Now the QRL embarrasses the RFL

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

The RFL wants to shrink the game in this country to North of the Trent, and in the meantime look whats happening in Australia.

http://www.courierma...r-1226722324462

Edited by The Future is League, 20 September 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

you do know they added 3 new teams from hemel,oxford & Gloucestershire to the league this year don't you??,championship RL is played in all four corners of the country...as well as 2 clubs in wales....

hardly shrinking the game to north of the trent is it!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

you do know they added 3 new teams from hemel,oxford & Gloucestershire to the league this year don't you??,championship RL is played in all four corners of the country...as well as 2 clubs in wales....

hardly shrinking the game to north of the trent is it!

I think you will find that these wheels were set in motion when Richard Lewes was at Red Hall. I have no confidence in the people who are in power at Red Hall today.

I hope they prove me wrong, but alas i don't think they will. I'm not saying that everything Richard Lewes done in his time at the RFL was good, but he had far more vision that the people there today. The funny part is that when people use to put the boot into the people at the RFL i always defended the RFL. The way the game is being run in this country at the moment i have switched sides. I can't defend the short sightedness of the present incumbents. I stick by my prediction a little while back that in less than 10 years that Super League will be a semi pro competition, and that there will be no semi pro clubs south of the trent.

#4 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

The NRL signed a Billion dollar TV deal last year....it's hardly fair to compare the make up of their game to what we have.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think you will find that these wheels were set in motion when Richard Lewes was at Red Hall. I have no confidence in the people who are in power at Red Hall today.
I hope they prove me wrong, but alas i don't think they will. I'm not saying that everything Richard Lewes done in his time at the RFL was good, but he had far more vision that the people there today. The funny part is that when people use to put the boot into the people at the RFL i always defended the RFL. The way the game is being run in this country at the moment i have switched sides. I can't defend the short sightedness of the present incumbents. I stick by my prediction a little while back that in less than 10 years that Super League will be a semi pro competition, and that there will be no semi pro clubs south of the trent.

its richard lewis btw....

anyway.....so when a nigel wood led RFL instates clubs from coventry,edinburgh,bristol etc.....who you gonna whinge about then??

OLDHAM RLFC

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

The RFL wants to shrink the game in this country to North of the Trent, and in the meantime look whats happening in Australia.
http://www.courierma...r-1226722324462

"One of the conditions is that this does not cost us, because quite simply we cannot afford to expand right now. PNG will pay their own way."

So, they're not doing much really. The club and the country's government are paying for everything!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Well I also note they have the same debate as we do here as in expansion v current clubs,,,,,

"The club group want stability around the competition and the current clubs before any expansion takes place,” he said.

"We want to make sure the current clubs are looked after before we look at a PNG team. We aren’t against PNG at all, but our first priority is to stabilise the clubs and ensure their sustainability.”

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Lewis didn't stop Crusaders leaving SL either.

People IMO put too much emphasis on a leader's personality when analysing decisions. The reality is that the RFL doesn't have the cash to save Broncos as a SL side and the other SL clubs aren't keen on bankrupting themselves over the issue. It wouldn't make much difference who was running the RFL, the decision they would make is probably the same - the realities on the ground would not have changed.

Before we create "the cult of Richard Lewis" to rival that of Mo Lindsay, perhaps we could consider that other expansion sides have entered NFP / NL2 / CC1 / KPC1 long before he was involved with the game. I'm not sure he was running the show when the last side (Skolars) joined.

#9 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

i Can honestly see the top Superleague clubs breaking away from the shambles that are the RFL in its current form. Credit for growing the game, but as good as it is to see Hemel, the All golds, Oxford in the comp, by their own admission, the quality of play has suffered as a result, added to this, Oxford seem to have just imported half of the Blackpool Panthers team, again, not a huge issue for me, but it isnt exactly expansion in its truest form is it?

I honestly dont think that the current RFL know how to run a competition at the top level,  they are trying in earnest to grow at a lower level, but reducing the quality of play in the process, all the time, out showcase competition is looking less and less attractive to the wider public, there is no brand control, no progressive growth or strategic commercial growth as there was under Richard LEWIS (Just to keep the grammar nazis at bay)

The RFL is becoming more and more insular in my opinion (in terms of idea sharing and collective growth), and this is a dangerous trend, especially with rumours that there will be no French teams in the Challenge cup next year. The reality is, taking things in house and looking after your own means that countries like France, who could legitimately add value to a competition are left out, setting back international competition and the overall perception of the game from the wider viewer.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

its not the RFL's job too look after france

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Well I also note they have the same debate as we do here as in expansion v current clubs,,,,,

"The club group want stability around the competition and the current clubs before any expansion takes place,” he said.

"We want to make sure the current clubs are looked after before we look at a PNG team. We aren’t against PNG at all, but our first priority is to stabilise the clubs and ensure their sustainability.”

People get called flat cappers and are lumped in with the Sid and Doris Bonkers mob for holding this entirely sensible viewpoint in the UK

#12 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

The RFL is becoming more and more insular in my opinion (in terms of idea sharing and collective growth), and this is a dangerous trend, especially with rumours that there will be no French teams in the Challenge cup next year. The reality is, taking things in house and looking after your own means that countries like France, who could legitimately add value to a competition are left out, setting back international competition and the overall perception of the game from the wider viewer.

Surely they could only legitimately add value to a competition if they can indeed compete?

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

i Can honestly see the top Superleague clubs breaking away from the shambles that are the RFL in its current form. Credit for growing the game, but as good as it is to see Hemel, the All golds, Oxford in the comp, by their own admission, the quality of play has suffered as a result, added to this, Oxford seem to have just imported half of the Blackpool Panthers team, again, not a huge issue for me, but it isnt exactly expansion in its truest form is it?

I honestly dont think that the current RFL know how to run a competition at the top level,  they are trying in earnest to grow at a lower level, but reducing the quality of play in the process, all the time, out showcase competition is looking less and less attractive to the wider public, there is no brand control, no progressive growth or strategic commercial growth as there was under Richard LEWIS (Just to keep the grammar nazis at bay)

Oldham?

#14 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

its not the RFL's job too look after france

Yeah, exactly the attitude that stifles the game, same people who think Oldham are a legitimate chance for anything. 

Lets have a league involving only teams from the oldham area, then wonder why no one else actually gives a ###### about the game, and spend decades whinging about how we are hard done by. mate, you are an idiot. Its everyones job to improve and grow our game, you represent the opposite attitude of the expansive forefathers who invented and spread our game to the other side of the world, it wasnt Frances job to invent international interest by creating the first rugby world cup, but they did it, but i suppose thats nothing to do with a small town in manchester so you dont care.

#15 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, exactly the attitude that stifles the game, same people who think Oldham are a legitimate chance for anything. 

Lets have a league involving only teams from the oldham area, then wonder why no one else actually gives a ###### about the game, and spend decades whinging about how we are hard done by. mate, you are an idiot. Its everyones job to improve and grow our game, you represent the opposite attitude of the expansive forefathers who invented and spread our game to the other side of the world, it wasnt Frances job to invent international interest by creating the first rugby world cup, but they did it, but i suppose thats nothing to do with a small town in manchester so you dont care.

I am not sure sure how entrusting national governing bodies with running their own structures and teams is stifling the game. If anything it will liberate it. RFL and ARL have been meddling with very little success. FRance's golden period occurred with little help from the RFL. There is already a governing body responsible for developing the game beyond national boundaries and that is the organisation that should be driving that. THe RFL has a lot on it's agenda already. 

So there was no interest in international RL prior to the first WC ? The event was done purely for selfish reasons namely generating money and had absolutely nothing to do with "creating International Interest". It is not the responsibility of the RFL to develop French RL france has it's own governing body to do that. Your apporach will not create sustainable expansion.

As for the "expansive forefathers" stuff, that is your own invention because history contradicts that. By your own defintion GAA was expansive.

How did athletics, football, cricket,  tennis, gold expand ? Certainly not using the doomed approach you are suggesting.

Edited by dhw, 20 September 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#16 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

shut up you plum.....you know cock all about what ive fought & campaigned for...especially involving international RL......

it is'nt the RFLs job to look after france!! thats down to the french,the RLEF,which the RFL have bankrolled since 2003 btw its only been the last couple of years the RFL stopped ploughing money in cos the RLEF sort fubds from elsewhere, and the RLIF......not the bleeding RFL....

######

PS....wtf has oldham got to do with this??? cos ive thats the best come back you've got i'll gladly destroy every argument you put forward sunshine

Edited by roughyedspud, 20 September 2013 - 12:54 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#17 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

"One of the conditions is that this does not cost us, because quite simply we cannot afford to expand right now. PNG will pay their own way". I'm a bit shocked by that, how on earth can't we afford the cost of a PNG team?

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

they reckon its costs a minimum of $15m per season to run a NRL team.....then factor in the reserves,costs of a new stadium,travel etc....

cost a hell of alot...

they had a team in the QLD CUP a few years ago but they could'nt afford to run it iirc

OLDHAM RLFC

#19 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

shut up you plum.....you know cock all about what ive fought & campaigned for...especially involving international RL......

it is'nt the RFLs job to look after france!! thats down to the french,the RLEF,which the RFL have bankrolled since 2003 btw its only been the last couple of years the RFL stopped ploughing money in cos the RLEF sort fubds from elsewhere, and the RLIF......not the bleeding RFL....

######

PS....wtf has oldham got to do with this??? cos ive thats the best come back you've got i'll gladly destroy every argument you put forward sunshine

So going back to my point, you think that the RFL has no obligation to grow the game internationally? and you dont think the game will struggle for improved public perception, increased revenue oppurtunities and will have a multitude of nations to play against at the highest level.

SO what if the RLC and NZRL take the same attitude towards the English? you think the game will prosper? what about if they neglected the Islands, said no to hosting the Tonga v Samoa game, you think thats the way to go?

Mate, you need to drop that chip off your shoulder, I don't care what you have fought for, I really don't, but saying that a governing body has no obligation to grow the game and create interest further afield is quite frankly idiotic.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

So going back to my point, you think that the RFL has no obligation to grow the game internationally? and you dont think the game will struggle for improved public perception, increased revenue oppurtunities and will have a multitude of nations to play against at the highest level.

SO what if the RLC and NZRL take the same attitude towards the English? you think the game will prosper? what about if they neglected the Islands, said no to hosting the Tonga v Samoa game, you think thats the way to go?

Mate, you need to drop that chip off your shoulder, I don't care what you have fought for, I really don't, but saying that a governing body has no obligation to grow the game and create interest further afield is quite frankly idiotic.

THe governing body may have an interest in growing the game overseas but it does not have an obligation to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users