Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

19/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more (9 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

2. Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Hull FC by 1 to 6 points (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

5. Hull FC by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

6. Hull FC by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Discuss the Super League Preliminary Semi-Final between Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Ferres wants Giants to step up to the plate

By Joe Smith

Huddersfield second row Brett Ferres wants his team-mates to prove that the Giants can compete alongside the sport’s elite ahead of Thursday’s preliminary play-off semi-final against Hull FC at The John Smith’s Stadium (8.00pm).
Wigan Warriors defeated the Giants last week in the opening game of the play-offs, forcing Huddersfield to take the long route if they are to reach the Super League Grand Final – something that Ferres, who was last week named in the 2013 Dream Team, believes his side is ready to achieve.
“We’re probably not tipped as heavily as Warrington, Leeds or Wigan, but we’re looking to mix it with the big boys this year and it would be nice to finish it off,” said Ferres.
“The play-offs are a different type of rugby, it is knock-out football and there are some big teams in there who are ready for it. We’re just looking forward to it.
“Personally it’s been the best year of my career so far with winning the League Leaders’ Shield and getting a call up for England  but the season’s not over yet and as a club we’re all looking at getting to the Grand Final.”
After claiming a first League Leaders’ Shield in 81 years, Ferres believes that the Giants can use their league success as motivation to grasp their second chance in the play-offs.
“This is knock-out rugby and we want to put in a really good performance to show our improvements on the field,” he said.
“We wanted to finish as high up in the league as we could and we pretty much nailed the top spot, so we’re coming into the play-offs in a really good position but Thursday is going to be one of the biggest games of the season.
“We know we have to beat three or four teams in the top eight to qualify for the Grand Final and that’s certainly not an easy task but it’s all about us now.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 7723

• Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

I think Hull might sneak this one.

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

I think the Giants will win this. Their usual level of performance is higher than FC's, though FC on their day can reach higher heights.

#5 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Every loss the Giants have suffered this year has been following a poor performance like last Thursdays, they have then gone on to lift themselves and be pretty convincing in their next few games

Losing to Wigan may just have been the kick up the pants the Giants needed - giants back on form and to win this one by a couple of scores

Unless it rains.

#6 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm going to side with Hull (ps it may rain on Thursday).

Whilst the Hull attack seems to have gone walkabout.  The Hull Defense has been pretty determined.

I doubt there will be much in it, but Huddersfield to get the wobbles and Hull to pull through.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#7 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I also think Hull will win, I'm not entirely sure why but I just get the feeling that they will.  

Perhaps Hudds are emotionally exhausted after their excellent achievement in winning the LLS?

#8 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

It's always hardest to get that monkey off your back.  Until you actually do it, no one believes.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#9 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Taking the whole season as evidence, Hudds will be clear favourites here.

However, looking at the knock out football already played this season, (Wembley debacle to one side) Hull might be considered to have at least a reasonable chance.

Can't say this is an easy one to tip although the bookies seem to disagree, with Hull almost 3/1 off scratch and a 10 point start on the handicap.

We seem to be missing the Crooks/Lineham partnership too much at the mo and therefore think the home side will just have the edge during the game, perhaps scoring a late try to make it look a bit more comfortable

Hudds 26 Hull 12.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#10 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Must admit I fear the Gnats are going to get to OT.For the sake of the game and attendance I hope they don't. I'll go with my heart again and plump for Hull by 4.
I wonder if Mr Davy has ever considered relocating to a city with real RL potential like Wakefield or maybe even Halifax?just a thought
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#11 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hull by 12

#12 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I was impressed with Huddersfield when they played us at the KC and yesterday would have said the Giants to sneak it without both of our "best" props. That said Lynch has just been named in the squad so that gives me a little hope along with the fact we seem to be able to hold on in knock out football. Going to sit on the fence but should actually be a pretty good game I think.

#13 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Must admit I fear the Gnats are going to get to OT.For the sake of the game and attendance I hope they don't. I'll go with my heart again and plump for Hull by 4.
I wonder if Mr Davy has ever considered relocating to a city with real RL potential like Wakefield or maybe even Halifax?just a thought

My only thought is, you're either a troll or a asshat.

#14 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think he is probably both mate.

Giants by 15 wet weather or not, Gareth Ellis is a great player but he is carrying that squad as per last match, something not right at Hull for me, they should be storming in to the play offs as its a new comp but they look knackered half the time and their defence must take it out of them as well

Giants had a week off (Bradford) underdone the following week (Wigan) different team this week

#15 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

My only thought is, you're either a troll or a asshat.

Only replying to your trolls .the real truth hurts doesn't it because your're hits on Leeds are no wearing thin
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Is there any need?  :rolleyes:

If you're gonna try to wind someone up, do it with a bit of humour and class else you're just gonna get everybody else's backs up.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#17 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Giants to pick from a full squad again

I can see Ta'ai being brought back in to this game after missing last week due to a bust lip

Giants have had an extra days rest, and much more potential to improve their form, and I HOPE Hulls defence will be tested more than it was by the Dragons

#18 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Every loss the Giants have suffered this year has been following a poor performance like last Thursdays, they have then gone on to lift themselves and be pretty convincing in their next few games

Losing to Wigan may just have been the kick up the pants the Giants needed - giants back on form and to win this one by a couple of scores

Unless it rains.

I think a little bit of complacency crept in over the past fortnight.   The reaction from across the RL world to the defeat last week should give Balloo plenty of motivational material.     He's made a real point of defining the season against the nay-sayers and doubters, and I'm sure he'll use it again this week.

I hope it doesn't rain, but since both sides are poor in the rain I don't think it will favour one side or the other IMO.

That's me.  I'm done.

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Taking the whole season as evidence, Hudds will be clear favourites here.

However, looking at the knock out football already played this season, (Wembley debacle to one side) Hull might be considered to have at least a reasonable chance.

Can't say this is an easy one to tip although the bookies seem to disagree, with Hull almost 3/1 off scratch and a 10 point start on the handicap.

We seem to be missing the Crooks/Lineham partnership too much at the mo and therefore think the home side will just have the edge during the game, perhaps scoring a late try to make it look a bit more comfortable

Hudds 26 Hull 12.

I'll go along with this assessment.  Huddersfield should win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hull did.

If the rain holds off, it should be a good 'un.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Only replying to your trolls .the real truth hurts doesn't it because your're hits on Leeds are no wearing thin

Your not you're? Now or not? I'm confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users