Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

20/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

2. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

3. Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

4. St Helens by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

5. St Helens by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

6. St Helens by 13 points or more (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

That's why I'm rooting for you to win GF after us because I feel sorry for you.It must have been terrible

You must be able to relate to it somewhat given your equally atrocious record in Challenge Cup finals of late :tongue:

#22 Saints 4 Life

Saints 4 Life
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

This will be a really tough one for us, but its possible we just need to pull are socks up a bit. COME ON YOU SAINTS  :dance:

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

50:50 on this.  If Saints drop the ball, as they have been inclined to do this season, then all hope will quickly be snuffed out.  However, if they retain possession well then they have a chance.  Likewise if our forwards decide it's all a bit too much then all hope will be snuffed out.  However, if they instead decide they want to take it to 'em then they have a chance.  If our halves bring their ###### kicking game with them then all hope will be quickly snuffed out.  However, if they bring their best kicking game with them then they have a chance.  If it rains then we have no chance!

#24 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

You must be able to relate to it somewhat given your equally atrocious record in Challenge Cup finals of late :tongue:

Of course And I wasn't being facetious either.I mean up to 1961 Leeds had won more RL cups than any other,yet they hadn't won the RL Championship after playing in the final 5or6 times.No need for the silly rasberry I have stated Elsewhere I wouldn't be too disapointed if Saint beat us so long as they go on and win the GF.Saints and Leeds were far and away the two best teams back then ,we had mutual respect.Cheers for the rude rasberry
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#25 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Of course And I wasn't being facetious either.I mean up to 1961 Leeds had won more RL cups than any other,yet they hadn't won the RL Championship after playing in the final 5or6 times.No need for the silly rasberry I have stated Elsewhere I wouldn't be too disapointed if Saint beat us so long as they go on and win the GF.Saints and Leeds were far and away the two best teams back then ,we had mutual respect.Cheers for the rude rasberry

The raspberry wasn't intended to rude :( I added it so that you would know my post was light hearted and that I wasn't having a nasty dig. I'm guessing it had the opposite effect on this occasion...

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you'd have put a "silly raspberry" in your original post, people would have known you weren't being facetious.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

The raspberry wasn't intended to rude :( I added it so that you would know my post was light hearted and that I wasn't having a nasty dig. I'm guessing it had the opposite effect on this occasion...

Bingo!

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#28 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I should also add that I do have a great amount of respect for Leeds and their outstanding achievements over the last 10 years (as well as for their history in general).

Edited by MrFussy, 17 September 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#29 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

I should also add that I do have a great amount of respect for Leeds and their outstanding achievements over the last 10 years (as well as for their history in general).

Oh, shut up. Nobody's interested.

:whistle:

#30 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Oh, shut up. Nobody's interested.

:whistle:

:biggrin: I think I will!

#31 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Saints can never seem to be beat leeds in the final but perhaps in a prem semi they may well get some of their own back this year.....hope so!

#32 Saints 4 Life

Saints 4 Life
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Cant see us winning this one. 

#33 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

I was counting our four Challenge Cup wins in the last decade, I seemed to forget that Leeds lost three finals in a row but I'm thankful that you reminded me :biggrin: 

In the last decade (since 2003) Leeds have been in seven Grand Finals (04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11 and 12) and won six of them and five Challenge Cup Finals (03, 05, 10, 11 and 12) all of which they lost.

Saints meanwhile have been in six Grand Finals (06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11) and won one of them and four Challenge Cup Finals (04, 06, 07 and 08) winning the lot.

So Leeds have indeed been in more finals. I apologise sir!

No apology required, just beat them. Christopher has done me head in, doesnt give up.

I do has the upmost respect for TWIG and fieldofclothofgold.... I think they wouldn't mind me one GF ring

#34 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

No apology required, just beat them. Christopher has done me head in, doesnt give up.

I do has the upmost respect for TWIG and fieldofclothofgold.... I think they wouldn't mind me one GF ring

Actually it is yours to lose.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#35 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I do think you will win it quite handy,but I don't want to put the Kybosh on it for you
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Saints come in to this game on the back of a big victory,Leeds go into the game on the back of a defeat.Saints confidence will be sky high.I think Saints will win this quite comfortably.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#37 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

? Done your head in? Poor lamb.

Anyway I reckon your mob will win the GF this year but I'm sure those posters you mention will want their teams to win not yours.

Personally I think a Wire v Wigan final will be the best result for the game in general, I've said all along I don't think it's Leeds' year this year.

#38 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

I was counting our four Challenge Cup wins in the last decade, I seemed to forget that Leeds lost three finals in a row but I'm thankful that you reminded me :biggrin: 

In the last decade (since 2003) Leeds have been in seven Grand Finals (04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11 and 12) and won six of them and five Challenge Cup Finals (03, 05, 10, 11 and 12) all of which they lost.

Saints meanwhile have been in six Grand Finals (06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11) and won one of them and four Challenge Cup Finals (04, 06, 07 and 08) winning the lot.

So Leeds have indeed been in more finals. I apologise sir!

And won more! (6-5)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#39 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Jones-Bishop looks for play-off improvement

By Josh Barrowcliff

Leeds Rhinos winger Ben Jones-Bishop is confident his side can put their play-off defeat to Warrington Wolves behind them and stay in contention for a sixth Super League triumph in seven years when they face St Helens in a repeat of the 2011 title decider at Headingly Carnegie Stadium on Friday (8.00pm).
The sides meet in the second of the Super League preliminary semi-finals on Friday night when Leeds will look to get back to winning ways following the 40-20 defeat to Warrington and the 25-year-old knows the Rhinos will need to be at their best if they are to keep their Grand Final hopes alive.
“We felt very good going into the Warrington game, especially after the win against Wigan but it just didn’t go right for us on the day,” said Jones-Bishop.
“We’re going to have to put in a big week to prepare for the game against St Helens and make sure we come out on the right side of the result.
“But for us to have senior blokes like Jamie Peacock and Kevin Sinfield in our team, who have been there and done it before, is a big boost as they’ve set the precedent. They lead and we follow and it’s all about the mind-set of do or die and being the most clinical team on the day and obviously we’ve managed to be that team in past years so hopefully we can be that team again.
“It won’t be easy but they’re all tough games at this stage of the season. The play-offs are a different type of intensity and pressure and everyone is capable of beating each other so you know you have to be on top in every match.”
Having been sidelined for over six months this year after discovering a blood clot in his lung at the back of the 2012 season, Jones-Bishop is overjoyed to be back in the game and would relish the chance to step out at Old Trafford on October 5.
“It’s great to be back playing and I’m just delighted to be on the pitch again,” he said.
“It was a very frustrating six months for me, especially with this being the Rugby League World Cup year as well, so it was a big blow but it’s great to be back and I’m enjoying every minute of it.
“It’s great to be out there and I just hope that I can keep doing my bit for the team and hopefully help us progress. Getting to the Grand Final again would be brilliant but we have a long way to go to get back to Old Trafford so we’ll just take it game by game for now.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#40 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

I like the way we are thinking.  The players are positive up beat and have a smile on their faces.

The fans have enforced a unilateral embargo on bagging x and y players, even showing some support in some quarters.

When we play with a smile on our faces, it's generally going to be a good game.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users