Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keep Sheffield Eagles in Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Whilst not being involved with all the ins and outs of the situation, I have often wondered why the Eagles have not attempted to groundshare with Rotherham United. A lovely little ground and only a 40/20 kick away from Sheffield. 

#22 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'm sure we once played the Eagles at Oakwell, but I may be wrong. I also thought that they occasionally played at Rotherham's old Millmoor ground, but again I may be just imagining it.

#23 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Whilst not being involved with all the ins and outs of the situation, I have often wondered why the Eagles have not attempted to groundshare with Rotherham United. A lovely little ground and only a 40/20 kick away from Sheffield.

They told rotherham titans to go swivel with a groundshare so when they are telling the local team no what chance do the eagles have?

Also sounds like they were messed about whilst at the don valley

http://www.rotherham...le.asp?a=235498

#24 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Did they not play dewsbury at a place called St Marys?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#25 Birchy

Birchy
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

I've signed it.

UP THE ROVERS!

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'm sure we once played the Eagles at Oakwell, but I may be wrong. I also thought that they occasionally played at Rotherham's old Millmoor ground, but again I may be just imagining it.

We did play Trinity at Oakwell in February 1990. And we played Swinton at Millmoor in 1985.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

I've signed it.

Appreciated.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Did they not play dewsbury at a place called St Marys?

Mount St Marys.  Yes - great little ground for development grades, good pitch, good facilities, just off the M1.  But not good enough for spectators.  we only played there because of Warren Jowett's intransigence.  Think he was hoping that we'd play it at Dewsbury.

#29 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

signed the petition but in italian hope it counts

#30 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

signed the petition but in italian hope it counts

Si. Grazie.

#31 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Think ile sign as a thanks for beating fax ,congratulations and hope its our 3rd gf meeting in a row a week on sunday , its out turn this time though .

#32 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Think ile sign as a thanks for beating fax ,congratulations and hope its our 3rd gf meeting in a row a week on sunday , its out turn this time though .

Who's turn? Watch out for the under (bull) dog they might bite you on yer bum, although we might just as likely roll on our back for our tummy tickling ;)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#33 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well done Sheffield.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 19 September 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#34 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

I think they're flogging a dead horse in asking ratepayers to cough up to help a sport that only interests 0.1% of the population of the city, and some of those fans don't even live in Sheffield! I believe their efforts would be better spent lobbying the RFL to relax the rules a little for next season, so they could play next season at Owlerton, Stocksbridge, or that non-league soccer ground just off the Parkway, which should be good enough for crowds of less than 1,000. Big games against Fev, Fax, etc can always be switched. How long have Wakey remained in Super League while their ground has been well below standard? Then there's Dronfield, where Sheffield FC play; apparantely the pitch is too short, but is it any shorter than Fev's? Surely the rules could be relaxed for the Championship until they get something sorted? It would have to be quick though, because SL2 will need a bigger capacity!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users