Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

UKIP and Guido Fawkes

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,730 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Oh dear... Guido Fawkes posted a bit of a side-swipe dig, as he does, at UKIP for having a front cover of their conference full of hundreds of people, all white.  It's obviously got the UKIP people a bit frothy mouthed as the comments are quite amusing to read.  Linky to Guido Fawkes blog

The most sensible comment on there is:  Vote UKIP... get Miliband.  Very true and something many UKIP voters really just don't seem to get.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

The comments on that site - dear me, there are some incredibly stupid/pompous/revolting people on the internet.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:

#4 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

The comments on that site - dear me, there are some incredibly stupid/pompous/revolting people on the internet.

Unfortunately those same people live in the real world aswell

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Unfortunately those same people live in the real world aswell

Thankfully most of them don't get out much...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ignore for a minute that it is UKIP. The big 2 parties always come out with this 'wasted vote' line. What they really mean is they don't want their respective positions challenged and the status quo changing.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,730 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ignore for a minute that it is UKIP. The big 2 parties always come out with this 'wasted vote' line. What they really mean is they don't want their respective positions challenged and the status quo changing.

There is that but, rare and very unusual coalitions aside, protest votes generally are wasted.  In this case though, each Tory that votes UKIP is a bonus for Labour.  There are UKIP members from all aspects of society but there are a disproportionate number of people I've seen saying "I used to vote Tory but now UKIP".  I suppose it's the same as those, like me, who gave up Labour and voted Lib Dem only to see my vote essentially go to create a Tory government.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

It's ironic that they peddle the "wasted vote" but still claim that the voting system is fair.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,730 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

UKIP responds (Channel 4 video)  :D :D

#10 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

It's difficult to work out who's worse - UKIP, Guido Fawkes, or the people commenting on Guido's website.

That's me.  I'm done.

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Brilliant!   Another Prescott moment. We need more!    Crick's agenda was patently obvious and it serves him right!  

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Vote UKIP... get Miliband.  Very true and something many UKIP voters really just don't seem to get.

Vote Tory and get Clegg; it's the flip side of the same coin.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,966 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

It's difficult to work out who's worse - UKIP, Guido Fawkes, or the people commenting on Guido's website.

They are all worse.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

I have just heard the Geoffrey Bloom 'sluts' comments. I may be the only one who thinks this but I think there has been a ludicrous over reaction. It was clearly a joke and IMO it is a worrying sign if hysteria like this occurs.

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have just heard the Geoffrey Bloom 'sluts' comments. I may be the only one who thinks this but I think there has been a ludicrous over reaction. It was clearly a joke and IMO it is a worrying sign if hysteria like this occurs.

If you or I said it in front of our mates, definitely. But for a politician at a public meeting no, not at all. Put it this way, f I said such a thing while at work I'd expect to be disciplined. And if I said it a meeting with a client possibly the sack.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#16 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Its an interesting problem for me that I can't vote for either of the two major parties.

I can't vote labour because of their record of fiscal irresponsibility and lack of business sense.

I can't vote conservative because of their socially conservative pro religious outlook, not to mention that the fringes like to change leader whenever possible. (OK labour can go in for that last one at times too)

Going smaller I can't vote lib dem because they've proven they can't negotiate or stick to their guns.

I can't vote UKIP because I don't agree with any of their major beliefs.

The only answer for me is smaller political parties that actually know what they stand for, and a better electoral system. Neither is likely to happen. OK it would mean more coalitions but I honestly don't think that would be a disaster. Germany seems to manage quite well.

PS isn't there a day coming up when its fitting to burn Guido Fawkes?

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

If you or I said it in front of our mates, definitely. But for a politician at a public meeting no, not at all. Put it this way, f I said such a thing while at work I'd expect to be disciplined. And if I said it a meeting with a client possibly the sack.

Whilst I know what you mean, it was definitely done in a jokey style and not malicious. It isn't even like he said it in private behind anyone's
back.

And how long until someone is reported for something similar in a private conversation?

#18 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Its an interesting problem for me that I can't vote for either of the two major parties.

I can't vote labour because of their record of fiscal irresponsibility and lack of business sense.

I can't vote conservative because of their socially conservative pro religious outlook, not to mention that the fringes like to change leader whenever possible. (OK labour can go in for that last one at times too)

Going smaller I can't vote lib dem because they've proven they can't negotiate or stick to their guns.

I can't vote UKIP because I don't agree with any of their major beliefs.

The only answer for me is smaller political parties that actually know what they stand for, and a better electoral system. Neither is likely to happen. OK it would mean more coalitions but I honestly don't think that would be a disaster. Germany seems to manage quite well.

PS isn't there a day coming up when its fitting to burn Guido Fawkes?

You could vote Green.  They seem a sensible bunch on many issues.    Depending where you live you might even have a local party string enough to win council seats.

That's me.  I'm done.

#19 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

You could vote Green.  They seem a sensible bunch on many issues.    Depending where you live you might even have a local party string enough to win council seats.

Until the Greens become sensible on nuclear power (eg support research in to fusion and MSR's) instead of this blanket 'everything nuclear is bad' idea I have problem with how they look at science. I just can't seen any other realistic way of reducing our carbon emissions.

In fairness though they are probably as close as I'll get at the moment without starting my own party, which would undoubtedly only get one vote, possibly two if my wife was feeling generous.

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Until the Greens become sensible on nuclear power (eg support research in to fusion and MSR's) instead of this blanket 'everything nuclear is bad' idea I have problem with how they look at science. I just can't seen any other realistic way of reducing our carbon emissions.

In fairness though they are probably as close as I'll get at the moment without starting my own party, which would undoubtedly only get one vote, possibly two if my wife was feeling generous.

I think it's not so much science that is their problem but technology.  I think they're still too anti-technology to get my vote and support, but they are at least a realistic alternative to the big 3.     If I didn't vote Labour I would almost certainly vote Green.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users