Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So does this apply to the Red Devils?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Not sure how Sale are living off Salford. It has benefitted Salford having Sale as co-tenants.

Sharing with Sale worked out extremely well for Stockport County.

That's me.  I'm done.

#22 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

I put this on the other forum

If the naming rights go to exclusively to sale then where is the incentive for Salford to use the name, what will the penalty be if Salford continue to call it the Salford City Stadium.

Good point.  

I see no reason why Salford need to use the name in any significant way.

That's me.  I'm done.

#23 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Salford didn't have the cash to pay rent, let alone naming rights.

As with other instances, such as the club shop, the Sharks took this opportunity to sneak in through the back door.

Illegal? No. Underhand? Yes.

What's the situation with the club shop?

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,448 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Illegal? No. Underhand? Yes.

Underhand? Hardly. Opportunistic, yes. Good business, definitely. Salford would have done the same if they'd been able, but they weren't.

Edited by Futtocks, 18 September 2013 - 08:29 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sharing with Sale worked out extremely well for Stockport County.

It helped County survive and meant B Kennedy lost a lot of money on a football club in a stadium that was in a bad state. Anyway, don't County own the ground now?

#26 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

see the crowd last week for Sale's friday night clash with Newcastle was 9000. Would be good for SL if Salford could grow to that

#27 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

It wasn't 9000, more like 7K and some - there were a lot of, er, inflated, attendances last weekend. 

Go to Aviva premiership website where they seem to have forgotten to use the RU calculator and have the real numbers

#28 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

just face the fact that no matter how good our game is union is a much larger and much better managed sport.........

Edited by Viking Warrior, 18 September 2013 - 10:13 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#29 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

For me this is a non issue, No one calls it the City of Salford Stadium most refer to it as Barton. By the same token only TV will use the name. It's like Belle Vue, no idea what it's name is at present it's Belle Vue to me.

Salford being run on a shoestring before December 2012 has led to Sale having the rights, but don't know if this is a good deal as I don't know if they sold them for more than they paid.

Sale haven't really caused too many issues, other than highlight how poor Salford have been.

Hope the doctor will get a shop on site and see more Devil branding around the place.

#30 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Good point.  

I see no reason why Salford need to use the name in any significant way.

Except, maybe on their website, under directions to ground: follow road signs for AJ Bell Stadium.

Edited by Bulliac, 18 September 2013 - 12:16 PM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#31 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

It wasn't 9000, more like 7K and some - there were a lot of, er, inflated, attendances last weekend. 

Go to Aviva premiership website where they seem to have forgotten to use the RU calculator and have the real numbers

Why over state... as surely the tax man would take note.  I have always assumed that clubs would want to under state...

#32 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Why over state... as surely the tax man would take note.  I have always assumed that clubs would want to under state...

Seems like you're assuming that every attendee pays full price for tickets, or even pays anything for tickets, and maybe you're also assuming that everybody who has paid for a ticket is actually there, but just like the words to the song, 'it ain't necessarily so'. Official attendances are a dark art and would only form a small part of income on the balance sheet.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#33 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

see the crowd last week for Sale's friday night clash with Newcastle was 9000. Would be good for SL if Salford could grow to that

I would take the 9000  figure with a pinch of salt.

If Sale try messing with the good doctor they will get their come uppence with interest.

#34 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

Sale are a parasitic organisation.   They've sucked Stockport County dry and now moved on to Salford.  I hope Koukash is up for a fight, because Sale are a pretty low bunch in the way they handle themselves.

Stockport County have much bigger problems than Sale in the area. Maybe the whole thing was a bit suss, but a top flight rugby club would have always won out against a club like Stockport. 

#35 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Seems like you're assuming that every attendee pays full price for tickets, or even pays anything for tickets, and maybe you're also assuming that everybody who has paid for a ticket is actually there, but just like the words to the song, 'it ain't necessarily so'. Official attendances are a dark art and would only form a small part of income on the balance sheet.

As in George Gershwin..... I'm more of a George Formby man myself.... "they can't fool me"   springs to mind

But yer right a lot of assumptions on my behalf....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users