Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

19/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more (9 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

2. Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Hull FC by 1 to 6 points (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

5. Hull FC by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

6. Hull FC by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Surprised so many tipping Hull to be honest, I think the Giants might win big tonight. Hope it's a close one and it may well be, but I think Giants will step it up.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#42 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

It's playoff footie so anything can happen, but if it follows form from this season then the Giants will kick into gear and win this one

Mainly because we just won't play as badly as we did against Wigan (I hope!)

#43 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Surprised so many tipping Hull to be honest, I think the Giants might win big tonight. Hope it's a close one and it may well be, but I think Giants will step it up.

I must admit so am I. The records of the two teams over the course of the season make Huddersfield the clear favourites and they are the only team to have beaten Hull home and away this season. They really seem to have had the measure of us over the last few seasons, apart from the drubbing in last season's play offs.

For all that, as things stand this morning they're no nearer to Old Trafford than we are and all the pressure is on them. Here's hoping we can make it an uncomfortable evening for them.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#44 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hull FC’s Ellis wants more fighting spirit

By Joe Smith

Hull FC captain Gareth Ellis wants his side to show more fighting spirit as they prepare to take on Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium on Thursday in the first of this weekend’s preliminary play-offs (8.00pm).
Ellis admits his side have endured some patchy form at times during the 2013 season but he believes that as long as Hull play with the correct character in Thursday’s crucial encounter they can enjoy further success in the play-offs.
“The key for us, when we play well, is that we have a real fighting spirit and that willingness to work really hard for each other,” said Ellis.
“Obviously that now has to continue going into the next round against Huddersfield.
“We’ve played in patches of form this year. We’ve had spells of brilliance and spells of the opposite but hopefully now is the time for a spell of that good form.”
After reaching the Tetley’s Challenge Cup final, Ellis thinks that his side can call upon their knockout Rugby League experience to help them reach a first Grand Final since 2006.
“Getting to Old Trafford is what it’s all about now. It’s a bit like a mini Challenge Cup now, with us having knockout rugby from now on,” he said.
“We just need to keep showing that fighting spirit and desire, and hopefully we can get on the good end of some positive results.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#45 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

People see Huddersfield lose and think "wobble has started" still

Hell some people would say it if we had Leeds record in grand finals but hey.

It's all about perception - people think Hull should be higher in the league than they are because it's Hull, big club, big city, big fan base - well below par performances

Then they look at Huddersfield and think the opposite.

/paranoid mode on
It's almost like people are personally insulted that Huddersfield might actually be a good team
/paranoid mode off

#46 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Well the bookies are backing the Giants to win
If you fancy Hull Are at 3/1, Giants 1/3

#47 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

The Giants weren't far off last week, they just played a team playing better. I think they'd win if both teams play as well as they did last week. The concern I would have as a Giants fan is that when FC click, particularly in defence, they are absolutely superb. Even at Wembley, they kept us down to 2 tries. They can beat anyone on their day. FC have really missed Lineham and a fully fit Crooks, as they were good for a try or 2 a game, which would be pretty much all they need when they are in the zone. Should be an excellent match.

#48 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

People see Huddersfield lose and think "wobble has started" still

Hell some people would say it if we had Leeds record in grand finals but hey.

It's all about perception - people think Hull should be higher in the league than they are because it's Hull, big club, big city, big fan base - well below par performances

Then they look at Huddersfield and think the opposite.

/paranoid mode on
It's almost like people are personally insulted that Huddersfield might actually be a good team
/paranoid mode off

I don't think it's anything to do with perception of Hull being a big club neccesarily, it's judged - mainly - on the recent past in similar games - specifically the playoffs. It's the same reason people think Leeds might do well based on their recent playoff history regardless of where they finish in the league or any situations at their club.

I think any club who get to the top of the game who haven't been there in the past 5 years, people are automatically skeptical of because they are yet to prove themselves - it's nothing against Huddersfield (in general I think you're a very reasonable poster, but some of you're recent musings occasionally tread tin foil hat territory), it's part of sport - or at least RL.

And guess what, lots of Leeds fans think they don't enough credit*/Warrington fans think they don't get enough credit/Saints/Wigan/Every team that has won a game of RL since the dawn of the game. At the end of the day, there is only one thing that will stop the doubters and that's winning the GF. I don't say that out of any malace, I say that as cold hard fact from a fan who's seen his team do it - and face similar accusations until they actually won a final - and come all the way back down. Chill out a bit, because believe me your day will come.

*(incidentally you're comparison with Leeds's final record is interesting, because after last year there were still some Leeds fans going on about them not getting their dues!)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 19 September 2013 - 10:53 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#49 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Totally fair post.

One thing that cannot be denied is Leeds recent record in the playoffs lol

(Incidentally, a star that amuses me is Championships won - Leeds 9, Giants 7 - and we've had 40 years off;) utterly meaningless but makes me chuckle )

As EW posted the Giants were close last week, but well undercooked, Baloo has commented this week the out last high tempo game was Wigan away, since then it's been low key stuff - we put 40-0 on Wakey with a not much better performance than against Wigan for example.

Yes Hulls defence is mighty impressive when it clicks - but so is the Giants, and our attack is better when it kicks in too (which last week it very much didn't)

Sure look at previous playoffs, but as they've been doing all year the 2013 Giants are trying to write a new history.

#50 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

It could all depend on how Huddersfield recover from last weeks match.
It was one of the most intense matches of the season and they faced a Wigan squad with 6 props in the game. That had a massive effect on the Giants.
Crabtree went off after 16 minutes and looked absolutely shattered. He was off for a very long period.
That was after on 12 mins he fell off a tackle on Flower and looked tired then.
Lunt was off for a very long priod as well. Were they not fully fit to start with, did they get injured? Usually both play long minutes and are quality players.
If they are ok then Hudds will win by a reasonable margin, if not and Hull raise their intensity then it could go Hull's way.

#51 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

The Giants weren't far off last week, they just played a team playing better. I think they'd win if both teams play as well as they did last week. The concern I would have as a Giants fan is that when FC click, particularly in defence, they are absolutely superb. Even at Wembley, they kept us down to 2 tries. They can beat anyone on their day. FC have really missed Lineham and a fully fit Crooks, as they were good for a try or 2 a game, which would be pretty much all they need when they are in the zone. Should be an excellent match.

And therein lies our biggest problem for the game tonight. We have the defence to keep us in the game but I think we're missing too many strike players to win it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

I don't think Hudds will have too much of an issue stepping up after a defeat, Warrington did it last year, and the year before after battering Hudds in Rd 1 we lost to Leeds.

Similarly last year Wigan romped the first round and lost the semi.

It's all open at the moment, I don't think last week is too much of an indicator tbh.

That said, whilst Hudds should be able to step up, Hull's defence can be very good when they get it right, and I think that is the main reason why people think they can do something. They frustrated Warrington in the Cup semi, kept Wigan at bay for long periods of the Cup Final and defended very well against Catalan last week.

Whether they can score enough points to take Hudds down, I'm not so sure, so my vote goes to Hudds.

#53 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

A lots been said about Hulls win in the cup semi, but I thought they were lucky to come up against a Wire side that were well below their best

Either way I'm hoping Cup Final Hull turn up ;)

#54 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

It was one of the most intense matches of the season and they faced a Wigan squad with 6 props in the game. That had a massive effect on the Giants.
Crabtree went off after 16 minutes and looked absolutely shattered. He was off for a very long period.
Lunt was off for a very long priod as well. Were they not fully fit to start with, did they get injured? Usually both play long minutes and are quality players.
If they are ok then Hudds will win by a reasonable margin, if not and Hull raise their intensity then it could go Hull's way.

This more or less says it for me, when fans say how bad their team were ( after a defeat ) they don't usually bother to say that the other team were so good, but It's more often than not the case. I have seen the Giants play a lot better this season, I've also seen them play worse, Wigan turned up on the night and in the second half particularly were just too good everywhere on the field, especially in the forwards.

I can't call tonights match, i just think it will be who turns up on the night, If we turn up and play like we have against Leeds for eg it could be our night ,If Hull put in a show like against Wolves theirs, If they both turn up it should be a cracker, I just think they are well matched in quality, maybe last weeks defeat and home advantage could just swing it ,I hope so but i just can't call it.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#55 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

A lots been said about Hulls win in the cup semi, but I thought they were lucky to come up against a Wire side that were well below their best

I can almost smell the tension.

#56 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

The last time Huddersfield topped the league in 31/32 they lost to Saints in the Championship final so Giants tonight and Saints to beat them at OT.

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

whilst we werent at our best, they also did us in the league in a similar style. Defend for all their worth and hope for some points.

#58 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Totally fair post.

One thing that cannot be denied is Leeds recent record in the playoffs lol

(Incidentally, a star that amuses me is Championships won - Leeds 9, Giants 7 - and we've had 40 years off;) utterly meaningless but makes me chuckle )

As EW posted the Giants were close last week, but well undercooked, Baloo has commented this week the out last high tempo game was Wigan away, since then it's been low key stuff - we put 40-0 on Wakey with a not much better performance than against Wigan for example.

Yes Hulls defence is mighty impressive when it clicks - but so is the Giants, and our attack is better when it kicks in too (which last week it very much didn't)

Sure look at previous playoffs, but as they've been doing all year the 2013 Giants are trying to write a new history.

Well that was always part of the legend never won title up to 1961"curse of the Bambino "etc.It is suggested that if not for Leeds Parish Church disbanding and Leeds getting the pick of their players Association Football was ready to move In at Headingley.Leeds were the weakest of the 5 clubs in the city.The championship eluded Leeds for over 60 years not even the first great side of the 30s could win the title  ,but by 1957 they had won the cup 7 times 1 more than the great team of all talents.Era's change and now its gone full cycle the club don't seem to be able to win the cup.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#59 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hence my "utterly meaningless" comment, trust me I am all too aware that era's change

Fortunately I'm getting to finally (hopefully) enjoy a good one for the Giants

#60 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well now Ted, I'd agree with a lot of this. Hudds followers know they are a bit light in the forwards, following losing O'Donnell and Fielden and Crabtree and Kopczak are having to do more than their fair share as props  and the Giants were overpowered last week after a promising start. Larne Patrick doesn't really hack it as a conventional prop. I agree about Lunt; he seems to have been carrying a knock for a few weeks. Hudds need his skills as a hooker and his try scoring threat.

No doubt they have been looking at making more metres than last week and controlling possession more effectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users