Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Turned 40 today - reflective

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

I am surprised at myself that I am in a really sombre and reflective mood at turning 40 today. Didn't think it would bother me at all but the signs have probably been there for a week or two. Got married really young (20) and already have a daughter at university so always saw myself as a 'young dad' etc.

Amazing what a number can do to a mind set.

30 did a little bit (but I still considered myself capable of playing professional sport - if I was discovered! LOL) but not like this. Anyone really struggle with the 30, 40, 50, 60 milestones? Anyone not bothered in the slightest?

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

I am not bothered by numbers or what is expected. I don't act my age; I don't mean in an immature way or a saddo having a midlife crisis style either. I'm nearer 50 than 40 but still have basically the same attitude as I did 30 years ago. ....just with a mortgage etc :)

The day you can put me in the old folks home is when you either hear me say 'That music is too fast/loud' or I start wearing shoes.

And without being morbid, the list of dead people you know grows bigger.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Happy birthday!

I turned 40 two years ago and it didn't bother me in the slightest.  Age is really just a mindset these days, my father-in-law is into his 70s and is very fit and active, my gran is well into her 80s and got a new boyfriend last year!  My gran even went as far as to tell us not to just walk into the house any more when her Stan is there just in case we see something that would scar us for life.  I call in advance now if I'm going round.

The only thing I'm really regretting as I get older is that my body just can't take the knocks any more.  I played an invitational game of union at the end of last season, it wasn't that rough a game but I did put in my fair share of tackles and runs, it took me until the Thursday after the Saturday game before my body stopped aching.  When I was in my early 20s, Sunday was my recovery day, late 20s I may have still ached on the occasional Monday, early 30s Monday was a definite and Tuesday was a no-exercise day.  I'm now into the point where it's just masochism to think I can still play contact sports.

The way I see it is that, serious illness excluded, I've 20-30 years of fitness ahead of me before I need to consider slowing down.  I've made all the big mistakes (I hope) and am still here, I'd assume you've done the same!  You can either look at it as "I'm old and past it" or "I'm now old enough to understand what I like and I'm looking forward to experiencing it".  I've my mental list of places I want to go, things I want to do, skills I want to learn and so on and not a single bit of it is related to work.  For example, I bought myself the full Rosetta Stone course in French as I really want to spend a good bit of time in southern France and want to be at least adept at French before I do so.  I want to spend a month or so in the Scottish Highlands, just walking from wild camp to wild camp.  My list is quite long...

A work colleague of mine in the mid 2000s turned 40, he had a mini-breakdown because it just got to him.  After reflection, he resigned from work, packed up and went to live in the Dominican Republic as a scuba instructor!  Getting to 40 has different effects on different people...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Congratulations.

I've got this to look forward to myself in February.

Well, it is just a number but it does give you cause to reflect on what you have achieved.

I'm hoping that by February I will be in a place where I can say that I've done well despite life's knock-backs and challenges.

#5 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Happy birthday!

40 didn't bother me, but looking back I think 46 was when the wheels began to wobble ha ha

50 was the biggy for me but I think that's more down to t'other half being almost 7 years younger....whilst it could be said I still 'have it' to attract a younger man....the fact he's still in his forties for a while yet was really unnerving ....but then, I took one look at him, reminded myself that he's always looked older than me anyway and thought sod it.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,614 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

today Is the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy it as much as you can , be you 30, 40, 50 or like me 67 1/4. Just got back from fabulous motorbike tour of Ireland.. 13 of us on 10 bikes. mixed ages, 9 bloke, 4 wimmin . ##### BRILLIANT!!!!!

#7 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Your life's in front of you as much as it is behind. Enjoy it!

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Happy birthday! I turn 65 on Monday and have a great life. That said, I, too, felt uneasy when turning 40 and so organised a party to cheer myself up. As it turned out, my relatives ordered me a 20st fairy! Why this birthday put me in a spin heaven knows!  

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#9 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

None of the age milestones bothered me. Turned 50 and other than celebrating with a fab holiday it was just another year for me.

Some people are old at 20, others not so. Got married young, had 2 kids by the age of 26, now they ahve both left home and we enjoy the life we have.

It's not age but health that has the impact, as I got older the need to acknowledge when doing some physical became apparent but nothing has stopped me doing the things I love.

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

As it turned out, my relatives ordered me a 20st fairy!

Unfortunately, Hull were able to offer a 2-year deal so he's gone there instead.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Congratulations. I am in my mid 30s and one thing I have noticed is that by not going out and spending £50 a week on beer I have more money to spend on other, nicer things.

Age is just a number, my dad is 64 and has a very nice pension but he has recently set up a business connected with his passion for Golf. He is not the most savy business man but he can get away with a lot more in meetings than some 20 year upstart as he has the respect of the people he is talking to.

Edited by markleeds, 19 September 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Besides, I won't complain about reaching 50, 60 or whatever. It's *not* reaching them that is the worry. :(

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#13 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I can't remember how I felt on my 40th birthday but then that was over 34 years ago. I was fine being 73 because in a strange sort of way I  can remember happily living at 73 Horace Street in St Helens back in the Swinging Sixties. But now that I am 74 I have finally come to accept that I have just entered the second half of my life but it won't stop me writing another novel just like Saint Billinge said that I would do.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#14 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

You young thing!

Age is what you make it. I'm currently dating a guy 11 years your senior and I'm only 32. He is as vibrant and young as anyone in their 20s, just perhaps a little wiser. Sometimes, he makes me feel old!

It's all in the mind, so don't stress and just get on with enjoying life. :-)

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Unfortunately, Hull were able to offer a 2-year deal so he's gone there instead.

It was a she dressed in pink and made me collapse when she sat on my knee!  :tongue:

#16 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

I hit that milestone last year ... my father died when he was 39 so it was a very strange experience to have outlived him.  It also reminded me of my own mortality and that I shold try and get more out of life.  So it was his death and not the turning 40 that had an emotional impact.

You're now middle-aged ... how does that label feel? :tongue:  

Just try to stay active ... just from looking around me it appears one can either take the high road (health and fitness) or the low road (bad health, weight issues etc) and the middle ground becomes harder to maintain... a lot of my colleagues are on the low road that's for sure.

#17 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

I can't remember how I felt on my 40th birthday but then that was over 34 years ago. I was fine being 73 because in a strange sort of way I  can remember happily living at 73 Horace Street in St Helens back in the Swinging Sixties. But now that I am 74 I have finally come to accept that I have just entered the second half of my life but it won't stop me writing another novel just like Saint Billinge said that I would do.

Once lived at 77 Horace Street in the Fifties aged five. I remember scary faces at the top of the stairs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users