Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chuffin Nora

Is this for real?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Got my breath back now... I think he may well come out looking good at the end of the World Cup.. You may well ask Why?

My answer is - I think that he probably has the best squad to pick from in quite a long time. If he selects all the Australian based England players they will immediately bring the benfit of a more advanced fitness regime plus the skills added since they got there.

Add to that mix the players we have here - we some fantastic backs - we are almost able to name a very strong 14/15 man squad.

It may be my imagination - but I feel real progress has been made.

So I think if we do well - it will be down to the quality of players available and their own motivation - rather than anything SM is capable of..

Of course there is the strong possibility he will place many players into unfamiliar roles/positions - and we get absolutely stuffed.

Anyway - enough of him - I've got tickets for nearly all the games - can't wait :biggrin:

I am sure I am being thick here, but why do the Aussies have more advanced fitness regimes?

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

I am sure I am being thick here, but why do the Aussies have more advanced fitness regimes?

Finances
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well just one example;

At the top clubs - for every training session all players are wired up and monitored for a variety of preset levels. Failure to reach them means failure to play in the first team and signifies a drop off in effort.

A lot of attention to detail - and of course it costs money!

If you look at the Burgess boys - their phsysique has visibly changed since arriving there.. its a pity thats the case.  Since full time on these shores we have tried to catch up - but not yet done so..

#24 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Finances

But the extra money only came into the aussie game recently, no? If we were richer, why weren't we ahead of the curve?

#25 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

But the extra money only came into the aussie game recently, no? If we were richer, why weren't we ahead of the curve?

Look, the Aussies are always bigger, better, stronger, faster, more elusive, better catchers of a ball, more advanced, have better coaches, better ball handling skills, better facilities, more efficiient sun cream - I thought everyone knew that. Either that, or maybe some people just love being negative all the time....

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#26 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Perhaps we might find out soon. The world cup could be very interesting.

#27 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Well just one example;

At the top clubs - for every training session all players are wired up and monitored for a variety of preset levels. Failure to reach them means failure to play in the first team and signifies a drop off in effort.

If you look at the Burgess boys - their phsysique has visibly changed since arriving there.. its a pity thats the case.  Since full time on these shores we have tried to catch up - but not yet done so..

good post add gareth ellis to that as well he looks a lot bigger than before he went down under.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

good post add gareth ellis to that as well he looks a lot bigger than before he went down under.

He also looks broken.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Poor drug testing .

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#30 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

brian Mcdermott will be the next england boss.....

Yep I think B Mc is great but just shows how fickle we fans are.... I remember when he first became head coach at Leeds... listening to the comments and yes some boo's early in his first season..

hence I always treat anything from us fans with a high degree of amusement at how quickly earlier opinions can be so easily forgotten...

#31 bimbo101

bimbo101
  • Coach
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

It's not really a huge gamble, either for McNamara or the eels though is it? They've just got their second successive wooden spoon so McNamara can't take them any lower. Maybe he'll build a team around Sir Kev, and World Cup winning coach and captain will put Jack Gibson's achievements in the shade.

If anyone can take them any lower Mcbanana's just the coach to do it for Parra.

#32 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Yep I think B Mc is great but just shows how fickle we fans are.... I remember when he first became head coach at Leeds... listening to the comments and yes some boo's early in his first season..

hence I always treat anything from us fans with a high degree of amusement at how quickly earlier opinions can be so easily forgotten...

Some people (a vocal minority, but still a few. Nobody on here though) have still been calling for him to go THIS season when Leeds were in a bit of a rut. Some people just can't be told though!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

If anyone can take them any lower Mcbanana's just the coach to do it for Parra.

juvenile ######, thicko101

#34 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well just one example;

The monitoring I always understood that Leeds do it too and hence assumed all SL teams do.  So I can't see that being a major difference.  

I always assumed that the Aussies put more emphasis on Physique plus specific parts of the body then here. Otherwise as it isn't rocket science you would see same sort of physiques here but for whatever reason we don't focus on that or our "supplement" diets are different.