Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Now the QRL embarrasses the RFL

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

So going back to my point, you think that the RFL has no obligation to grow the game internationally? and you dont think the game will struggle for improved public perception, increased revenue oppurtunities and will have a multitude of nations to play against at the highest level.

SO what if the RLC and NZRL take the same attitude towards the English? you think the game will prosper? what about if they neglected the Islands, said no to hosting the Tonga v Samoa game, you think thats the way to go?

Mate, you need to drop that chip off your shoulder, I don't care what you have fought for, I really don't, but saying that a governing body has no obligation to grow the game and create interest further afield is quite frankly idiotic.

the RFL has done more than any other governing body to grow the game internationally!! especially since setting up & funding the RLEF since 2003....

as for what the RLC & NZRL have done...hahaha you clueless prat! anyone with any idea about international RL knows the aussies & kiwis have done little to nothing in terms of developing international RL in the pacific....i point you to the fact you can count the number of tests the pacific island nations have played since the world cup on your FINGERS!!! where as the celtic nations & france,led by the RLEF & RFL,have played close to 60 tests!!!!

so when you know what you are talking about come back with a better argument pal!

Edited by roughyedspud, 20 September 2013 - 11:39 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#22 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

So you are saying that the rfl and Rlef are one and the same, with the rfl bankrolling them and all, but they should stop that, it's not their issue.

And it's funny you mention the nzrl, half if my team here have been involved in Samoa development camps I the past month, something the nzrl actively encourages here in NZ. That said, my point was the damage that would be suffered by the British game of the nzrl or rlc closed shop on them, but you must have been a bit busy deciding which toys to throw out of the pram next.

I'd also argue your point about the rfl doing more to develop international league than anyone else, firstly, your point was that it's not the RFLs job to do this, then you try to throw the progressive argument back at me, choose a side mate, you are arguing with yourself now.
I'd say that the French by creating meaningful international competition, or te all golds by bringing the game to the Southern Hemisphere have done more to develop the game than the rfl, I mean they only ended up with the nrl didn't they, or was that something the rfl did?

My standpoint on this I that the rfl have done a lot to develop the game at grass roots in Europe an they must continue to do, if they don't help to develop legitimate competition, they will have no one to compete against and will be back to being percieved as a sport played in northern English villages. That's the reality of the direction they seem to be taking.

#23 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

When those who criticise the rfl for not paying to expand start to attend international games, magic weekend etc giving the rfl funds to support expansion then fair enough. But at present I am not sure where this magical fund comes from that people keep talking about to under pin London

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

So you are saying that the rfl and Rlef are one and the same, with the rfl bankrolling them and all, but they should stop that, it's not their issue.

upto until a couple of years ago yes they did bankroll the RLEF,but one of richard lewis' last jobs as head of the RLEF he opened it up to become a true european body,which has helped it gain funds from the european union...so the RFL does'nt have to bankroll it...the RFL has'nt closed the shop...what its done has put the RLEF in a position where it can run itself and is more than adequate in doing it without the RFL sitting on its shoulder anymore...THATS WHY ITS NOT THEIR JOB ANYMORE!

like i said you really don't know what you are talking about lol

Edited by roughyedspud, 21 September 2013 - 06:49 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#25 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

When those who criticise the rfl for not paying to expand start to attend international games, magic weekend etc giving the rfl funds to support expansion then fair enough. But at present I am not sure where this magical fund comes from that people keep talking about to under pin London

From that tree me mam always said it didn't grow on....

#26 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Spud's already answered this fairly well.

And it's funny you mention the nzrl, half if my team here have been involved in Samoa development camps I the past month, something the nzrl actively encourages here in NZ.

That's great to hear, but how long has that been happening?
I really hope this isn't a case of "look what we're doing now. Come on you lot, keep up!" when the RFL have been developing the game in Europe for over a decade. It's about time those in the Southern Hemisphere caught up.

That said, my point was the damage that would be suffered by the British game of the nzrl or rlc closed shop on them, but you must have been a bit busy deciding which toys to throw out of the pram next.

Close the shop how? What do the Aussies (ARLC, not the RLC) or Kiwis do for the RFL? I really hope you're not getting at what I think it is you're getting at, because if it is it would be extremely arrogant.

I'd also argue your point about the rfl doing more to develop international league than anyone else, firstly, your point was that it's not the RFLs job to do this, then you try to throw the progressive argument back at me, choose a side mate, you are arguing with yourself now.

It isn't the RFL's job to do it. But they have been doing it. And because of what they've been doing, there is a body in place now that's self sustaining that takes care of the game in Europe.
What have the Aussies and Kiwis been doing for the last ten years to develop the game in the Pacific?
You can't keep giving a man a fish. You've got to teach him to.

I'd say that the French by creating meaningful international competition, or te all golds by bringing the game to the Southern Hemisphere have done more to develop the game than the rfl, I mean they only ended up with the nrl didn't they, or was that something the rfl did?

If you're gonna go down that line pal, then the RFL have done more than anyone by actually creating the game and sharing it with the Aussies.

You can't pick and choose your arguments.

My standpoint on this I that the rfl have done a lot to develop the game at grass roots in Europe an they must continue to do, if they don't help to develop legitimate competition, they will have no one to compete against and will be back to being percieved as a sport played in northern English villages. That's the reality of the direction they seem to be taking.

And they will do, even though they don't have to. But it's not a priority. And a body has been created by the RFL to also look after it. What more do you want with limited funds?

I think you need to get off your pedestal.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users