Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

19/09/13 - KPC Qual SF: Halifax v Sheffield Eagles KO 7pm (Premier Sports)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Halifax by 13 points or more (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Halifax by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Halifax by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [15.38%])

4. Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [15.38%])

5. Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

6. Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Discuss the Kingstone Press Championship Qualifying Semi-Final between Halifax v Sheffield Eagles here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Eagles aim for third consecutive Grand Final

By Liam Williams

Sheffield Eagles are hoping to avenge their Kingstone Press Championship play-off defeat by Halifax two weeks ago by booking their place in a third consecutive Championship Grand Final when the sides meet again at The Shay on Thursday (7.00pm).
The defending champions responded to that defeat by recording an impressive 52-16 victory over Dewsbury Rams last weekend to book their re-match against Halifax in front of the Premier Sports cameras and Eagles hooker Andrew Henderson is aiming to set the record straight.
“We are still in it and we are desperate to give a better account of ourselves than the last game against Halifax,” said Henderson.
“The break after the defeat to Halifax gave us the chance to sit down as a team and figure out where we went wrong and focus on finding the clinical form we showed earlier in the season.
“We have had some tough losses towards the end of the season, but I feel that we showed our true colours against Dewsbury and got ourselves back on track.
“That game gave us renewed confidence; we put in a very dominating display, but we know it will be a different game against Halifax.
“They will be fresh and most likely look to hit the ground running but we’re going to be ready for them.”
Despite finishing above Halifax in the league, the Eagles are going into the game as underdogs having suffered a blip to their end of season league form but the 34-year-old believes that puts all the pressure on their opponents.
“This season we set ourselves the target of making it back-to-back successes and to go out there and try to win another Grand Final, and we still want to do that,” he said.
“We are on the back of one of our best seasons ever. It’s just a shame that we haven’t been able to get some silverware in the cabinet yet.
“We’ve been in these situations before and if anything the pressure is on them to live up to the expectation.”
Henderson is confident that his side can keep their domestic season alive for a few more weeks but the most capped player in Scottish Rugby League history is also hoping his season will continue beyond the play-offs and onto a successful World Cup campaign.
“Obviously my aim is to win another Grand Final but I also need to play well to keep myself in contention for a place in the World Cup squad,” he said.
“There is so much competition for places out there so you have to keep pushing yourself and it will be an honour for me to play in the World Cup should I be picked by the coaching staff.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

A tricky one to call and hard to decide which coach I would prefer to see spitting feathers. Karl Harrison has been pretty obnoxious all season (the most ungracious winner I know) whilst Tubby has his idiosyncrasies to be sure.

I reckon home advantage will just play in Fax's favour. 

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

A tricky one to call and hard to decide which coach I would prefer to see spitting feathers. Karl Harrison has been pretty obnoxious all season (the most ungracious winner I know) whilst Tubby has his idiosyncrasies to be sure.

I reckon home advantage will just play in Fax's favour.

I think you're right. In the last game v Fax (and the game against Fev before that) the Eagles struggled up front. If Fax get control of the forwards they'll win comfortably.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#5 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Crowd support crucial for Halifax’s local hero

By Josh Barrowcliff

Halifax prop Luke Ambler is confident that home support will make the difference for his side when they take on defending Kingstone Press Championship champions Sheffield Eagles at The Shay on Thursday (7.00pm).
In their last encounter Halifax beat the Eagles 21-6 at the Don Valley Stadium but since then Sheffield recorded an impressive 52-16 victory over Dewsbury Rams to set up a rematch but Ambler believes that playing in front of home support will give his side the edge.
“The fans have been very important for us this season and they’ve played a big part in our success,” said Ambler.
“At The Shay the fans seem very close to the pitch and that adds a certain element of pressure to the match. It feels like they’re beside you on the pitch and that can be a big boost in tight games when you need that extra lift.
“When the crowd come out in their numbers it is a massive boost for us, so hopefully we can get a result and make them proud this week.
“Both sides will be looking to attack from the first whistle; we know that it’s going to be a fierce encounter with the winner taking all the spoils.”
Halifax endured a stuttering end to their league season, winning just four of their last eight games, but local-hero Ambler remains confident they can finish the season strongly and he hopes to impress Sheffield and Ireland coach Mark Aston ahead of the Rugby League World Cup 2013.
“Getting to the Championship Grand Final would be a dream come true for me,” he said. “We know that we had a bit of dip towards the end of the season but we’ve turned it around by putting in some strong displays.
“All our hard work in training has been paying off so far and we just need to keep our feet on the ground and make sure we perform.
“It makes it even more exciting for me that an appearance in the final would come on the eve of a World Cup so I’ll be doing everything I can to impress the coach and with any luck make the Ireland squad.”

On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.

#6 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Halifax v Sheffield Eagles – 7.00pm Premier Sports

Halifax coach Karl Harrison is aiming for a second victory over Sheffield Eagles in a fortnight to secure his side’s place in the Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final.
Halifax earned themselves a week off with a 21-6 triumph over Sheffield earlier in the play-offs.
But the Eagles are boosted by the return to Mark Aston’s squad of Misi Taulapapa and Liam Higgins for Thursday's live televised clash.
Taulapapa has recovered from a recent shoulder problem, while Higgins missed the Eagles’ 52-16 win over Dewsbury Rams due to personal reasons.
Aston said: “We’ve played Halifax plenty of times this year, and it’s two all at the minute.  I’m sure it will be an exciting game on Thursday.
“We’ve been a bit flat since we gave away the league. It’s been a tough couple of weeks for the guys, but they’ve got their mojo back.
“They’re buzzing and confident, and when they’re like that they’re a very capable team. Halifax will be aware of that.”
He added: “We beat a very good Dewsbury team very convincingly. We were very strong for long periods of that game.”

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Get the impression that the Eagles have just about run out of steam. Still should be a good game. Wonder if we'll get a golden point situation again?

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm going to have to miss the game tonight as it clashes with SL and clearly I'm going to have to go around blindfolded with ear muffs on so as to avoid the score!  But I'll be watching the repeat on Saturday morning to see how things played out.

#9 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

6 - 0 to Fax so far

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#10 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Drop goal for the Eagles with 10 to go could be decisive.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Try for Sheffield. 11 ahead, kick to come and 7 minutes on the clock. Good old Karl Harrison should be good value after this. Kick scored, so 10-23 to Sheffield.

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Sheffield in the Grand Final yet again as Sheffield go over. Great dribbling from Menzie Yere. 27-10 to Sheffield with 30 seconds to go. Kick 29-10. Time for the Super League play off now.

#13 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Good game that, well deserved win by Sheffield. 

Can the people of Sheffield now give them the respect they deserve and turn out in numbers to the final.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Well, I quickly gave up on the Superleague game and watched this one instead.  So very glad that I did!  It was a great match between two professional teams who each did their fans proud.  Sheffield just that bit better on the night, unlike when these two last met. 

#15 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well, I didn't expect that. Excellent all round performance from the Eagles, and amazing given the four-day turnaround. A few more days of rest ahead of the final will be handy - we definitely need it.

Cracking to be into another Grand Final, too. Can't see past another meeting with Fev, which could be a cracker. Would be nice to face our old coach John Kear in the final though, so come on Batley :)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#16 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Well, you know what, we did it, didn't expect us to mind. Was a good performance by both teams and for us to take control in the last 20 on a 4 day turnround is impressive.

As to the good people of Sheffield (and Rotherham, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Barnsley and everywhere else that we draw our meagre fan base from) turning up in numbers, don't hold your breath. The RFL will be praying for Fev to get there or it will be the lowest crowd since the GF was introduced at this level.

It's not about how many fans you've got though, it's what happens on the pitch that determines who lifts the trophy. We're there again and we'll be looking to defend our title.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

No votes for Sheffield by 13+ :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

None of us have a clue, do we ? :laugh:

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users