Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hornets stirred by chance of final glory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hornets stirred by chance of final glory

By Liam Williams

Rochdale will discover the identity of their Kingstone Press Championship One Grand Final opponents on Sunday when Oldham take on London Skolars in the final play-off eliminator, but Hornets half-back Steve Roper says his side will be confident whoever they face.
The Hornets made the final in dramatic fashion with a 23-22 victory over local rivals Oldham last week, a win which means they have already beaten both potential opponents in their play-offs, and Roper is in confident spirits ahead of the final.
“We put in a good effort to beat London and Oldham, so we’re not bothered who we play. Obviously getting those results gives you confidence,” said Roper.
“Anything can happen in a final, but form is definitely important. You want to be going into these games in the best frame of mind possible with momentum behind you which we will be.
“We made the semi-finals last year and the year before, so it’s nice to get over that hurdle and make it to the final. Now that we’ve got to this stage we know we can win, it’s just about going out there on the day and doing it.
“Winning promotion would be massive for us. I’ve been here over five years now, so I’ve got to know the fans really well, and I know how much promotion will mean to them, especially considering how close we are to it.”
Victory over Oldham earned the Hornets a week off from competition but Roper insists the squad will not be relaxing too much ahead of finals day on September 29.
“We’re all going out for a meal at the weekend with our wives and girlfriends as a bit of a team bonding session which we’re looking forward to,” he said.
“But we’ll still be training, doing a bit of rehab and watching some videos and we’ll be fully focused again next week on preparing for the game and we’ll be ready for it.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Happy days.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#3 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

If Saints lose to Leeds this weekend I wonder how many of their players they will then release to Hornets to play in their GF ?

Not exactly fair to their opponenets if Hornets could field Lomax, Swift, Makinson, Turner & Jones in the backs and Roby, Walmsley, LMS, Wilkin, Greenwood & Walker in the forwards.

It could show the DR system to be the complete mockery that most of us know it is already !!!

#4 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

You clearly have no understanding i) of how DR works and ii) how our deal with Saints works.

DR players have to have played a minimum of 10 games in the regular season to qualify for the playoffs - even my cat knew that. We have a couple of DR lads who've played over a dozen games for us this season.

Oldham have a couple of Salford lads who've played a similar number (their leading scorer this season is a Salford player) and Skolars have a couple of Broncos players.

Get over yourself.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#5 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

That's the best thing I've read all day! :-D

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#6 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Momentum behind? Indeed. The week off always helps momentum. It's the momentum rule.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users