Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

20/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

2. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

3. Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

4. St Helens by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

5. St Helens by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

6. St Helens by 13 points or more (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Discuss the Super League Preliminary Semi-Final between Leeds Rhinos v St Helens here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

This will be one hell of a game, Saints with a bit of form, Leeds with a very good record in knock out play off games.

Tough one to call

#3 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

This will be one hell of a game, Saints with a bit of form, Leeds with a very good record in knock out play off games.

Tough one to call

We both have excellent records in playoff games. We've featured in 6 of the last 7 Grand Finals and you've been in 5 of the last 6, but of course you managed to win all of yours and we only won the first of ours. I believe our last two playoff games were in 2007 and 2008 and we won both?   

Very hard to call. I make you slight favourites but I'm still optimistic about us getting the job done. I expect all of the other teams are hoping we put you out in this one as I can't see anybody being too keen to meet you at Old Trafford.

#4 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Close one to call but Saints have a very good record at Shedingly in recent years and always seem to lift their game another notch there

#5 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

2 evenly matched teams. Leeds have better players and will be in the zone. Their last 2 tough games will stand Leeds in good stead.

#6 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

We both have excellent records in playoff games. We've featured in 6 of the last 7 Grand Finals and you've been in 5 of the last 6, but of course you managed to win all of yours and we only won the first of ours. I believe our last two playoff games were in 2007 and 2008 and we won both?

Very hard to call. I make you slight favourites but I'm still optimistic about us getting the job done. I expect all of the other teams are hoping we put you out in this one as I can't see anybody being too keen to meet you at Old Trafford.

I was more meaning recent playoffs, Leeds haven't lost a knock out playoff game since 2010.

But you are right Saints are no strangers to winning them either.

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

If (big if) Saints can stop burrow running across the face of the line to link with Watkins, Saints can win

#8 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Onwards role the 1400.

Saints fans in optimistic cheer.

It makes a nice change.

In my heart of hearts so long as we are running it close through the game, then I'll be happy.  Obviously I'd love us to win, but I always thought that week 2 will be something of a stick week for Saints with no halfbacks.

I'm not saying impossible but we need to work harder to match Leeds quality in the halves.

We are in good form so hopefully the juggernaught from 5th will continue.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#9 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

If (big if) Saints can stop burrow running across the face of the line to link with Watkins, Saints can win

A nice big hit by Sia or Meli early on should do the trick.

But honestly, I'd prefer it if we put pressure on Sinfield with his kicking.  That is where Leeds will have the major advantage over us.

Also does Lance qualify for a free punch this week????

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

#10 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

2 evenly matched teams. Leeds have better players and will be in the zone. Their last 2 tough games will stand Leeds in good stead.

That could be a decisive factor. Without wanting to be disrespectful to the Robins while that game may have given us a bit more confidence in our attacking combinations it probably wasn't the best preparation for a high intensity game. We shouldn't have too many problems with fatigue though which could also be important.

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

A nice big hit by Sia or Meli early on should do the trick.

But honestly, I'd prefer it if we put pressure on Sinfield with his kicking.  That is where Leeds will have the major advantage over us.

Also does Lance qualify for a free punch this week????

Don't start :biggrin:

Lets just hope he plays as well as he did on the weekend.

Edited by MrFussy, 17 September 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#12 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Don't start :biggrin:

Lets just hope he plays as well as he did on the weekend.

Could not help myself.  I was going to offer it to Lomax, but Lance seemed the more appropriate fall guy.

I get what people mean about the Hull KR game being less intense, but just because Leeds where in an intense game, I'm not sure that offers much of a measure of where the 2 clubs are in preparedness.

Because Leeds lost that intense game, so can we say they are ahead??

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hard one this going with my heart Leeds by 6
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Could not help myself.  I was going to offer it to Lomax, but Lance seemed the more appropriate fall guy.

I get what people mean about the Hull KR game being less intense, but just because Leeds where in an intense game, I'm not sure that offers much of a measure of where the 2 clubs are in preparedness.

Because Leeds lost that intense game, so can we say they are ahead??

I think it's more considerate giving it to Lance, it'd give him a chance to vent some frustration at all the criticism he's received :biggrin:

I know what you mean about preparation and it is difficult to tell. The weather could be an equally important factor too. If it's dry and we can throw the ball around a bit like we did on Saturday then I see no reason why we can't win. If it's raining though then I can see Sinfield taking over and keeping us pegged back with his quality kicking game.

I've been a big fan of Meli during his time at the club but what are the chances of a crucial clanger to say farewell? :tongue: I jest of course! He was in top form against KR and I'm hopeful of seeing more of the same.

Edited by MrFussy, 17 September 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#15 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Tight game, but I think saints by 4

Leeds have been to enough finals over the last decade..... Time for them to watch on the TV :-P

#16 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Tight game, but I think saints by 4

Leeds have been to enough finals over the last decade..... Time for them to watch on the TV :-P

They've been to less finals than we have :tongue:

#17 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

That's why I'm rooting for you to win GF after us because I feel sorry for you.It must have been terrible
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#18 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm including the three on the trot losing at wembley.

#19 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

I still think its good to get to any final.Although it was better to get to Wembley Pre Super League.Then it really was glory win or lose.
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#20 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'm including the three on the trot losing at wembley.

I was counting our four Challenge Cup wins in the last decade, I seemed to forget that Leeds lost three finals in a row but I'm thankful that you reminded me :biggrin: 

In the last decade (since 2003) Leeds have been in seven Grand Finals (04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11 and 12) and won six of them and five Challenge Cup Finals (03, 05, 10, 11 and 12) all of which they lost.

Saints meanwhile have been in six Grand Finals (06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11) and won one of them and four Challenge Cup Finals (04, 06, 07 and 08) winning the lot.

So Leeds have indeed been in more finals. I apologise sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users