Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakey Trinity - bright new future

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

That's exactly the problem - it's outside the clubs influence. There's no promise it will happen, and if it does Trin will truly benefit from it
I genuinely want it to come up roses but if the board don't have a contingency in place then it's tough times for Trin.
Can they hold on long enough is the question

The strategy of the new board to not spend what they haven't got is their 'contingency' plan. So rather than spend now on the promise of riches to come, they are taking a much less risky approach by ensuring the club lives within its means in the next few years.

At the open meeting the room was split about 50/50 on whether people would prefer the club to move to Newmarket or redevelop Belle Vue. A lot of people weren't bothered one way or the other. They just want a decent stadium.

What people did recognise was that Newmarket provides the club with opportunities for much increased income on non match day, which a redeveloped Belle Vue doesn't. Most people recognise that increasing revenue streams is key to the growth of a club like Wakey.

#62 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

In the next few days a planning application for the first but absolutely ginormous refrigeration warehouse on Newmarket will go before the WMDC Planning dept. The warehouse has a cost of over £42Million and this alone will go a long way toward providing the finances for the stadium. Not only that but vital other works will be provided and installed, such as, the main road in and out of Newmarket, the changes made to existing junctions, the building of a major new junction, gas, Electric, water and drainage for the whole site amongst many other things.

This is the biggest step forward since the Public Inquiry rubber stamped the development and paves the way, literally, for the stadium and related sports facilities.

#63 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

The question still remains about Wakefield even getting a new ground. I genuinely hope they do but we've been promised that since before Wakey joined Super League

But if the current board are "treading water" till then, all that's going to happen is more of the same - and IF Newmarket happens, there is absolutely no certainty it will have the desired effect

That's spot on imo.

You only need to look at Salford to see what a new ground but no playing success brings in terms of extra support. Even a relatively successful club like Huddersfield, are struggling to get their 'top of the range' ground much over a quarter full. It just shows there are no guarantees and speculating doesn't always mean accumulating.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#64 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

That's spot on imo.

You only need to look at Salford to see what a new ground but no playing success brings in terms of extra support. Even a relatively successful club like Huddersfield, are struggling to get their 'top of the range' ground much over a quarter full. It just shows there are no guarantees and speculating doesn't always mean accumulating.

Not sure either of those is a particularly good example. Salford were a shockingly badly run club and limped into their new stadium. Huddersfield's business model is based on Ken Davy putting in £2m per year & their ground is too big.

IF Wakey gets expenditure under control and if Wakey move to Newmarket in a sensibly planned way, then there is no reason it should not be the catalyst for further growth.

Of course they could cock it up, but we'll just have to wait and see on that one. I've more confidence in their current plan, than in some of the others I've heard from Wakey in the past.

#65 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Giants have lost generations of support, which is why it's taking time to build the support, so at least try to take you chip off your shoulder when you comment on other clubs

You say Salford were on a dire run then limped into their new stadium? Exactly how are they different from Wakey, or Cas?

Apart from the fact their stadium exists? And not hugely to their benefit either it seems.

Wakey seem to be pinning a lot on a ground that isn't built yet

#66 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

mr  parksider the only time wakefield were succesful was in the 50s and 60s whe I think I am correct a local builder the late mr R Fell put cash in. You may recall big signings then  D Turner D Vines certain South Africans  and a very good coach in Ken Traill.

It seems to have been all downhill since then.

But Iwish them success despite the problems they have.

All the top clubs in SL have a "Mr. Fell" driving them on.

The advantages Wakefield have are being able to get an 8,000 average crowd sneaking into the top 8, being able to get 10K crowds against Leeds and Cas despite a poor ground and average team, sitting on an area with a lot of junior RL, having a successful academy side, in which if they can get an investor and impetus top kids may decide to stay in the area with Trinity.

If Newmarket comes along too there surely isn't another club going that could touch Wakefield for the potential to be a top four club. They would be the most attractive club going for any investor. As for the grounds location it's on a main road heading out of town to a main motorway, bit like HJ?? How close to town is the JJB?? I'm not sure about this "walk up crowd" thing. Everyone at Belle Vue I walk up the Donny Road with from Thornes Lane seem to have got off cars and buses....

#67 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

I think in this case we need to learn from our mistakes. We let Oldham go to the dogs, and whilst it still has a good amateur base how long will this last without a top team to get the kid into rugby league.

We cannot let top level rugby die in this area, the long term consequences to the grassroots would be detrimental to the sport overall.

#68 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Not sure either of those is a particularly good example. Salford were a shockingly badly run club and limped into their new stadium. Huddersfield's business model is based on Ken Davy putting in £2m per year & their ground is too big.

IF Wakey gets expenditure under control and if Wakey move to Newmarket in a sensibly planned way, then there is no reason it should not be the catalyst for further growth.

Of course they could cock it up, but we'll just have to wait and see on that one. I've more confidence in their current plan, than in some of the others I've heard from Wakey in the past.

That's all fair comment mate, though, unlike a lot of folk, I've never felt a new ground is certain to provide anything, other than keeping the majority a bit dryer than they were. Whilst I take your point that it certainly could be a catalyst for future investment  there's certainly no guarantee of it, or even of bigger crowds and it may be that better uses could be found for the money.

Whatever the outcome though, I wish Wakey nothing but the best of luck with it.

#69 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

That's all fair comment mate, though, unlike a lot of folk, I've never felt a new ground is certain to provide anything, other than keeping the majority a bit dryer than they were. Whilst I take your point that it certainly could be a catalyst for future investment  there's certainly no guarantee of it, or even of bigger crowds and it may be that better uses could be found for the money.

Whatever the outcome though, I wish Wakey nothing but the best of luck with it.

I agree a ground isn't a panacea for all ills but it's a good start. Who has the more potential.? Oldham at Whitebank or Doncaster at Keepmoat or Leigh at the Sports Village.

#70 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Castleford were quite clear that their ricketty old ground was a financial millstone as it wasn't fit to generate the sort of sums that a well planned modern stadium could provide in terms of good financial returns on facilities, inc. seating, corporate facilities, bars, food,events etc etc.

Belle Vue is on a bit of a par with the Jungle so I assume the same applies..........

#71 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Castleford were quite clear that their ricketty old ground was a financial millstone as it wasn't fit to generate the sort of sums that a well planned modern stadium could provide in terms of good financial returns on facilities, inc. seating, corporate facilities, bars, food,events etc etc.

Belle Vue is on a bit of a par with the Jungle so I assume the same applies..........

I get your point Parksider but n terms of commercial revenue, hospitality and bars Belle Vue slays Wheldon Rd.
What kills Wakefield is the fact that they pay £125k per year in rent to BOI

#72 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Giants have lost generations of support, which is why it's taking time to build the support, so at least try to take you chip off your shoulder when you comment on other clubs

You say Salford were on a dire run then limped into their new stadium? Exactly how are they different from Wakey, or Cas?

Apart from the fact their stadium exists? And not hugely to their benefit either it seems.

Wakey seem to be pinning a lot on a ground that isn't built yet

I am 46 years old and I can't remember Huddersfield EVER being a well supported club.

Wakey and Cas both have solid fan bases. On relatively minimal incomes, Cas have avoided going any where near admin.

Not sure Wakey are relying on Newmarket, but I am sure it is an integral and essential part of the future plans for success.

As a Wakey fan of a certain age, I have watched to guff...but whatever funds Koucash or Davey have, they would kill for an ingrained and loyal support base like that of Wakey or Cas.

Can you imagine Wakey or Cas with the money being chucked at Reds or Giants?

Cas had bigger crowds than SL Reds, when they were last relegated!

Edited by S72 Cat, 20 September 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#73 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

I get your point Parksider but n terms of commercial revenue, hospitality and bars Belle Vue slays Wheldon Rd.
What kills Wakefield is the fact that they pay £125k per year in rent to BOI

That sounds pretty cheap

#74 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,566 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

I am 46 years old and I can't remember Huddersfield EVER being a well supported club.

Wakey and Cas both have solid fan bases. On relatively minimal incomes, Cas have avoided going any where near admin.

Not sure Wakey are relying on Newmarket, but I am sure it is an integral and essential part of the future plans for success.

As a Wakey fan of a certain age, I have watched to guff...but whatever funds Koucash or Davey have, they would kill for an ingrained and loyal support base like that of Wakey or Cas.

Can you imagine Wakey or Cas with the money being chucked at Reds or Giants?

Cas had bigger crowds than SL Reds, when they were last relegated!

Well a person of 46 won't remember Huddersfield looking like winning anything.In the 50s and 60s they were quite well supported.However in that era most clubs were
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#75 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

That sounds pretty cheap

Not when the upkeep of the ground also falls on Wakefield to pay.

#76 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Two SL clubs have made offers to Agar?

:blink:

How would you feel if one of them was Hull....?

#77 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

And this post alone tells anybody all they need to know about your knowledge of the game

Go for it KT....!! That fella seems a bit upset about something.....

My current wife gets a bit like that when I ask for a breakdown of what she has spent the housekeeping money on...

#78 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

I was once berated by a certain female on this forum for having a joke about Kath Hetherington's femininity.

Seems I may not have been too wide of the mark.
]

That's cruel and inappropriate .... Seriously though, I have it on very good authority that she keeps her hair a bit longer than Gary as its the only way that friends & family can tell them apart.....

#79 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

I think in this case we need to learn from our mistakes. We let Oldham go to the dogs, and whilst it still has a good amateur base how long will this last without a top team to get the kid into rugby league.

We cannot let top level rugby die in this area, the long term consequences to the grassroots would be detrimental to the sport overall.

You must be talking about London Broncos.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#80 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't disagree that there is an opportunity, just that the 'one size fits all' philosophy isn’t always automatically the best option. I think the way ahead is more nuanced than that, with more factors than just the ground involved.

The Salford situation gives the lie to it only being the ground to blame for ‘poor’ attendances and it clearly involves location, ease of access and I’d say principally, how the side is performing as well. I think Huddersfield, with another shiny new ground, also have to come into the ‘was it worth it’ category.

On the opposite side of the coin, when the Bulls were in their ‘pomp’, even on a ground which offered three sides of uncovered standing areas didn’t prevent average crowds of over 15K and top rank sponsors like Compaq being involved. Same could have been said about Saints, though they have now gone down the new ground route.

Again, I’m not saying it isn’t a good idea to do it, just that in some cases there might be better areas to spend the money on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users