Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keep Sheffield Eagles in Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 E.Glet

E.Glet
  • Coach
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Whether you support The Eagles or not, please can you take a minute out of your day to sign this petition.  Imagine if it was your club going through the same thing.  Every signature will help if you follow the link below.  You will have to register to sign this petition, THANKS in advance for your support on this. 

Katie

https://sheffield.mo...lay.aspx?id=115

"Seriously, a nutless monkey could do your job"

#2 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

i thought you were going back to your old home..

http://allstoxforum....wlerton-stadium

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I refuse to sign any petition on the grounds that financial help from a local authority is a privilege and NOT a right, unlike some Eagles fans seems to think. To actually expect Sheffield Council to either provide a professional sporting outfit with a stadium or fund the necessary improvements to an existing privately-owned venue is more than a little arrogant. I'm actually led to believe that the Council have already offered you a stadium to play at which has been turned down point blank due to its lack of corporate facilities.

Edited by TheTerminator, 17 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Goooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Sean

Goooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Sean
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

It's only thanks to the Batley BoD and supportive fan base that we have such an excellent and constantly improving ground.

As far as I know we have had little/no support from Kirklees Council so it's difficult to understand how any club could expect a ground to be provided for them. Although this has happened for Donny/Leigh/Swinton.

#5 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Maybe we should start a petition, so Kirklees Council can build/fund a new ground for us!! Or maybe the BoDs at Batley and Dewsbury demand both our grounds are fully developed by the local authority.

In these austere times, I think some people need to get real a bit here.

Whether you agree with the local government cuts or not, they have to be adhered to by the council. The money (sadly) is just not there.

#6 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Whether you support The Eagles or not, please can you take a minute out of your day to sign this petition.  Imagine if it was your club going through the same thing.  Every signature will help if you follow the link below.  You will have to register to sign this petition, THANKS in advance for your support on this. 

Katie

https://sheffield.mo...lay.aspx?id=115

Done

#7 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Contrary to some opinions above, I believe that The Eagles do have a right to expect Sheffield City Council to help them out, as it's them who have ballsed it up by closing the Don Valley in the first place. How can they claim to be unable to finance its' upkeep, yet find enough money to upgrade the local athletic track, or even think about the originally mooted idea of building a new stadium? That just about sums up the confused thinking that only a labour-led council could come up with whilst blaming it on somebody else. Stick to your guns Eagles and if they don't help, move towns and change your name, you can only GAIN support that way. Good luck.

#8 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Done

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

It's only thanks to the Batley BoD and supportive fan base that we have such an excellent and constantly improving ground.

As far as I know we have had little/no support from Kirklees Council so it's difficult to understand how any club could expect a ground to be provided for them. Although this has happened for Donny/Leigh/Swinton.

Not correct on our account - no ground provided for us we simply rent LSV 

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Contrary to some opinions above, I believe that The Eagles do have a right to expect Sheffield City Council to help them out, as it's them who have ballsed it up by closing the Don Valley in the first place. How can they claim to be unable to finance its' upkeep, yet find enough money to upgrade the local athletic track, or even think about the originally mooted idea of building a new stadium? That just about sums up the confused thinking that only a labour-led council could come up with whilst blaming it on somebody else. Stick to your guns Eagles and if they don't help, move towns and change your name, you can only GAIN support that way. Good luck.

I'm not sure that the cost of upgrading an athletics 'stadium' that is the equivalent of the one behind Spenborough Sports Centre is even remotely comparable to the cost of maintaining the enormous, tragic white elephant that is the Don Valley Stadium. Neither can you compare local amateur athletics and a professional, privately owned sporting club. Were Batley, somehow, placed in a situation where we had to sell Mount Pleasant, would Kirklees build us a new stadium? Unequivocally no, and we wouldn't expect them to either. What's the difference here? Additionally, those in charge of the Eagles were only too eager to abandon their council provided facility and bunk up with Sheffield United a few years ago when the opportunity arose - using the Don Valley as little more than a convenient back up when Bramall Lane was unavailable. Maybe if they'd stayed loyal to the Don Valley, Sheffield Council may have been less inclined to demolish it. Food for thought, perhaps?

Edited by TheTerminator, 17 September 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant but Sheffield council aren't mooting the idea of building a new stadium themselves but of being "supportive" towards any moves to create such a development.

The council are skint - it's been in all the papers you know.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm actually led to believe that the Council have already offered you a stadium to play at which has been turned down point blank due to its lack of corporate facilities.

Where was that ? :blink:

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Despite following Swinton  for all my 43 years I seem to have missed this event 

#14 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm not sure that the cost of upgrading an athletics 'stadium' that is the equivalent of the one behind Spenborough Sports Centre is even remotely comparable to the cost of maintaining the enormous, tragic white elephant that is the Don Valley Stadium. Neither can you compare local amateur athletics and a professional, privately owned sporting club. Were Batley, somehow, placed in a situation where we had to sell Mount Pleasant, would Kirklees build us a new stadium? Unequivocally no, and we wouldn't expect them to either. What's the difference here? Additionally, those in charge of the Eagles were only too eager to abandon their council provided facility and bunk up with Sheffield United a few years ago when the opportunity arose - using the Don Valley as little more than a convenient back up when Bramall Lane was unavailable. Maybe if they'd stayed loyal to the Don Valley, Sheffield Council may have been less inclined to demolish it. Food for thought, perhaps?

Food for thought, were it not completely inaccurate. Sheffield left the Don Valley whilst Rotherham United were playing there, meaning that they were not able to train at the ground or even have any say when the fixtures could be.

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Food for thought, were it not completely inaccurate. Sheffield left the Don Valley whilst Rotherham United were playing there, meaning that they were not able to train at the ground or even have any say when the fixtures could be.

Does that mean that they were able to train at Bramall Lane and have a say when the fixtures could be?

The "plucky little Sheffield" scenario doesn't hang together so well with Championship fans you know, even if the BBC fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 19 September 2013 - 06:09 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

In other news, QLT signs a new two year deal. Times must be hard.

Posted Image

#17 Goooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Sean

Goooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Sean
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Despite following Swinton  for all my 43 years I seem to have missed this event 

This isn't a dig at Swinton, I was referring to the LSV, a purpose built £50m stadium complex.  I realise that it has multiple occupiers and that the clubs do pay rent.  Whilst it wasn't exclusively built for Leigh/Swinton/Blackburn Rovers U21s it was built with them in mind.  My point is that some councils are much more supportive of their sporting teams (RL and otherwise) than others.

If Batley were unable to play at The Mount (aka Love Rugby League.com stadium) I cannot envisage that Kirkless would offer much/any support in finding/providing somewhere for the team to play.

#18 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Batley could possibly play at Tetley Stadium for a few years until they have another ground built like they did for Dewsbury back in the early 90's.

#19 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

This isn't a dig at Swinton, I was referring to the LSV, a purpose built £50m stadium complex.  I realise that it has multiple occupiers and that the clubs do pay rent.  Whilst it wasn't exclusively built for Leigh/Swinton/Blackburn Rovers U21s it was built with them in mind.  My point is that some councils are much more supportive of their sporting teams (RL and otherwise) than others.

If Batley were unable to play at The Mount (aka Love Rugby League.com stadium) I cannot envisage that Kirkless would offer much/any support in finding/providing somewhere for the team to play.

I realise it wasnt a dig at Swinton and you are trying to make a point but LSV was built for Leigh which is part of Wigan whilst Swinton is part of Salford (unfortunately.) The LSV was not built with Swinton in mind at all.  

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

In other news, QLT signs a new two year deal. Times must be hard.

Ah - if only you could build a stadium for the price of Q's salary !!

Look - the lass just asked you to sign her petition.  If you want to sign it, sign it.  If you don't, don't.  What's the problem ?

Still waiting for your reply to post 12 - or did you make it up?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users