Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/09/13 - KPC Qual SF: Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Featherstone Rovers by 13 points or more (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Featherstone Rovers by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Featherstone Rovers by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Batley Bulldogs by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. Voted Batley Bulldogs by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

6. Batley Bulldogs by 13 points or more (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Discuss the Kingstone Press Championship Qualifying Semi-Final between Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Nervous about this one, Batley are a good team and Kear will have them well up for this.

I guess it will be fairly low scoring and we'd better not go to sleep like we did against Leigh two weeks ago.

#3 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Rovers talisman keen to avoid play-off complacency

By Josh Barrowcliff

Featherstone Rovers captain Liam Finn will not be taking anything for granted when his side take on Batley Bulldogs in a Kingstone Press Championship play-off semi-final at the Big Fellas Stadium on Sunday (3.00pm).
Featherstone secured their fourth consecutive Championship League Leaders’ Shield by ending the regular season in pole position and are aiming for their fourth consecutive Grand Final should they overcome the Bulldogs.
With home advantage, Rovers start as over-whelming favourites but half-back Finn and his team-mates are staying focused.
“This is a knockout game, so form goes out of the window,” said Finn. “Both teams will be playing to their absolute maximum as it’s a game that no-one wants to lose so we know we’ll have to be at our best.
“Hopefully we can remain focused on what’s in front of us and keep up our strong end to the season.
“We’re at home which is good but I don’t think it will make a big difference for us. We know the most important thing is the contest on the field and making sure that we come out on top on the day.
“Sometimes external influences try to put more pressure on you by making it a bigger game, we’ve kept training normal which I think every team tries to do and we’re fully focused on completing the job.”
Responsibility is nothing new to Finn and he says he will not let his status as captain of both club and country, Ireland, get in the way of success with Rovers ahead of Rugby League World Cup 2013.
“At the moment my sole focus is on Featherstone and trying to achieve everything I can with them,” he said.
“Obviously it is a massive honour to lead my country but the job is much easier with the experienced internationals around me. We have a good squad with players hungry to prove themselves at the highest level so hopefully we can convert that into results when the competition starts.
“But that’s all to come, once the season is over I will focus on success with the national squad but until then the only thing on my mind is ensure we can go all the way to the Grand Final.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Nice to see the LE get a comment from Batley!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Kingstone Press Championship Qualifying semi-final

Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs (3.00pm)

Featherstone Rovers team manager Sean Long is aiming to maintain the club’s unbeaten record against Batley Bulldogs in 2013 when they clash for a third time this year on Sunday afternoon.
Rovers won 18-12 at home in July, backing up a 16-12 victory at Mount Pleasant in May.
Now Long is determined to complete the treble, with a place in the Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final at stake.
Vince Mellars (knee) hopes to return after missing Rovers play-off win over Leigh, while Andy Kain is also expected to feature despite carrying a knock into the Centurions match.
Bulldogs coach John Kear, who is without Johnny Campbell (suspended), insists Batley will be ready despite a grueling golden-point win over Leigh last week.
Kear said: “We’re feeling confident and good about ourselves. We’re playing some good rugby at the moment. We’ll be right, don’t worry.”
He added: “It’s great for the club. I feel really chuffed for all the directors and fans. We’ve just got to dust ourselves down and have a dig.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#6 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Cant wait for Sunday, always a cracker of a game against Batley. Think the Loud n Proud home crowd will see us through another classic.

Guaranteed to be a cracker as usual against the Bulldogs

Featherstone 38-16 Batley

First try-Finn

M.O.M - Steve Crossley

Attendance - 2480

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#7 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

well done Batley!!

I was hoping they would but didn't think they would

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#8 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yes, well done Batley. A Sheffield - Batley final - would you Adam and Eve it! Awaits first comment on potential gate with trepidation.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yes, well done Batley. A Sheffield - Batley final - would you Adam and Eve it! Awaits first comment on potential gate with trepidation.

The gate will be the biggest ever...
Posted Image

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

batley for super league......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#11 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. We took just under 2500 fans to Blackpool for the 2010 Northern Rail Final. I'm confident we'll match that next week. The Batley public love the promise of a booze up, even if they fail to appear at our home matches.

Edited by TheTerminator, 22 September 2013 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Congratulations to the Yoths - didn't see that one coming, when I looked Rovers were up about 16-0.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#13 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Well done Batley. Great game and great entertainment. Good luck for the final!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#14 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Congrats to Batley, well deserved.  Never gave up and wanted it more than us, we stayed in the changing room 2nd half.

Hope they go on to beat Sheffield, might even tag along to support them.

#15 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

A gallant victory.

Well done Batley.

#16 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Surprised that the gate was only 2200.....

#17 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Surprised that the gate was only 2200.....

Agreed, there seemed to a lot more there than the official figure claims.

Posted Image

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

Looking at the playoff crowds in SL, 2200 is similarly low. Playoff football is going to take a few seasons to catch the public's imagination.

The attendance at the final might be a little smaller than usual but both teams won their place there on merit and results on the field and that's the way the chips have fallen. Small attendance or not, let's hope we have a great game and the finals appearances by both clubs galvanise their support. I have the same wish for Rochdale and Oldham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users