Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Drunk Tanks

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Why punish those that can drink sensibly.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Is that a proposal? To punish those who don't get drunk, don't vomit over people, don't assault people, don't cause criminal damage and don't cost us a fortune to police?

#23 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

I watched Bouncers again last night. There seems to be this attitude that, that is how people get so accept it. Most, if not all of the people "featured" were hell bent on getting in a state, mainly caused by treble vodka's and shots.

I've never had the need to get that p*ssed that quick, I like to feel the alcohol coming on so I know when to stop. In my youth pubs served at that pace, roughly a pint every half hour or so, until after about 4 hours it was kicking out time and we could make it home safely.

A treble vodka and a shot will allow you to consume alcohol at a rate 4 to 5 times faster. 

What we need therefore is a more responsible attitude to selling alcohol such as strong powerful bye laws that are enforced. If people are still hell bent on becoming a nuisance under these circumstances then it is clearly a job for the police, not a situation to be mopped up by pofiteers. 

#24 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

I watched Bouncers again last night. There seems to be this attitude that, that is how people get so accept it. Most, if not all of the people "featured" were hell bent on getting in a state, mainly caused by treble vodka's and shots.

I've never had the need to get that p*ssed that quick, I like to feel the alcohol coming on so I know when to stop. In my youth pubs served at that pace, roughly a pint every half hour or so, until after about 4 hours it was kicking out time and we could make it home safely.

A treble vodka and a shot will allow you to consume alcohol at a rate 4 to 5 times faster.

What we need therefore is a more responsible attitude to selling alcohol such as strong powerful bye laws that are enforced. If people are still hell bent on becoming a nuisance under these circumstances then it is clearly a job for the police, not a situation to be mopped up by pofiteers.

I agree and a responsible attitude to serving alcohol works. Take the Ale Train, this degenerated into a big pizz up. So the pubs stopped serving lager and shots during the day and (allegedly) things have calmed down, and it has gone back to sensible drinker sampling the varied real ales on offer.

May someone on here who lives on this line can comment

Not all drunkeness results in aggro

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 20 September 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Is that a proposal? To punish those who don't get drunk, don't vomit over people, don't assault people, don't cause criminal damage and don't cost us a fortune to police?

If someone who doesn't earn loads of money, wants to go for a couple of drinks with his wife or mates, why should it be put out of his price range because some others csnt handle their drink? Why not, (and this might sound draconian or something) punish the people who *do* cause the trouble properly instead of the joke slap on the wrist they get now?

#26 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I agree and a responsible attitude to serving alcohol works. Take the Ale Train, this degenerated into a big pizz up. So the pubs stopped serving lager and shots during the day and (allegedly) things have calmed down, and it has gone back to sensible drinker sampling the varied real ales on offer.

May someone on here who lives on this line can comment

I live on the Ale Trail line and thankfully, the changes have pretty much killed it off.  It's gone from hundreds of people dressed as bananas jumping in the river, back to how it started - a handful of beardy types enjoying some genuinely great beer in some really nice pubs.

It's been a while since anyone ###### through a letterbox or burst into an unsuspecting person's living room demanding a drink, so I think it's agreed that the changes have been successful.

I think the pubs made a lot of money over the past few years, but it had to stop - it was making the village a no-go area on a Saturday.  And given the apparent propensity for young drunk men dressed as Fred Flintstone to run across train tracks in front of express trains it was only going to be a matter of time before someone was killed.

That's me.  I'm done.

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

To just add to this, the Ale Train was heavily promoted by the pubs involved (even though they took to denying this), and it was only when an orchestrated local campaign began to organise that they backed down and called it off.   They were making a lot of money out of the mayhem and I don't think they deserve too much credit in the matter given the extent that they allowed it to escalate in the first place.

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Easy bring back a set opening and closing times and make it £5 a can and £60 a bottle of wine/spirits from supermarkets.

Could not agree more.

High minimum pricing for off-licence sales, and strict application of the law for landlords who allow drunkenness on their premises.

That's me.  I'm done.

#29 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

So with the Ale train the problem wasn't solved by rounding up the drunks and putting away for the night. It was solved by a concerted effort by the residents (backed by the council?) to rein in the licensed premises.

So here is an example if what to do. We digused from tunbrigde wells starts to rant. The solution is to put more pressure on the licensed trade to combat it.

There is a rider here in that it will impact the profits if the pubs and clubs, and they will use all their influence to put the blame on the drinker.

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Could not agree more.

High minimum pricing for off-licence sales, and strict application of the law for landlords who allow drunkenness on their premises.

Again, why punish the casual drinker who might enjoy a bottle with his meal or a few glasses on a Saturday night alongside the pass artists who go crazy?

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

If someone who doesn't earn loads of money, wants to go for a couple of drinks with his wife or mates, why should it be put out of his price range because some others csnt handle their drink? Why not, (and this might sound draconian or something) punish the people who *do* cause the trouble properly instead of the joke slap on the wrist they get now?

I  agree entirely.  As I understood it though, there are no plans to penalise people in this way. I thought the idea was to dump the drunken louts in the tank  and make them pay.

#32 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I agree entirely. As I understood it though, there are no plans to penalise people in this way. I thought the idea was to dump the drunken louts in the tank and make them pay.

Yes but all this will do is create profit for third parties . Either tell the police that keeping law and order is part of there job - what we pay out taxes for... OR tackle the problem with responsible sales of alcohol. Just treating the symptom will never solve the issue ( but it will make some people rich)

I don't think raising the price will solve this problem, it will only penalise those on lower incomes.

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yes but all this will do is create profit for third parties . Either tell the police that keeping law and order is part of there job - what we pay out taxes for... OR tackle the problem with responsible sales of alcohol. Just treating the symptom will never solve the issue ( but it will make some people rich)

I don't think raising the price will solve this problem, it will only penalise those on lower incomes.

tell the police that keeping law and order is part of there job - what we pay out taxes for..

good luck with that approach!

#34 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Again, why punish the casual drinker who might enjoy a bottle with his meal or a few glasses on a Saturday night alongside the pass artists who go crazy?

The casual drinker can have his casual drink in the pub.

That's me.  I'm done.

#35 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

So with the Ale train the problem wasn't solved by rounding up the drunks and putting away for the night. It was solved by a concerted effort by the residents (backed by the council?) to rein in the licensed premises.

Exactly.

People who sell drink have a duty to sell it responsibly.  That is everyone from the landlord of your local club, right through to Tesco.

That's me.  I'm done.

#36 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

The problems with alcohol in this country are, as I understand it, the binge drinking on a weekend by people under 25 and the heavy regular drinking at home by middle aged people who slip into a habit of knocking back a bottle of wine a night.    On top of this, you have big problems in the pub industry.

I like pubs, I like to go to pubs.  I want pubs to still be around in 100 years.   The licensing laws should make it cheaper to buy a unit of alcohol in a pub than in a supermarket.

I totally agree that in a civilised world someone who doesn't earn a loads of money who wants to go for a couple of drinks with his wife or mates should be able to do just that.    That's why, if I were King, I'd set minimum alcohol pricing much higher for off-licence sales than on-licence.

That's me.  I'm done.

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

The casual drinker can have his casual drink in the pub.

At about a tenner a pint or whatever? Raising the prices (even more) will only hit the lower paid. Drinks are not exactly cheap in clubs today yet it doesn't stop young people hurling it down their necks. (And I don't mean drink all you can for a tenner style nights either)

#38 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

At about a tenner a pint or whatever? Raising the prices (even more) will only hit the lower paid. Drinks are not exactly cheap in clubs today yet it doesn't stop young people hurling it down their necks. (And I don't mean drink all you can for a tenner style nights either)

Have you actually read any of my comments on this thread?

At what point did I say "a tenner a pint"?      The average cost of a pint in a pub is about three quid now but in Sainsbury's you can buy a pint of Wifebeater Stella for about a quid.   To me, that's completely the wrong way round. 

Get the drinkers back into pubs by flexing the duty to make drinking at home expensive and drinking in pubs cheaper and then make the landlord responsible for keeping his pub properly, that's what should happen.

That's me.  I'm done.

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Marauder said '£5 a can and £60 a bottle of wine/spirits' to which you strongly agreed. That would put it beyond the reach of almost everyone but it would not stop determined drinkers getting hammered on brasso or toilet duck. It would only stop the average punter drinking.

But I actually agree with you on the idea of being cheaper in pubs than shops.

Edited by Johnoco, 20 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#40 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Marauder said '£5 a can and £60 a bottle of wine/spirits' to which you strongly agreed. That would put it beyond the reach of almost everyone but it would not stop determined drinkers getting hammered on brasso or toilet duck. It would only stop the average punter drinking.

But I actually agree with you on the idea of being cheaper in pubs than shops.

I do strongly agree with the concept - we can argue about the price points.  I'd actually like to see the cost of beer in a pub reduced.

When was the last time you bought a can of beer in a pub BTW?  

The Scottish are aiming for 50p per unit, which is about £15 for a bottle of spirits, and £4.50 for wine.   I see that as a reasonable minimum in a pub, and I'd drop the duty to help get it there.  

I'd go for £1 per unit in the off-licence trade and use duty to make it happen.   That would make the three litre box of teeth stripping plonk so beloved of middle class people about £40 or £50 a pop.    One happy side effect of this might be that people start drinking decent wine instead of rits pass because the price difference would be less.

That's me.  I'm done.