38 replies to this topic

#21 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

keep buying players from cas, and eventually you will become..........cas

Ouch! Those scratches sting....

Some of the other posts in the thread do capture it more eloquently.

A few eyebrows were raised at Cas when they came in for Arundel. Westerman has not developed as planned & to me looks like he is coasting.

They look desperate for a Dobsonesque type half and a coach who can get some devil & mongrel into them

#22 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'm shocked if any Hull FC fan would be happy with this season when you consider The club's set-up, their potential and financial well being. Manager must go for them to move forward.

I didn't say I was happy. However, if we'd have gone down in the manner of St Helens in both the CCF and last night's game, we probably would be. On the whole, Hull FC have improved on the last few seasons. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. Perhaps Gentle has taken us as far as he can. I woukd be looking at stengthening tue back room staff, personally. As nice as Andy Last and Lee Radford are, I'm not convinced theyre the best people for those positions. I'd like to see them prove themselves elsewhere and then come back when they've climbed the ladder of coaching experience. Some new blood in the backroom, people who haven't been slowly institutionalised at the club, could work wonders for the culture of Hull FC.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#23 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

I disagree with a lot said about Hull's squad, i think it is reasonably strong and should never be having 70 point on them. For example, compare the back row of both teams yesterday:

If you compare the teams on paper, Hull should have been competitive at the least.

I look at teams game plans and if the players know their roles and it is apparent Hull have no plans and the players haven't got a clue, that boils down to the coach.

Hull have actually gone backwards under Gentle, he may be a nice bloke but he can't coach. A good coach can make any teams improve and individually the players have gone backwards as well, i can't believe the role which he has had Westerman playing.

Crooks, Lineham and Shaul offer hope for the future but they will need a better coach to take them forward.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

They look desperate for a Dobsonesque type half

The problem is we've wanted a good halfback for the last fifteen years and it's like nobody at the club can see it. I was hoping Miller might fit the bill but I'm not impressed so far. Maybe he might prove me wrong with a good pre season under his belt where he can impose his game onto the team and take it into the new season

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

I think Miller has done very well under the circumstances.

He'll be even better with a good preseason, markmiwerdz.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

Interesting viewpoints. The city certainly produces several great young players. Cooke, Yeaman and Horne were the ones in the mid noughties. Rovers started to produce a couple too. Hull don't seem to be able to find the half backs but Rovers have done quite well there.

Are the coaches always to blame? Easy target but Rovers have had a decent coach or maybe two, the current one has done well despite Wigan picking off Taylor and Blake Green etc. Now Briscoes going so a problem is top players maybe don't see Hull as a place where they are going to win anything. Still there's always overseas players to shore up the gaps and again Rovers have picked some great imports from Vella to Patterson.

Certainly in recent years enough top quality in terms of coaching, young local players, quality imports and creative halfbacks have arrived in the city of Hull but they've been split up with some to the KC and some to NCP and have never come together in one side. In failing to compete with the big four/five, it seems some of the quality then hit the road to go looking for medals. Pearson has the money but so do the successful sides who also offer medals. Anyway to get two sides finishing in the top eight and 18,000 regular Hull/Rovers bums on seats is an achievement of sorts.

#27 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

simply too many non sl standard players-pitts,watts etc- if the good youngsters don't see quality coming in to the team they will "want away" am sure leeds Salford hudds will have a spot for them.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

simply too many non sl standard players-pitts,watts etc- if the good youngsters don't see quality coming in to the team they will "want away" am sure leeds Salford hudds will have a spot for them.

Not just youngsters like Briscoe, but quality imports like Manu. Same at Rovers where young Taylor turned HullFC down for Wigan and quality import Blake Green went with him......

#29 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Not just youngsters like Briscoe, but quality imports like Manu. Same at Rovers where young Taylor turned HullFC down for Wigan and quality import Blake Green went with him......

Before he came to England would you have called Blake Green a "quality" import?

rldfsignature.jpg

#30 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

I feel like I've given my own view on this enough times to be considered some sort of troll.

There seems to have been a bedrock of players who have been omnipresent through years of underachievement who are basically undroppable. And if they are dropped, as soon as their replacement has a poor game they're rushed back into the side. 

A Hull fan on another forum described Yeaman better than I ever could: like that bloke in work who does ###### all all week, and then turns up on Saturday for the overtime because he's so far behind.

Incidentally, I see Westerman as the next player to join this club.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

Before he came to England would you have called Blake Green a "quality" import?

No but he turned out to be quality enough for a top club to take him away from the city of Hull. Watched him live sew up the play off game at Fartown . Equally Willi Manu is a top top player watched him live last night and Saints took him away from the city too. So whether you develop your own stars or whether imports star for you, the top clubs take them away and that's a problem.

So you need a top club in Hull not two mediocre ones don't you? To have a top team you surely need young talent like Briscoe, Taylor, AND imports like Green and Manu staying put.

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,026 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hull FC seem to have had a glass ceiling for a long time now.

Is it because they (may) always have half an eye on Hull KR?

There was always a tendency to blame their annual injury crisis, so is there a problem with the quality of the backroom staff?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Certainly in recent years enough top quality in terms of coaching, young local players, quality imports and creative halfbacks have arrived in the city of Hull but they've been split up with some to the KC and some to NCP and have never come together in one side. In failing to compete with the big four/five, it seems some of the quality then hit the road to go looking for medals.

Are you making stuff up again?
Posted Image

#34 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Ah yes, definitely making stuff up.
Taylor didn't turn Hull down. Hudgell wouldn't sell him to Hull.
But if it fits the argument...
Posted Image

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Is it because they (may) always have half an eye on Hull KR?

HKR have an effect as the always welcome correction states. Hudgell barred a top prospect as far as Wigan were concerned going there. If junior development is the way forward the two Hull clubs will be fighting each other over that. Hull have already tried to milk HKR for talent enticing players to cross over. If Hull succeed in capturing the best they may well rise to the top again, maybe at the neighbours expense. And that's my lot on the growing pains on Humberside.

Edited by The Parksider, 21 September 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Is Scott Taylor a "top prospect"?

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

When I went to watch Leeds at Hull this season I was impressed at how well Hull played and it could have been a landslide first half for Hull if they hadn't blown at least x3 maybe x4 golden opportunities.  As it was the game was won easily by Hull in that first half.

So I left Hull thinking they would be real challengers, especially considering how easily they opened up Leeds.  So ignoring that Leeds had a couple of injuries as in any game it seems odd to me to go from that sort of performance to that at Huddersfield.

If I was a Hull fan I'd be remembering the Leeds trouncing as the real Hull.

Edited by redjonn, 21 September 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#38 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

When I went to watch Leeds at Hull this season I was impressed at how well Hull played and it could have been a landslide first half for Hull if they hadn't blown at least x3 maybe x4 golden opportunities.  As it was the game was won easily by Hull in that first half.

So I left Hull thinking they would be real challengers, especially considering how easily they opened up Leeds.  So ignoring that Leeds had a couple of injuries as in any game it seems odd to me to go from that sort of performance to that at Huddersfield.

If I was a Hull fan I'd be remembering the Leeds trouncing as the real Hull.

I'm totally confused as to what the real Hull is. Jekyll and Hyde springs to mind.

rldfsignature.jpg

#39 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I think Miller has done very well under the circumstances.

He'll be even better with a good preseason, markmiwerdz.

I like Miller too. He's not the problem in the halves.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users