Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Tomkins to NRL?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Best thing to happen in RL for ages. We will all miss him when he is gone.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Best thing to happen in RL for ages. We will all miss him when he is gone.

Saint 4 Life you mean?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Genius with the ball, tackling poor, dodgy under the high ball and attitude questionable in that he is always running off to the ref to dispute any score - shades of Paul Wellens. Every team in both codes, both hemispheres..... If that was true he could have signed for a French RU team and be making 2-3 times the money. But he has no position in RU, less room with two more defenders and defence would have to improve.

It will be very interesting to see how he does in the much more demanding NRL when he won't have a dominant team in front of him.

How well did he play against Australia last year? Anonymous would be one description.

I'd hardly call his tackling poor. How bad is it compared to other full backs? And under the high ball?

Anonymous last year against the Aussies indeed. We didn't play then last year probably being the main reason for that!
Posted Image

#24 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Genius with the ball, tackling poor, dodgy under the high ball and attitude questionable in that he is always running off to the ref to dispute any score - shades of Paul Wellens.

Shades of Paul Wellens?

The main difference between Tomkins and Wellens is that Tomkins can run faster than my mum.

That's me.  I'm done.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Shades of Paul Wellens?

The main difference between Tomkins and Wellens is that Tomkins can run faster than my mum.

Stephen Hawking can run faster than Wellens. 

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#26 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Great Player.....bit cocky but so what...he's young and successful so why shouldn't be be.

I think he might be a little slight for the NRL but we'll see.....i hope he goes over there and keeps improving

Screen_Shot_2014_09_23_at_14_53_05.jpg

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

How well did he play against Australia last year? Anonymous would be one description.

Name one England player who played well against Australia last year.

Actually, name one England player who played against Australia last year. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

i just don't get all the anti tomkins garbage that gets spouted, sure twice a season i hate sam but for the other 363 i think he is one of only two world class players in super league and love watching him play. when he goes down under their gain will certainly be super leagues loss.

as for sam being a cocky so and so......so was the greatest player i have ever seen......alex murphy.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 18 September 2013 - 10:45 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#29 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'd hardly call his tackling poor. How bad is it compared to other full backs? And under the high ball?

Anonymous last year against the Aussies indeed. We didn't play then last year probably being the main reason for that!

I don't think Billy Slater is a tackle machine but the guy can diffuse just about any bomb and scores amazing tries. Tomkins is of this ilk.

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Is this thread an example of a classic troll?

D'oh, I fell for it too!!!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Even if he is referring to the 2011 4N his opinion is still completely wrong.

#32 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

billy slater is shocking in defence,often late into tackle he slides in with his feet,infact he likes using his feet that much he's started kicking people in the head when he catches high balls....

can't wait till the horrible little man retires!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#33 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Tackling....Danny Brough just ran round him last week. A one on one tackle against hardly the fastest, most elusive player in the SL.

Johnny Wilkinson is on £600K in France.

Where are the big money offers from all these clubs around the world all desperate to have him in the team? Did all the NRL teams bid for him? apologies for 4 Nations slip, it was the year before he was anonymous. I was at Elland Road hoping he'd do something but he didnt. Darren Lockyer in comparison was superb.

I am not anti-Tomkins - genius with the ball if you read it -but when I have watched him, he regularly misses tackles and looks uncertain under high balls.

But let's wait and see how he gets on in the NRL in a mid-table team and how he does the RLWC. If he is fantastic and I hope he is, then I will change my opinion.

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Tomkins is the first British superstar since Hanley IMO. Except for Lee Penny of course.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 18 September 2013 - 06:18 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#35 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Tackling....Danny Brough just ran round him last week. A one on one tackle against hardly the fastest, most elusive player in the SL.

Jonny Wilkinson is on £600K in France.

Where are the big money offers from all these clubs around the world all desperate to have him in the team? Did all the NRL teams bid for him? apologies for 4 Nations slip, it was the year before he was anonymous. I was at Elland Road hoping he'd do something but he didnt. Darren Lockyer in comparison was superb.

I am not anti-Tomkins - genius with the ball if you read it -but when I have watched him, he regularly misses tackles and looks uncertain under high balls.

But let's wait and see how he gets on in the NRL in a mid-table team and how he does the RLWC. If he is fantastic and I hope he is, then I will change my opinion.

Firstly you can't have one incident be the basis of someone's ability in defence. Second if you watch it again Tomkins has to run across from the right and has maybe half a second to get his feet, it was also a brilliant step by Brough. It would of been a wonder tackle by Tomkins rather than a poor mistake if he didn't make it.

600k for Wilkinson is well wasted then and I don't believe that figure anyways do you have a source? Top NRL players will be on near that soon anyways.

The whole England team didn't show up to that tournament anyways. It was also 3 years ago and Sam has majorly improved since then. You are also referring to a tournament where Tony Clubb was the joint top try scorer.

Regarding NRL interest, a lot were put off by his wage demands. NZ Warriors made there interest fairly vocal, a few others have been reported but havent made it as public as NZ.

Right so he's poor because arguably the best half back in the last 20 years had a good game in a dominant side and he had a poor game in a worse side? Thats fair enough.

His tackle success is one of the best for a full back in SL, and if you can find 5 ocassions he has dropped a high ball then I will be surprised. I always ask for one and I never get one. That's this season i am talking about.

Your opinion is your opinion, but it seems rather anti tomkins.

#36 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

My dictionary says a SCUMBAG is a contemptible or objectionable person.

Does this resonate with you Saints 4 Life Fan.

Perhaps you cannot see the irony!!!

#37 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Does anyone remember when people used to put 'tb' at the end of text messages? Well vintage.

Ha love it! used to put that wen I was flexin mi nokia 5110 out. Oldskool :telephone:

#38 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Tomkins is the first British superstar since Hanley IMO. Except for Lee Penny of course.

Lee Penny was a solid, dependable fullback for more than a decade. He never passed in that time, but he didn't drop many bombs. Not sure why he's been namechecked here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#39 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Lee Penny was a solid, dependable fullback for more than a decade. He never passed in that time, but he didn't drop many bombs. Not sure why he's been namechecked here.

To out you as his brother
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#40 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Johnny Wilkinson is on £600K in France.

To be fair he did have the small matter of appearing for the Barbarians at Twickenham to get ready for the week after I think it was. I thought it pretty clear he was not focused in the final at Elland Road in 2011.