saints...poor trolling

I've nothing against Huddersfield, but the Challenge Cup has always struck me as having the greater proportion of neutrals than GFs which are dominated more by supporters of the teams in question. For example, I was at both of those Huddersfield CC finals as I make an annual trip to London irrespective of who gets there (as do many). However I would not attend a GF that doesn't involve Wigan and noticed less neutrals when Wigan have been fortunate enough to get there. Just an observation, not trolling, but feel free to go off at the deep end defending any perceived slight or otherwise on your club as you usually do anyway.

Edited by giwildgo, 22 September 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#120 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

So, Wire have to choose one of two teams in the Club Call format when there were good reasons to choose either. Not a big deal. Choosing Hudds was hardly a surprise.

Wire get the advantage of having a bit more time for planning for their game than the other teams because of their record in the league and playoffs and because they knew on Thursday night which side they would choose... fair play to them.

Now for some adjustments to the work schedule to get to Warrington on Thursday night...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users