Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Reg for next season

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

An article in todays League Weekly indicates that there will be no change in regulations for dual registration until the 2015 season.  I hope we don't make the same mistake of relying too heavily on a partner club's players as we did at the start of 2013. 

#2 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

An article in todays League Weekly indicates that there will be no change in regulations for dual registration until the 2015 season. I hope we don't make the same mistake of relying too heavily on a partner club's players as we did at the start of 2013.

. Or field senior players from the partner club as a means of them regaining match fitness

Edited by duffymoon, 16 September 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#3 jaw

jaw
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

An article in todays League Weekly indicates that there will be no change in regulations for dual registration until the 2015 season.  I hope we don't make the same mistake of relying too heavily on a partner club's players as we did at the start of 2013. 

Looks like you'll have to sign at least 7 - 8 players just to field a Swinton 13 then  :tongue:

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Looks like you'll have to sign at least 7 - 8 players just to field a Swinton 13 then :tongue:

Unlike every body else?

#5 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Unlike every body else?

Not everybody Mark ;)

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#6 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Im sure even Barra haven't got a team signed up already morty thats my point
I think we took enough silliness last season so perhaps itd be wise for fans to wait and see.
It is also wise to note that almost to a man Swinton fans were not in favour of the dual registration in the form it took despite many people mistaking a desire to support your club as a negative personality trait and a vote in the affirmative for it continuing .

#7 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well no-one's signed on as far as we know...so we need 13 players to make a Swinton 13.

Watson
Hawkyard
Hawkyard
Nanyn
Harvey
Smith
Cooper
Sarsfield
Morrison
Tahraoui
Barlow
Mills

That would be a good start IMO. I'd also like to keep I'Anson and Ainscough, seeing as nothing official has been announced, as of yet, regarding their futures.

#8 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'd love to see some stats on dual reg for the whole of our league, i.e. how many players used, how many appearances by each, tries etc, coz I'm sick of the sniping at our club. Just for example, I like York, but on their forum their fans have slagged other clubs off for taking the mickey out of DR, then without any irony blamed Hull FC for not giving them enough help to avoid relegation!

#9 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'd love to see some stats on dual reg for the whole of our league, i.e. how many players used, how many appearances by each, tries etc, coz I'm sick of the sniping at our club. Just for example, I like York, but on their forum their fans have slagged other clubs off for taking the mickey out of DR, then without any irony blamed Hull FC for not giving them enough help to avoid relegation!

we used it 34 times at haven over the season marra a couple here a couple there quite a few times we never used any but theres no doubt the saints boys like swift,hand,greenwood,walker and clough helped us out big time as for york when we played them first game of the season they had lineham and crooks playing first teamers now 

#10 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Town used 10 dual registered players - Declan Hulme 14 games; Paddy Flynn 10 games; Adam Lawton 5 games; Danny Craven 4 games; Grant Gore 2 games; Ben Davies 1 game; Ben Kavanagh 1 game; Dave Allen 1 game; M Leuluai 1 game, and Shuan Briscoe 1 game. Total of 40 appearances out of a team total of 510 (30 games x 17 players) over the season or 7.8%.

Shuan Briscoe, who announced his retirement today played 1 game uner DR then signed for Town for the rest of the season.

Edited by Keith T, 17 September 2013 - 06:50 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Town used 10 dual registered players - Declan Hulme 14 games; Paddy Flynn 10 games; Adam Lawton 5 games; Danny Craven 4 games; Grant Gore 2 games; Ben Davies 1 game; Ben Kavanagh 1 game; Dave Allen 1 game; M Leuluai 1 game, and Shuan Briscoe 1 game. Total of 40 appearances out of a team total of 510 (30 games x 17 players) over the season or 7.8%.

Shuan Briscoe, who announced his retirement today played 1 game uner DR then signed for Town for the rest of the season.

You've got too much spare time Keith
However very interesting stats

#12 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

A certain young man called lineham scoring a hat trick against us!

#13 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Im sure even Barra haven't got a team signed up already morty thats my point

Ahh ok sorry Mark took it to mean Linked up teams may not need to sign a full squad of say 24/25 like we did last year without linking ?

Rumours abound here that a certain Cumbrian coach who is linked to yourselves and Wire has applied for our vacant head coach position !!

Lee Morton

#14 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Id just like a season where the main talking point is the actual rugby being played

I doubt gary would be allowed to leave after all he is part of tony smiths master plan for rugby league domination and the destruction of swinton lions as we know it.

Those who think otherwise are of course misguided and/ or naive. ....

#15 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

lol

Lets wait and see mate eh ?

Lee

Lee Morton

#16 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Sounds like a plan. ...maybe a policy the more pessimistic could experiment with

#17 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

A certain young man called lineham scoring a hat trick against us!

A few facts:

Tom Lineham did not score 3 tries against you lot - he got 2 & another 2 in the away

game at Whitehaven in the only 2 games he played for us.

Ben Crooks never played a single game for us.

We did not have any dual-reg players whatsoever for the last 9 league games

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

A few facts:

Tom Lineham did not score 3 tries against you lot - he got 2 & another 2 in the away
game at Whitehaven in the only 2 games he played for us.
Ben Crooks never played a single game for us.

We did not have any dual-reg players whatsoever for the last 9 league games

Morley and Briers played 1 game each for us and we got crucified. ...even by York fans

#19 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Lets face facts here, I'm not 'in the know' in regard to Swinton's finances, but I'd say there was a real possibility that without the link-up with Warrington they would have been in a terminal position. The BOD of Swinton were therefore faced with the decision of allowing the club to die or finding a way of sustaining the club until they can somehow push plans through for relocation to Swinton. They're not in a fortunate position like York, who were provided with a new ground by the council in 1989 and are set to move into another brand spanking council development in the very near future - will presumably revitalise them to an extent. I'm not in favour of the likes of Briers, Morley etc making 'guest' appearances, but I have a feeling that Swinton's hands were loosely tied in that respect. If working alongside Warrington for a few years allows the club to survive to a position where they can become self-sustainable, then I can't blame those in charge whatsoever. I remember reading posts at the start of the season on the York forum that were purring over the fact that various first-team squad 'stars' from Hull would be available to them over the season. It didn't work out for York, but it did for Swinton. This current sniping is utterly hypocritical.

Edited by TheTerminator, 18 September 2013 - 09:30 AM.

Posted Image

#20 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

The players on the list supposedly available to us was impressive, but for various reasons

we never got the quality we needed, mainly because of Hull naming those lads in their Friday

night 19 who therefore could not get to training with us

But lets keep it simple - the bigger picture - if every club stuck to what most people thought were the original

rules - roughly a maximum of 4 dual reg players in the lower clubs 17 from a previously agreed list then most

fans on here would be more than happy & there would not be any sniping - end of story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users