Drunk Tanks

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Have you actually read any of my comments on this thread?

At what point did I say "a tenner a pint"?      The average cost of a pint in a pub is about three quid now but in Sainsbury's you can buy a pint of Wifebeater Stella for about a quid.   To me, that's completely the wrong way round. 

Get the drinkers back into pubs by flexing the duty to make drinking at home expensive and drinking in pubs cheaper and then make the landlord responsible for keeping his pub properly, that's what should happen.

This is something I have suggested that CAMRA start to campaign on but they continually avoid this issue, why can't there be a higher duty for off sales.

Cheap shots etc in pubs is just as irresponsible as the supermarket offers, the difference with the supermarket offers is the consequences are always far away from the point of sale, therefore diluting the responsibility of the licensee.

Also I would like to return of alcohol being sold separately from the main food area. In the past if a supermarket sold alcohol it was in a separate area. The current system makes it all too easy to put a bottle or three of discounted wine in the trolley as you pass by. However the big supermarkets are to powerful politically and will stop anything that will affect their profits.

I've probably got more chance ask the the police to keep law and order.

#42 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Marauder said '£5 a can and £60 a bottle of wine/spirits' to which you strongly agreed. That would put it beyond the reach of almost everyone but it would not stop determined drinkers getting hammered on brasso or toilet duck. It would only stop the average punter drinking.

Last point on this - people who drink Brasso are probably beyond help.  The real problem is people who think it's harmless to come home and drink a bottle of Echo Falls in front of the TV every night.

I very rarely drink at home, but that is unusual.  Most of my friends will sink 5-10 bottles a week between two people.

That's me.  I'm done.

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I bought a can of crappy lager at the Willows for about £3 a couple of years back. No wonder it closed down.

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Last point on this - people who drink Brasso are probably beyond help. The real problem is people who think it's harmless to come home and drink a bottle of Echo Falls in front of the TV every night.

I very rarely drink at home, but that is unusual. Most of my friends will sink 5-10 bottles a week between two people.

I rarely drink at home now but used to drink quite a bit.

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Last point on this - people who drink Brasso are probably beyond help.  The real problem is people who think it's harmless to come home and drink a bottle of Echo Falls in front of the TV every night.

I very rarely drink at home, but that is unusual.  Most of my friends will sink 5-10 bottles a week between two people.

Is it really a problem?

They aren't the guys smashing up the town. If it is bad for their health then that's their risk to take.

#46 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Is it really a problem?

They aren't the guys smashing up the town. If it is bad for their health then that's their risk to take.

And the rest of us to pay for...

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Where does that argument stop though?

Drinking? Self inflicted
Smoking? Self inflicted
Obese? Self inflicted
Broken leg/arm playing sport? Self inflicted
Stuck up a mountain or a pothole? Self inflicted

Etc etc
We all pay NI, so give us the treatment when we need it.
How much has the NHS wasted on IT systems or waste of space management?

#48 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

That's one of the reasons why alcohol is taxed quite heavily along with ciggies.

Doughnuts, on the hand, never seem to get brought up in this kind of argument.

#49 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Is it really a problem?

I agree. There are 2 separate issues, one regarding our health and the other regarding the effects on society of selling and purchasing alcohol irresponsibly.

Unfortunately the government would rather lock us up than have a minimum price and sensible opening hours.

One other thing is that I don't believe buying cheap Stella in Asda is the problem. It's the cheap bottles of fake and smuggled vodka you get in corner shops.

#50 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

What's the problem?

#51 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Unfortunately the government would rather lock us up than have a minimum price and sensible opening hours..

Plenty of people manage to go out, act responsibly and not cause social disruption. I think locking people up for potentially ruining evenings or even the lives of others is perfectly acceptable.

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

Is it really a problem?

Excessive home drinking isn't necessarily good for the other people in the house.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#53 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Plenty of people manage to go out, act responsibly and not cause social disruption. I think locking people up for potentially ruining evenings or even the lives of others is perfectly acceptable.

so do I

#54 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Excessive home drinking isn't necessarily good for the other people in the house.

But it's not the point of the thread either, unless we consider installing a drunk tank under the stairs.

#55 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Are you trying to tell us that your Mrs hogs all the drink in your house? ;)

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Are you trying to tell us that your Mrs hogs all the drink in your house? ;)

She don't touch my Babycham,

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#57 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Drunk Tanks would make a brilliant Disney Animation much better than Planes.

28m391z.jpg

#58 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well Done!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users