RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Irelands World Cup Squad

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Anyone have any ideas who is likely to be in their squad. Are there many Australian based in the team.

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Pat Richards/Superman. That's all they'll need.
  • Pie tries likes this

#3 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Ryan Tandy and Damian Blanch maybe

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Ryan Tandy and Damian Blanch maybe

I'm pretty sure Ryan Tandy is serving a life ban.

#5 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm pretty sure Ryan Tandy is serving a life ban.

Been playing in france for PIA this season think he,s just banned from playing in Australia

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Anyone have any ideas who is likely to be in their squad. Are there many Australian based in the team.

More Australians than actual Irishmen.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

More Australians than actual Irishmen.

Have they got any New Zealanders in the squad?

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Kyle Amor should be in there. The Grix brothers too. I'd be surprised if there are too many bolters in the squad as I doubt the Irish have got the resources to research and then persuade unknown Irish qualified players from the NRL to join their squad.

Great game when they played Samoa in 2008 & England in 2000, so hopefully there will be some more good memories from Ireland this time too.

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Kyle Amor should be in there. The Grix brothers too. I'd be surprised if there are too many bolters in the squad as I doubt the Irish have got the resources to research and then persuade unknown Irish qualified players from the NRL to join their squad.

Great game when they played Samoa in 2008 & England in 2000, so hopefully there will be some more good memories from Ireland this time too.

The problem is they never seem to kick on domestically on the back of these WC displays.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

The problem is they never seem to kick on domestically on the back of these WC displays.

It'll be a slow process in Ireland. I guess with what they have got, you would try and get their community clubs solid enough and then build a youth structure below that. That'll take time & money and whilst there is plenty of time, I'm not sure there is much money!

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Has there ever been a serious five/six nations tge year after the world cup? If there was maybe theyd retain the bulk of the WC squad and then give England close games like they did in 2000. I often wonder if we'd have lost the 2000WC quarter if it had been in Dublin

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Has there ever been a serious five/six nations tge year after the world cup? If there was maybe theyd retain the bulk of the WC squad and then give England close games like they did in 2000. I often wonder if we'd have lost the 2000WC quarter if it had been in Dublin

There is a new structure being discussed for international rugby league in the northern hemisphere. It sounded like a Davis Cup scenario, but we need more details.

I'd favour groups of 4 to give three games each season. Bottom of the group gets relegated, with matches to be played over the summer ahead of the autumn internationals.

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

There is a new structure being discussed for international rugby league in the northern hemisphere. It sounded like a Davis Cup scenario, but we need more details.

I'd favour groups of 4 to give three games each season. Bottom of the group gets relegated, with matches to be played over the summer ahead of the autumn internationals.

I proposed something like that about ten years ago.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Liam Finn is the captain, I'm sure there'll be a fair few other semi pros too

#15 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Liam Finn is the captain, I'm sure there'll be a fair few other semi pros too

liam harrison should be in the squad, barrow player, brother of ben.

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

dave allen, kurt haggery, eamon o'carroll................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#17 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Tyrone McCarthy.

With regard to Australians... Brett White? Josh Toole?

#18 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

James Mendieka

#19 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

George Flanagan would be a good call for Ireland. Can't see him getting s look in, though.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users