Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So does this apply to the Red Devils?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-union/24079365
It seems strange that this has only been mentioned on the cross code forum.
It implies that the union mob have struck a deal over their landlords heads or is the stadium only named after the sponsors in the winter?
Or do the Red Devils get a cut?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-union/24079365
It seems strange that this has only been mentioned on the cross code forum.
It implies that the union mob have struck a deal over their landlords heads or is the stadium only named after the sponsors in the winter?
Or do the Red Devils get a cut?

Sale are a parasitic organisation.   They've sucked Stockport County dry and now moved on to Salford.  I hope Koukash is up for a fight, because Sale are a pretty low bunch in the way they handle themselves.

That's me.  I'm done.

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Sale are a parasitic organisation.   They've sucked Stockport County dry and now moved on to Salford.  I hope Koukash is up for a fight, because Sale are a pretty low bunch in the way they handle themselves.

Dr Khoukash seems like just the right person to deal with Sale and if he gets ownership of the stadium he will be in a strong position to dictate terms to them.

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Dr Khoukash seems like just the right person to deal with Sale and if he gets ownership of the stadium he will be in a strong position to dictate terms to them.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

see http://www.ajbell.co.uk/

AJ Bell provides quality, cost-effective investment platforms and stockbroker services that win awards year after year. Currently administering over £19.3 billion of assets for more than 78,000 clients, we are one of the fastest growing investment platforms in the UK.

I assume the nice people at AJ Bell have handed over a chunk of their customers money to Sale in return for naming rights and presumably, a package of corporate seats/meals etc

#6 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

AJ Bell provides quality, cost-effective investment platforms and stockbroker services that win awards year after year. Currently administering over £19.3 billion of assets for more than 78,000 clients, we are one of the fastest growing investment platforms in the UK.

I assume the nice people at AJ Bell have handed over a chunk of their customers money to Sale in return for naming rights and presumably, a package of corporate seats/meals etc

But was it theirs (Sale) to sell?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

yes apparently as part of their lease deal they bought naming rights to sell on.

#8 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Salford had option of buying naming rights and did not exercise that option. Not sure how Sale are living off Salford. It has benefitted Salford having Sale as co-tenants. This is more a case of Salford lacking any will to move the club forward.

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Looks like dhw has answered my question.

Edited by deluded pom?, 17 September 2013 - 06:03 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Mr A J Bell used to be a director at Saints and claimed to be a lifelong fan of Saints.

I wonder what turned him to the dark side? :ph34r:

#11 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Mr A J Bell used to be a director at Saints and claimed to be a lifelong fan of Saints.

I wonder what turned him to the dark side? :ph34r:

Perhaps he was talking about the Northampton variety.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#12 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Salford had option of buying naming rights and did not exercise that option. Not sure how Sale are living off Salford. It has benefitted Salford having Sale as co-tenants. This is more a case of Salford lacking any will to move the club forward.

So perhaps the Doc isn't as smart as we thought.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

So perhaps the Doc isn't as smart as we thought.

Why? He wasn't involved in Salford when Sale bought these rights.

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

before his time, I think.

#15 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

before his time, I think.

It was. Back in December we went to a meeting with John Wilkinson about the impending death of SCR, and the question of stadium naming rights was raised then (some time prior to the meeting, it had been revealed that Sale had acquired those rights). Given that Salford were in the stadium first, you'd expect us to be given first dibs but Wilkie said we hadn't been offered them. It seems strange that they were offered to Sale and not Salford, but I suspect it was just that Sale had the wherewithal to ask for them.

Anyhoo it seems that Marwan isn't too worried. "Bigger fish to fry" apparently. I think I'd read that as "Chill. I'm buying the stadium."

I hope.

#16 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

I put this on the other forum

If the naming rights go to exclusively to sale then where is the incentive for Salford to use the name, what will the penalty be if Salford continue to call it the Salford City Stadium.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

I put this on the other forum

If the naming rights go to exclusively to sale then where is the incentive for Salford to use the name, what will the penalty be if Salford continue to call it the Salford City Stadium.

None whatsoever.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Lack of money I'd say. Let's not forget that Salford were in pretty much the same situation as Wakefield before Koukash came along.

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Salford didn't have the cash to pay rent, let alone naming rights.

As with other instances, such as the club shop, the Sharks took this opportunity to sneak in through the back door.

Illegal? No. Underhand? Yes.

#20 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Lets hope sale get relegated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users