Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakey Trinity - bright new future

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

The most chilling paragraph in the entire thread.

The model above seems to be the one he still uses - but unfortunately - at a higher level. Sponsors walking away is particularly alarming and he appears to have repeated that feat again.

I sat at Wembley watching him wobble about, full of self importance and boiling with anger as to how he got where he is now (disasterously) residing. Its called waiting for the better man to move on.

Not wishing to hijack the OP - I wish Wakefield well and have no snide comments to make.

Above that - I have a real concern for the Game overall while it is mis-managed and under sold by the current regime - we are run by a bloke who cannot even be bothered to improve himself, his presentation technique or any other missing attribute. :ireful:

agree 100% with everything you have posted, i have always had a soft spot for halifax, and wood destroyed the club........now he is on course to do the same to the game as a whole. rome burns whilst nero fiddles.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#42 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

The approach by the board is specifically to prevent Wakey going into administration.

Didn't we hear all of this 2 years ago?

How do you stave off administration next season when even fewer people pay to watch you because your team is even worse than it is now?

This is only going 1 way and you know it. You are King Canute demanding that the waves of modern life retreat.

#43 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

I was once berated by a certain female on this forum for having a joke about Kath Hetherington's femininity.

Seems I may not have been too wide of the mark.

http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2fDkb7X00

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#44 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yet again for Super League it is 1 step forward (Salford - main beneficiaries and obviously now worthy of attention) and 2 steps back.

The smart money says that both Wakey and Cas will enter administration next season. And there will be no Koukash saviour for these small historic clubs in a saturated market with zero commercial or wider appeal.

The smart money will be on Wakefield being written off, yet again, but probably doing the double over Salford.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Didn't we hear all of this 2 years ago?

How do you stave off administration next season when even fewer people pay to watch you because your team is even worse than it is now?

This is only going 1 way and you know it.

Aw calm down. The club is stuck in a limbo between the Ted Richardson administration and the opportunities afforded by the opening of Newmarket. The time for people to invest in the club is when Newmarket opens, in the meantime it's just about staying alive so I suggest your projection of down down down is unfair, unless you know that Newmarket will never happen?

If there was one thing to hang onto whilst the club get to Newmarket it may be the junior talent coming through...Oh hang on!

#46 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

All very well if the solvency of a company were the only factor here. But it is not. Super League is in the entertainment industry and an already mediocre side just became a complete no hoper.

At Castleford it is a similar story. Talisman Chase out, Super League cast-offs Wheeldon and Seymour in. Just watch those season tickets fly out of the door and hear Sky's phone blaring to book in those Cas games for the prime time Friday night slots.

Yet again for Super League it is 1 step forward (Salford - main beneficiaries and obviously now worthy of attention) and 2 steps back.

The smart money says that both Wakey and Cas will enter administration next season. And there will be no Koukash saviour for these small historic clubs in a saturated market with zero commercial or wider appeal.

An obvious solution presents itself but won't materialise (yet) because the administrators and consumers of British rugby league are cowards and/or babies. Good luck to those Wakey fans for the next few years of hidings and digging deep into your pockets out of the stubborn, misguided belief that you deserve your stand-alone side and that they can be in any way successful again. You deserve nothing more. (By the way, a merged Calder side is eventually inevitable).

Well I agree the immediate future doesn't look good, but two men have put homes up so can go with our good wishes.Wakefield really do have the potential to be a big club.

10K fans shouldn't be enough for an elite British rugby league comp. It should be a bare minimum.

20K should be nearer the mark. 

There are FL Championship clubs and I think FA Prem clubs only getting 20k

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

In the last round of the FL Championship, according to a Football thread on another forum, there were three matches that drew less than 10,000 spectators.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Well I agree the immediate future doesn't look good, but two men have put homes up so can go with our good wishes.Wakefield really do have the potential to be a big club.

http://www.football-...4~179567,00.pdf

Considering soccer is massive compared to RL our Superleague attendances hold up very well indeed against the Championship.

#49 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

I was once berated by a certain female on this forum for having a joke about Kath Hetherington's femininity.

Seems I may not have been too wide of the mark.

http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2fDkb7X00

That's Mick Cassidy isn't it?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 18 September 2013 - 07:13 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#50 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Considering soccer is massive compared to RL our Superleague attendances hold up very well indeed against the Championship.

Just looking at the Cardiff average of around 23,000 for the beginning of this season just reinforces how success drives attendance plus improved facilities too but mainly success.:

In 2000 and 2001 Cardiff averaged over 6000 and 7000 respectively.   Now they fill their new stadium of around 23000 capacity, hence with the money from arriving into the Premier League are expanding the stadium to 38000 over next few years.   Same for Swansea.

One of the reasons that club rugby union in Wales is worried that the success of football with Cardiff and Swansea is attracting youngsters to football away from rugby union.

#51 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Rugby needed a Messiah back in the 90s to rescue it from the Wigan grip.Step forward Sky TV and Maurice with the master plan for mergers etc. This in particular mergers was roundly denounced as impossible heresy.

But in my humble opinion the only salvation for the likes of Trinity and classy Cas (and maybe Featherstone too) is the said merger playing out of a newStadium.

their pursuit of individual success is in my opinion doomed to failure relative to superleague.

The RFL must back London with cash and persuade Clubs with superleague pretensions to talk to their neighbours in a meaningfull way or be denied any opportunity to be promoted yo superleague.

#52 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yes they do that's why I was surprised at someone saying nothing lower than 20K should be acceptable for SL clubs
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#53 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Yes they do that's why I was surprised at someone saying nothing lower than 20K should be acceptable for SL clubs

Quite right.
Only two clubs have a chance of getting anywhere near that figure 'leeds and wigan', and imo they are miles off.

A few years ago I thought warrington were going to be the top supported club around but unfortunately they seem to have peaked.

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

It was a collective non-feeding of the you know what policy.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

But in my humble opinion the only salvation for the likes of Trinity and classy Cas (and maybe Featherstone too) is the said merger playing out of a newStadium.

their pursuit of individual success is in my opinion doomed to failure relative to superleague.

The RFL must back London with cash and persuade Clubs with superleague pretensions to talk to their neighbours in a meaningfull way or be denied any opportunity to be promoted yo superleague.

Your quite late (but quite welcome) to the debate.

Last year Wakefield were a top 8 club with a top 8 average attendance and put nearly 10,000 fans into Bell Vue for the league game with Cas. Imagine what a top four team in a modern venue could pull??

The club simply lack investment, and in my opinion don't need a radical plan to please everyone which could easily backfire and please no-one. That nobody is investing in them at the moment may be that it's not the right time, they become infinately more viable once the new stadium becomes a reality?

#56 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Last year Wakefield were a top 8 club with a top 8 average attendance and put nearly 10,000 fans into Bell Vue for the league game with Cas. Imagine what a top four team in a modern venue could pull??

Is a modern venue the key factor? People point to the increased crowds of Warrington and Hull after their moves to a new stadium. But the crucial thing from my perspective is that they are in an accessible part of the town with plenty of access options. I'm not convinced that new stadiums that are situated 'conveniently' off motorway junctions are necessarily an attractive proposition to visit.

It's a shame that Belle Vue and Wheldon Road can't be gradually improved over time to modernise the facilities. I'm a sucker for historic grounds as opposed to new builds (especially Cas).

#57 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

mr  parksider the only time wakefield were succesful was in the 50s and 60s whe I think I am correct a local builder the late mr R Fell put cash in. You may recall big signings then  D Turner D Vines certain South Africans  and a very good coach in Ken Traill.

It seems to have been all downhill since then.

But Iwish them success despite the problems they have.

#58 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

The question still remains about Wakefield even getting a new ground. I genuinely hope they do but we've been promised that since before Wakey joined Super League

But if the current board are "treading water" till then, all that's going to happen is more of the same - and IF Newmarket happens, there is absolutely no certainty it will have the desired effect

#59 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

The question still remains about Wakefield even getting a new ground. I genuinely hope they do but we've been promised that since before Wakey joined Super League

But if the current board are "treading water" till then, all that's going to happen is more of the same - and IF Newmarket happens, there is absolutely no certainty it will have the desired effect

The thing with the new stadium is its driven from outside of the club therefore outside of its influence. A private developer is pushing this through and Trinity will be the beneficiaries. Next week a large cold storage facility is facing the planners and this will  open up the site in terms of finance and access.

https://planning.wak...l=MPCVJBQQ04200

Should this go through then a large proportion of the enabling development will be achieved which will in turn trigger the funding for the stadium, Hopefully Trinity will still be in SL to make full  use of the facility. Over 10K watched Trinity V Leeds at Belle Vue in July, the potential is there, it needs a decent side to entice it. The stadium should make them are more attractive proposition, it’s just a shame the location is not closer into the city.

#60 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

That's exactly the problem - it's outside the clubs influence. There's no promise it will happen, and if it does Trin will truly benefit from it

I genuinely want it to come up roses but if the board don't have a contingency in place then it's tough times for Trin.

Can they hold on long enough is the question