Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So... What's Wrong At Hull FC?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,954 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Well, I'm completely puzzled by this. Great stadium. Large fan base. Recognisable club steeped in history. Owner who can splash the cash. Good juniors coming through.

How can a club like that produce a 76-18 loss in a play-off game?! What's going wrong? It's easy to just blame the coach but surely there must be more to it than that?

I'm hoping someone looking from the outside can offer some insight that maybe myself and the other Hull fans aren't seeing! It's just completely deflating.
Posted Image

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

The same problem that has plagued Hull for a few years,the lack of a consistent creative halfback.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Did you lose any other games by a similar margin? I don't recall any.

Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on one game (even if it was a shocker).

#4 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well, I'm completely puzzled by this. Great stadium. Large fan base. Recognisable club steeped in history. Owner who can splash the cash. Good juniors coming through.

How can a club like that produce a 76-18 loss in a play-off game?! What's going wrong? It's easy to just blame the coach but surely there must be more to it than that?

I'm hoping someone looking from the outside can offer some insight that maybe myself and the other Hull fans aren't seeing! It's just completely deflating.

Hull got hammered in the playoffs in 2005 but they also won the Challenge Cup that year. Sometimes there are very mixed fortunes in a season. Hull got to the CC Final this season. Hull have some decent young players. Things can improve.

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Recovery from having Kath Hetherington as the Chair Person will take a while.

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Recovery from having Kath Hetherington as the Chair Person will take a while.

They had problems before that,any excuse eh!

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#7 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I don't see why this result should be a shock when their recruitment policy consists of bringing in average players from bottom-half teams.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,415 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

don't fret...it was a one off. Happens to all clubs.

#9 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

don't fret...it was a one off. Happens to all clubs.

Sometimes it's a lot more than a one off, I can swear to that . I'm not suggesting this is the case with Hull, I don't know what happened last night but their defence has been winning them games, I've only seen them 5 or 6 times this season and i've been waiting for them to click and give someone a right beating themselves, It looks like the aussies have seen the best of Ellis, Brisco going and Lynch, and for me Holdsworth has not really done the business yet, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gentle go.

There are often threads about the Giants deserving better support, at Hull it's more the other way round at the moment, They do get to finals and win things from time to time, remind me a lot of Warrington before they hit it big with T Smith and the new stadium,

Hull have all the right things in place to be a big club, sooner or later it will come right .

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#10 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

I wasn't suprised players like Pitts,Johnson and Crookes are barely SL standard. Gareth Ellis seems to be there only to earn his pension.

Then there are Arundal and Thompson very average Cas players at best. Feki seems another crazy signing. Hull will never ever be anything

other than a bottom half club if they continue to sign bottom half players.

#11 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I may well report Wellsy for plagiarism.

There was a thread with exactly the same title and sentiments before as he no doubt knows, surely there's no justification for another one?

Or maybe there is.

Perhaps I'll just shut up.  :(

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Loads of cash but always employ a hopeless coach and hopeless 'director of rugby' who in turn signs hopeless players. That simple, really. Must be ridiculously frustrating to support them.

Edited by TheTerminator, 20 September 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Posted Image

#13 geek

geek
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Curse of the Goat Fiddler

#14 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Bloody hell, some clubs / fans would kill for what the FC fans have had in the last decade.

Cc winners in 2005, saints, Wigan and wires only winners since.

fc like wires are the only clubs other than bulls, rhinos, saints and pies to play in a grand final.

Brand new stadium

Cheer up gentlemen.......

See I can think and be respectful !!

#15 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

keep buying players from cas, and eventually you will become..........cas

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#16 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

To answer the question, the manager is the problem.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Bloody hell, some clubs / fans would kill for what the FC fans have had in the last decade.
Cc winners in 2005, saints, Wigan and wires only winners since.
fc like wires are the only clubs other than bulls, rhinos, saints and pies to play in a grand final.
Brand new stadium
Cheer up gentlemen.......
See I can think and be respectful !!

No disrespect but Hull FC should be doing more than the occasional cup final appearance

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

If anyone had said before the start of the season we'd get to Wembley *and* make the second round of the playoffs I'd have laughed and told them where to go.

The manner of both high profile defeats is what makes it hard to be pleased with the season's achievements.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#19 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

If anyone had said before the start of the season we'd get to Wembley *and* make the second round of the playoffs I'd have laughed and told them where to go.

The manner of both high profile defeats is what makes it hard to be pleased with the season's achievements.

I'm shocked if any Hull FC fan would be happy with this season when you consider The club's set-up, their potential and financial well being. Manager must go for them to move forward.

#20 meast

meast
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

or maybe they were soundly beaten by opponents who were red hot? it can happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users